Getting MBA worth? - Page 13 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Getting MBA worth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what about SMU grads? XD



SMU has produced many remarkable candiates in such short span of its history in particular its double summa cum laude undergrads for the financial industry. Many high achievers in this area. However, as far as MBA goes. the other two local older institutions have the higher brand profile factor.

Reply With Quote
  #122 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 04:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
SMU has produced many remarkable candiates in such short span of its history in particular its double summa cum laude undergrads for the financial industry. Many high achievers in this area. However, as far as MBA goes. the other two local older institutions have the higher brand profile factor.
Yeah, i am the poster who asked since i am currently studying an MBA from SMU.

Couldn't get into the older institutions for their MBA or even Masters programmes because my GMAT score was lousy.

But imo, as long as your MBA is accredited and is recognized globally, it is definitely worth the money.

Part time MBAs also have their own charm, especially if you are unable to pay for the fees at Harvard/Insead and cannot afford a sabbatical.

Reply With Quote
  #123 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 04:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah, i am the poster who asked since i am currently studying an MBA from SMU.

Couldn't get into the older institutions for their MBA or even Masters programmes because my GMAT score was lousy.

But imo, as long as your MBA is accredited and is recognized globally, it is definitely worth the money.

Part time MBAs also have their own charm, especially if you are unable to pay for the fees at Harvard/Insead and cannot afford a sabbatical.


Cant help but agreed with your statement.

Reply With Quote
  #124 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah, i am the poster who asked since i am currently studying an MBA from SMU.

Couldn't get into the older institutions for their MBA or even Masters programmes because my GMAT score was lousy.

But imo, as long as your MBA is accredited and is recognized globally, it is definitely worth the money.

Part time MBAs also have their own charm, especially if you are unable to pay for the fees at Harvard/Insead and cannot afford a sabbatical.
And I am the poster who is in part-time mba one of the top 100 universities. I think we all agree, as long as they are accredited, all is fine. Agree, either full time or part time, both has its advantages. For me part time I can work and the salary I save can pay off my MBA fees without having to borrow or loan, while at the same time gaining my years of experience. (But these 2 years life gonna be tough, gg to most social life)

End of the day, for us, the above average people, it's just a piece of paper to most companies, and when got job opening in a higher management role, these stakeholders aren't gonna compare which recognised university we got our MBA from, but rather what job experience and capability you have for the role and whether can adopt and fit into their system/job scope
Reply With Quote
  #125 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 06:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And I am the poster who is in part-time mba one of the top 100 universities. I think we all agree, as long as they are accredited, all is fine. Agree, either full time or part time, both has its advantages. For me part time I can work and the salary I save can pay off my MBA fees without having to borrow or loan, while at the same time gaining my years of experience. (But these 2 years life gonna be tough, gg to most social life)

End of the day, for us, the above average people, it's just a piece of paper to most companies, and when got job opening in a higher management role, these stakeholders aren't gonna compare which recognised university we got our MBA from, but rather what job experience and capability you have for the role and whether can adopt and fit into their system/job scope
Yeap, i cannot debate much regarding this. I am assuming i am above average purely because an MBA is not that common compared to the thousands of graduates with Bachelor Degrees these days.

I also echo your sentiments regarding paying off MBA fees by yourself, sure makes you feel good and rich lol.

Inb4 an MBA is worth only what you make out of it. But i think it's extremely useful for anyone who wishes to get into management and/or get a huge pay jump in the corporate world.
Reply With Quote
  #126 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeap, i cannot debate much regarding this. I am assuming i am above average purely because an MBA is not that common compared to the thousands of graduates with Bachelor Degrees these days.

I also echo your sentiments regarding paying off MBA fees by yourself, sure makes you feel good and rich lol.

Inb4 an MBA is worth only what you make out of it. But i think it's extremely useful for anyone who wishes to get into management and/or get a huge pay jump in the corporate world.
You feel good about paying for your own MBA?

Mai siao leh. If you were really that rich you would light money on fire in front of beggars.
Reply With Quote

  #127 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You feel good about paying for your own MBA?

Mai siao leh. If you were really that rich you would light money on fire in front of beggars.
Yes i feel good. And yes i light money on fire in front of beggars and laugh at them because i am such a badass.

100% serious bro.
Reply With Quote
  #128 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 10:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
SMU has produced many remarkable candiates in such short span of its history in particular its double summa cum laude undergrads for the financial industry. Many high achievers in this area. However, as far as MBA goes. the other two local older institutions have the higher brand profile factor.
Where do the typical SMU summa cum laude finance graduates go to post-graduation? Are they typically IBs and Buy-side roles?
Reply With Quote
  #129 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2021, 11:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah, i am the poster who asked since i am currently studying an MBA from SMU.

Couldn't get into the older institutions for their MBA or even Masters programmes because my GMAT score was lousy.

But imo, as long as your MBA is accredited and is recognized globally, it is definitely worth the money.

Part time MBAs also have their own charm, especially if you are unable to pay for the fees at Harvard/Insead and cannot afford a sabbatical.
I studied executive MBA for 2 years while working full time paying my own school fees. If you studied part time MBA before, you will sure know that it is even tougher because you need to balance both work and school. When i took up the programme. Everyday i bring 2 laptop to work, one office and one for my mba and i multitask every day for 2 years. After that evening i go lessons, for those days i dont have lessons, i will be doing my assignments after dinner all the way till 2am. Both my weekends are burnt too. Not to mention i still need to complete my master's thesis to graduate. Today, when i see someone willingly to study part time will working, regardless which academic level, i really salute them because they have that determination that not everyone has.
Reply With Quote
  #130 (permalink)  
Old 22-10-2021, 09:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Where do the typical SMU summa cum laude finance graduates go to post-graduation? Are they typically IBs and Buy-side roles?
IB and MBB lor standard.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats your net worth Avatar Investments and Net Worth 2880 16-01-2022 10:20 PM
Net worth? Mine is negative. debt Investments and Net Worth 31 12-05-2014 12:57 PM
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark It Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 15 20-06-2013 02:58 PM
What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays? pstarz Education and Personal Growth 20 06-02-2011 02:16 AM
legal profession not worth it? alarme Income and Jobs 3 05-04-2010 03:35 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
588 Replies, 353,421 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 84,230 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
611 Replies, 323,946 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,083 Replies, 795,802 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,287 Replies, 7,856,704 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 90,832 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,997 Replies, 1,662,723 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,474 Replies, 685,028 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,451 Replies, 458,719 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
448 Replies, 199,337 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
760 Replies, 368,415 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,193 Replies, 1,963,666 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,494 Replies, 5,315,320 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,316 Replies, 2,798,150 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,261 Replies, 622,486 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,035 Replies, 4,569,217 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 163,630 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
370 Replies, 131,016 Views
DSTA or CSIT ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 14,724 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,590 Replies, 790,128 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
500 Replies, 185,303 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
637 Replies, 498,465 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
191 Replies, 73,103 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
260 Replies, 97,692 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
149 Replies, 134,966 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
953 Replies, 314,403 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,442 Replies, 1,607,737 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,485 Replies, 2,750,873 Views
Cpf senior manager
4 Replies, 2,375 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
869 Replies, 266,264 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2