Getting MBA worth? - Page 5 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Getting MBA worth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default was etrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm currently 25 yo, hav 1.5 years of experience in engineering. I'm tragetting MBA of overseas branded uni for a career switch. Can I know more about:
Other than Stanford Harvard Wharton etc, how can I judge if it is a top-tier uni, and how does the market value the MBA of that uni? Is it enough to judge by the global MBA ranking? What are the factors I can look into?
Yes, the global MBA ranking tables will be a good start to shortlisting potential B-schools. Try the FT rankings. Else, talk to alumnito get a real feel. For example, a school may rank very well in terms of graduates' career and salary progression, but this may be due to reasons unrelated to the school. E.g., if the school offers many scholarships to government officials who have been earmarked for high positions, these graduates will undoubtedly fly high very soon in their careers. And tht isn't because of the MBA.

But based on the profile you have shared, it will be tough getting an offer from the premier B-schools. In fact, based on your profile, it will even be difficult to stand out from the applicants to NUS, NTU, SMU. there are probably 10k+ applicants to NUS, NTU, SMU each year; while the eventual intake is around 300 - 500. At top tier B-schools, the intake rate will be even more competitive.

Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good for you but yours is very likely a far outlier case. Usually if u don't start out right post masters, it's very very difficult to right the career ship (which is why there is so much pressure to land the right role post masters).

Looking at the numbers, u were prob an avp post graduation, prob recently promoted to avp as its the low end of spectrum. At $20k, thats a well paid VP at a foreign bank (if $20k is base) or a low bonus VP (if it's all in comp). So effectively u had to get promoted at least 1x and move to a foreign bank, at the most difficult time in the financial markets in decades.

Possible but not an optimal example for prospective MBA students. Optimal decisions are not made on outlier data points.
I think the point is that given the effort/opportunity cost vs reward, post graduate study is a no-brainer. Some people dont mind spending 100k to buy a toyota altis, but sting on self investment e.g mba study, grad study. I see that people who take risk in the form of grad study, running own business, taking overseas assigment 5 years ago are doing much better than those who take little or no risk.

Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, the global MBA ranking tables will be a good start to shortlisting potential B-schools. Try the FT rankings. Else, talk to alumnito get a real feel. For example, a school may rank very well in terms of graduates' career and salary progression, but this may be due to reasons unrelated to the school. E.g., if the school offers many scholarships to government officials who have been earmarked for high positions, these graduates will undoubtedly fly high very soon in their careers. And tht isn't because of the MBA.

But based on the profile you have shared, it will be tough getting an offer from the premier B-schools. In fact, based on your profile, it will even be difficult to stand out from the applicants to NUS, NTU, SMU. there are probably 10k+ applicants to NUS, NTU, SMU each year; while the eventual intake is around 300 - 500. At top tier B-schools, the intake rate will be even more competitive.
I was the previous poster that you were replying to. Thank you for the comment.

NUS/NTU/SMU are totally out of my aim. I'm targetting top MBA programs in Asia, planning to work overseas too. And I think to maximize the ROI of doing a MBA, I have to start as early as possible. By the time the programs starts I should have accumulated 3 years of working experience.

And you're right, my profile is rather weak with only a pass from NUS and 650 for GMAT, ppl around me all lol at me because i set my long-term goal at investment banking in bb.

What I can spin are my extensive international exposure, a few succesful business deals that I have made across Asia Pacific region for my MNC, and my continuous efforts in charity works. I have a good story to tell how my finance sparks were triggered, where I am now, where will I be 5 and 10 years later and how am I working towards it. I realize that many ppl don't even have a goal for his life. And I spent more than 1 year to realize mine, and draft it very specifically and ensure it makes the most logical sense. Hopefully all these will make me stand out from other candidates.

Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

IBs are superficial. They don't have the time to interview so many and hence rely on HR to do the CV filtering.

Analyst program: Minimum 2nd upper + strong internship experience. Your CV won't pass this.


Associate program: Reputable MBA. Your CV won't pass this.


If you really want to get into IB of a BB, you need to network. Find some way of getting to know people in the industry. Slowly make friends up to someone who can call the shots. Check all your contact points (distant relatives, your wife side as well)
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IBs are superficial. They don't have the time to interview so many and hence rely on HR to do the CV filtering.

Analyst program: Minimum 2nd upper + strong internship experience. Your CV won't pass this.


Associate program: Reputable MBA. Your CV won't pass this.


If you really want to get into IB of a BB, you need to network. Find some way of getting to know people in the industry. Slowly make friends up to someone who can call the shots. Check all your contact points (distant relatives, your wife side as well)
You're right, as of now my CV won't pass any of them, that's why I need a reputable MBA to rebrand myself. The network in investment banking that a school can provide is one of my criteria in selecting its program.

Thank you for the info anyway, really appreciate that.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
NUS/NTU/SMU are totally out of my aim. I'm targetting top MBA programs in Asia, planning to work overseas too.
You want top MBAs in Asia. Based on FT rankings, that'll be:
1) Insead
2) Hong Kong UST
3) Indian Institute of Management
4) Indian School of Business
5) NUS
6) NTU
I suppose you're only looking at Insead?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
with only a pass from NUS and 650 for GMAT
What I can spin are my extensive international exposure, a few succesful business deals that I have made across Asia Pacific region for my MNC, and my continuous efforts in charity works. I have a good story to tell how my finance sparks were triggered, where I am now, where will I be 5 and 10 years later and how am I working towards it.
At top MBA schools, your undergraduate results and GMAT score isn't going to be a major differentiator. I mean, what's the big diff between 600 and 800? International exposure, closing business deals and finance sparks ain't going to get the school excited about you either. These factors are given. I reckon that at least 70% of the applicants have this profile.

What can set you apart may be your charity works. Show that you are a socially responsible and driven person, in addition to be a motivated finance person wannabe.
Reply With Quote

  #47 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You want top MBAs in Asia. Based on FT rankings, that'll be:
1) Insead
2) Hong Kong UST
3) Indian Institute of Management
4) Indian School of Business
5) NUS
6) NTU
I suppose you're only looking at Insead?

At top MBA schools, your undergraduate results and GMAT score isn't going to be a major differentiator. I mean, what's the big diff between 600 and 800? International exposure, closing business deals and finance sparks ain't going to get the school excited about you either. These factors are given. I reckon that at least 70% of the applicants have this profile.

What can set you apart may be your charity works. Show that you are a socially responsible and driven person, in addition to be a motivated finance person wannabe.
1st choice is HKUST (prefer to live and work in HK), then INSEAD and CEIBS.

Thank you for the comment
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1st choice is HKUST (prefer to live and work in HK), then INSEAD and CEIBS.

Thank you for the comment
Out of that list, the only school you shld consider is Insead if you want to get into IB at a Bb
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

INSEAD is actually much more of a consulting feeder than IB.

- consultant
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1st choice is HKUST (prefer to live and work in HK), then INSEAD and CEIBS.

Thank you for the comment
Honestly, save your money and find an opportunity to start a business. MBA is a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats your net worth Avatar Investments and Net Worth 2688 26-02-2020 02:45 PM
Net worth? Mine is negative. debt Investments and Net Worth 31 12-05-2014 12:57 PM
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark It Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 15 20-06-2013 02:58 PM
What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays? pstarz Education and Personal Growth 20 06-02-2011 02:16 AM
legal profession not worth it? alarme Income and Jobs 3 05-04-2010 03:35 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,150 Replies, 5,289,963 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
428 Replies, 72,172 Views
Summer Internships 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 1,649 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,581 Replies, 1,227,407 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,010 Replies, 2,191,705 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
48 Replies, 6,574 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
879 Replies, 717,642 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,427 Replies, 1,485,807 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 95,575 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 121,424 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,699 Replies, 1,014,811 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,977 Replies, 1,802,132 Views
Chevron COBRA assesment, please... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 48,931 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,327 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,867 Replies, 3,648,269 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector) ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 1,944 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 75,898 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 429,877 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 4,423 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 197,410 Views
What are your Job benefits ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 6,977 Views
What course should I undertake?
8 Replies, 3,145 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 13,487 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 15,936 Views
What is the usual salary for...
4 Replies, 1,995 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 6,285 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 12,325 Views
Career at Keppel
3 Replies, 371 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 326,196 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2