Getting MBA worth? - Page 14 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Getting MBA worth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #131 (permalink)  
Old 22-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

someone with an MBA or worse, several masters... just strike me as they have too much time and no direction in life.

life is not about all these paperwork, if you are in it for the money.

Reply With Quote
  #132 (permalink)  
Old 22-10-2021, 10:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
someone with an MBA or worse, several masters... just strike me as they have too much time and no direction in life.

life is not about all these paperwork, if you are in it for the money.
so what do you suggest people do instead, if they want money?

Reply With Quote
  #133 (permalink)  
Old 22-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IB and MBB lor standard.
What about buy-side roles? Is it possible to enter the branded buy-side names as a fresh grad?

Reply With Quote
  #134 (permalink)  
Old 22-10-2021, 03:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What about buy-side roles? Is it possible to enter the branded buy-side names as a fresh grad?
it's possible but extremely difficult unless you already have an internship at a buy side role and can convert to perm, if that is the answer you want.
Reply With Quote
  #135 (permalink)  
Old 23-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeap, i cannot debate much regarding this. I am assuming i am above average purely because an MBA is not that common compared to the thousands of graduates with Bachelor Degrees these days.

I also echo your sentiments regarding paying off MBA fees by yourself, sure makes you feel good and rich lol.

Inb4 an MBA is worth only what you make out of it. But i think it's extremely useful for anyone who wishes to get into management and/or get a huge pay jump in the corporate world.
If you think getting an MBA will automatically get you a high paying job you are going to be sorely dissappinted. I have seen so many local CVs with NTU/NUS MBA applying for $6k p.m. jobs. So many.
Reply With Quote
  #136 (permalink)  
Old 24-10-2021, 12:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you think getting an MBA will automatically get you a high paying job you are going to be sorely disappointed. I have seen so many local CVs with NTU/NUS MBA applying for $6k p.m. jobs. So many.
Are you sure it is MBA or just Masters in a technical subject (e.g. Masters of Science, Engineering, Aerospace, Data Analytics, Finance, etc.)? Those are different and these can be taken after a bachelor's degree with 0 working experience.

And the intakes of MBAs are small annually, so need to define "many". CVs of Thousands? Hundreds?

But I agree also lah, as well as with others who mentioned in the previous posts, only if you are already in management role/high flyer then it is working taking. If 30 years old still in executive/specialist role and not even as an AM and barely earning 6k PM, err..... Don't expect too much.
Reply With Quote

  #137 (permalink)  
Old 25-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are you sure it is MBA or just Masters in a technical subject (e.g. Masters of Science, Engineering, Aerospace, Data Analytics, Finance, etc.)? Those are different and these can be taken after a bachelor's degree with 0 working experience.

And the intakes of MBAs are small annually, so need to define "many". CVs of Thousands? Hundreds?

But I agree also lah, as well as with others who mentioned in the previous posts, only if you are already in management role/high flyer then it is working taking. If 30 years old still in executive/specialist role and not even as an AM and barely earning 6k PM, err..... Don't expect too much.
$6k/month at 30 years old is considered low?
Reply With Quote
  #138 (permalink)  
Old 25-10-2021, 04:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
$6k/month at 30 years old is considered low?


Poster137 has given his view and I do share his opinion. Here we are discussing about the merits of taking an MBA which currently cost approximately 70k in the big 3 local unis. A candidate not having achieved more than 6k at 30 years of age is not showing any evidence of a potential high flyer. MBA is meant for high achieving executives the objective of which is to provide an advance business education for up and coming professionals.

Henceforth the intake remains low and the admission criteria is skewed towards an applicant's employment track record. gmat score and assessment of his/her potential during am interview rather than the applicant's first degree. The aim of the program is to train future industry leaders.
Reply With Quote
  #139 (permalink)  
Old 25-10-2021, 07:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Poster137 has given his view and I do share his opinion. Here we are discussing about the merits of taking an MBA which currently cost approximately 70k in the big 3 local unis. A candidate not having achieved more than 6k at 30 years of age is not showing any evidence of a potential high flyer. MBA is meant for high achieving executives the objective of which is to provide an advance business education for up and coming professionals.

Henceforth the intake remains low and the admission criteria is skewed towards an applicant's employment track record. gmat score and assessment of his/her potential during am interview rather than the applicant's first degree. The aim of the program is to train future industry leaders.
Hi, Poster137 here. I am graduating soon from a local MBA and am "unfortunately" in the earning barely 6k a month at the age of 30 years old.

In my defense, i was underpaid for a long time and it is really hard to find a high paying job during a recession. So i am hoping that my salary jumps and promotion will come post MBA graduation.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #140 (permalink)  
Old 25-10-2021, 08:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Local MBAs are trash. HYP or INSEAD then can open doors
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats your net worth Avatar Investments and Net Worth 2918 08-02-2022 04:06 PM
Net worth? Mine is negative. debt Investments and Net Worth 31 12-05-2014 12:57 PM
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark It Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 15 20-06-2013 02:58 PM
What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays? pstarz Education and Personal Growth 20 06-02-2011 02:16 AM
legal profession not worth it? alarme Income and Jobs 3 05-04-2010 03:35 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
860 Replies, 176,117 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
174 Replies, 62,127 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,285 Replies, 878,947 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
868 Replies, 597,080 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,711 Replies, 2,260,148 Views
is this tech job normal? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 4,594 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
886 Replies, 226,431 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,015 Replies, 8,690,974 Views
HSBC Bank ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 57,963 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
440 Replies, 108,215 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,881 Replies, 6,243,413 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
202 Replies, 159,588 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,515 Replies, 1,973,523 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
706 Replies, 220,213 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,748 Replies, 820,385 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,141 Replies, 501,121 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,032 Replies, 794,370 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,010 Replies, 525,223 Views
Management Consultant in Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 68,587 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,848 Replies, 2,801,490 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,436 Replies, 3,380,855 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
858 Replies, 391,777 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
319 Replies, 210,263 Views
Reference Checks: Does SG HR... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
93 Replies, 150,530 Views
PSA International ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 24,078 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,048 Replies, 358,496 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,333 Replies, 2,233,805 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
311 Replies, 139,215 Views
Marriott International
0 Replies, 124 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2