Getting MBA worth? - Page 13 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Getting MBA worth?

Old 21-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what about SMU grads? XD

SMU has produced many remarkable candiates in such short span of its history in particular its double summa cum laude undergrads for the financial industry. Many high achievers in this area. However, as far as MBA goes. the other two local older institutions have the higher brand profile factor.

Old 21-10-2021, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
SMU has produced many remarkable candiates in such short span of its history in particular its double summa cum laude undergrads for the financial industry. Many high achievers in this area. However, as far as MBA goes. the other two local older institutions have the higher brand profile factor.
Yeah, i am the poster who asked since i am currently studying an MBA from SMU.

Couldn't get into the older institutions for their MBA or even Masters programmes because my GMAT score was lousy.

But imo, as long as your MBA is accredited and is recognized globally, it is definitely worth the money.

Part time MBAs also have their own charm, especially if you are unable to pay for the fees at Harvard/Insead and cannot afford a sabbatical.

Old 21-10-2021, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Couldn't get into the older institutions for their MBA or even Masters programmes because my GMAT score was lousy.

But imo, as long as your MBA is accredited and is recognized globally, it is definitely worth the money.

Part time MBAs also have their own charm, especially if you are unable to pay for the fees at Harvard/Insead and cannot afford a sabbatical.

Cant help but agreed with your statement.

Old 21-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

And I am the poster who is in part-time mba one of the top 100 universities. I think we all agree, as long as they are accredited, all is fine. Agree, either full time or part time, both has its advantages. For me part time I can work and the salary I save can pay off my MBA fees without having to borrow or loan, while at the same time gaining my years of experience. (But these 2 years life gonna be tough, gg to most social life)

End of the day, for us, the above average people, it's just a piece of paper to most companies, and when got job opening in a higher management role, these stakeholders aren't gonna compare which recognised university we got our MBA from, but rather what job experience and capability you have for the role and whether can adopt and fit into their system/job scope
Old 21-10-2021, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
And I am the poster who is in part-time mba one of the top 100 universities. I think we all agree, as long as they are accredited, all is fine. Agree, either full time or part time, both has its advantages. For me part time I can work and the salary I save can pay off my MBA fees without having to borrow or loan, while at the same time gaining my years of experience. (But these 2 years life gonna be tough, gg to most social life)

End of the day, for us, the above average people, it's just a piece of paper to most companies, and when got job opening in a higher management role, these stakeholders aren't gonna compare which recognised university we got our MBA from, but rather what job experience and capability you have for the role and whether can adopt and fit into their system/job scope
Yeap, i cannot debate much regarding this. I am assuming i am above average purely because an MBA is not that common compared to the thousands of graduates with Bachelor Degrees these days.

I also echo your sentiments regarding paying off MBA fees by yourself, sure makes you feel good and rich lol.

Inb4 an MBA is worth only what you make out of it. But i think it's extremely useful for anyone who wishes to get into management and/or get a huge pay jump in the corporate world.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 21-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeap, i cannot debate much regarding this. I am assuming i am above average purely because an MBA is not that common compared to the thousands of graduates with Bachelor Degrees these days.

I also echo your sentiments regarding paying off MBA fees by yourself, sure makes you feel good and rich lol.

Inb4 an MBA is worth only what you make out of it. But i think it's extremely useful for anyone who wishes to get into management and/or get a huge pay jump in the corporate world.
You feel good about paying for your own MBA?

Mai siao leh. If you were really that rich you would light money on fire in front of beggars.

Old 21-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You feel good about paying for your own MBA?

Mai siao leh. If you were really that rich you would light money on fire in front of beggars.
Yes i feel good. And yes i light money on fire in front of beggars and laugh at them because i am such a badass.

100% serious bro.
Old 21-10-2021, 10:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Where do the typical SMU summa cum laude finance graduates go to post-graduation? Are they typically IBs and Buy-side roles?
Old 21-10-2021, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I studied executive MBA for 2 years while working full time paying my own school fees. If you studied part time MBA before, you will sure know that it is even tougher because you need to balance both work and school. When i took up the programme. Everyday i bring 2 laptop to work, one office and one for my mba and i multitask every day for 2 years. After that evening i go lessons, for those days i dont have lessons, i will be doing my assignments after dinner all the way till 2am. Both my weekends are burnt too. Not to mention i still need to complete my master's thesis to graduate. Today, when i see someone willingly to study part time will working, regardless which academic level, i really salute them because they have that determination that not everyone has.
Old 22-10-2021, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Where do the typical SMU summa cum laude finance graduates go to post-graduation? Are they typically IBs and Buy-side roles?
IB and MBB lor standard.