Part-time Electronics Engineering degree - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Part-time Electronics Engineering degree

Old 30-12-2011, 12:04 PM

how is on a distinguished road
Default Part-time Electronics Engineering degree

Hi all,

I'm planning to do a part-time Electronics degree. But i dunno which to choose. NTU/NUS/Unisim/Others.

Abit bout my history... After my O'lvl, I went to take Higher Nitec(Dover ITE) in Electronics. After my NS, I went to continue my studies and took a Dip in Electronics, Computer & Communication. Got a result of GPA (3.75). Currently a regular in MINDEF as i took a sponcership for my poly studies that time. I'm 26 yrs old this yr.

My concern about part-time NTU(5 yrs) is that it seems really long and tough. Distance traveling there 3 times a week for 5 yrs is also a pain.. Heard many of them drop out as a full-time student. So i guess its even harder for a part-time student who are working to take the same exam papers as the full-time student.

About Unisim Electronics(4 yrs).. its only 1 yr diff form NTU and i dunno how reconised Unisim's Electronics is. Dunno if it is even sufficiant to futher to Master degree outside. However it should be much more easier as compared to NTU as it is catered for working adults.

I would go for part-time rather then full-time as im not young anymore and would'nt want my income to frezze for another 3 yrs.

I sincerly hope to hear some advice from any of u out there. feel free to comment pls......

Old 30-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to do a part-time Electronics degree. But i dunno which to choose. NTU/NUS/Unisim/Others.

Abit bout my history... After my O'lvl, I went to take Higher Nitec(Dover ITE) in Electronics. After my NS, I went to continue my studies and took a Dip in Electronics, Computer & Communication. Got a result of GPA (3.75). Currently a regular in MINDEF as i took a sponcership for my poly studies that time. I'm 26 yrs old this yr.

My concern about part-time NTU(5 yrs) is that it seems really long and tough. Distance traveling there 3 times a week for 5 yrs is also a pain.. Heard many of them drop out as a full-time student. So i guess its even harder for a part-time student who are working to take the same exam papers as the full-time student.

About Unisim Electronics(4 yrs).. its only 1 yr diff form NTU and i dunno how reconised Unisim's Electronics is. Dunno if it is even sufficiant to futher to Master degree outside. However it should be much more easier as compared to NTU as it is catered for working adults.

I would go for part-time rather then full-time as im not young anymore and would'nt want my income to frezze for another 3 yrs.

I sincerly hope to hear some advice from any of u out there. feel free to comment pls......
Engineering is the worst career path to go....read around this forum

Old 30-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Unregistered

You'd be much better off with a part-time business degree from eg UniSIM. Got pretty girls too.

After graduating, work in lowly ops position in back office and move your way up. Much much better off than being a lowly engineer. Not forgetting ... Got pretty girls too.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 31-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You'd be much better off with a part-time business degree from eg UniSIM. Got pretty girls too.

After graduating, work in lowly ops position in back office and move your way up. Much much better off than being a lowly engineer. Not forgetting ... Got pretty girls too.
Yeah... Why be crazy to choose engineering.. If its so good and important sector.. Why is Singapore aggressively importing cheaper china engineers? If really die die go into engineering, you have to endure working with girls with mustache and biceps, they speak with low voices and pick their noses.. But not to worry, when you get retrench at 40 years old as an engineer, then can become taxi driver so you can finally pick up pretty girls as passenger.... But why go the long route?? You attracted to girls with mustache and biceps??
Old 31-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah... Why be crazy to choose engineering.. If its so good and important sector.. Why is Singapore aggressively importing cheaper china engineers? If really die die go into engineering, you have to endure working with girls with mustache and biceps, they speak with low voices and pick their noses.. But not to worry, when you get retrench at 40 years old as an engineer, then can become taxi driver so you can finally pick up pretty girls as passenger.... But why go the long route?? You attracted to girls with mustache and biceps??
haha... good one! happy new year!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 PM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

You first need to understand your own motivations. Are you thinking of pursuing this degree due to sheer passion for the subject? Or is it because you want to find a job in the engineering sector?

If the answer to either of these 2 questions is yes, then yes please go ahead, with the understanding that pursuing an electrical engineering bachelor's degree at NUS/NTU is not a walk in the park. It entails a fair amount of mathematics and you will need to have some flair and put in a lot of effort to do well in the course. I have seen some A level students fresh from school struggling through an engineering course and eventually ending up with low/no honours. I hazard to think that in your case it would be even more difficult as I can't imagine you honing your skills in calculus, PDEs and fourier transform while serving in the army.

If you aim to pursue a career in the sector, do spend some time finding out more about what kind of work is available and possible career paths.

If you are thinking of pursuing this for personal fulfillment, I suggest you consider pursuing an easier course, e.g. a part time degree in business. Maybe after that you can go into sales or marketing.

Yes, some engineering girls do have pretty big biceps.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:

erm.. is this a topic bout gals or work? lol. i know. i would like to work in a place with pretty gals too.. haha.. erm... Can u explain more about "lowly ops position in back office and move your way up"? i got NIL knowledge about business..

pls take my current situation into consideration.(age, cert, etc...)

What kind of business deg would u recommend me to take? is it reconized? will they take in ppl whom is already 32 yrs old? =p
Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 AM

y r there so many negative comments bout engineers? is it really tat bad??
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Engineer111

Default hedsid this

Well, it is very sad indeed that engineers are badly paid. I would like to share my experience with you.

I have a first class honour degree with electrical & electronics engineering from NTU. I have been working as a IC designer for 8 years and is currently at my third company.

Even with promotions and job hops, my average salary increment per year is ~3%. I was told that is the standard pay in the industry in Singapore. Not sure if that is true or not. If you are happy with that amount of pay, shoot for it.

I was very naive when I was young. I thought interest should take precedence over pay in one's career. I only realized that $$$ is indeed important (if not most important) after working for a few years and about to start a family.

Enough said, judge it yourself.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
y r there so many negative comments bout engineers? is it really tat bad??
Actually, it is not bad, but really bad at this present situation in Singapore.

First of all, there are limited vacancies for "local" high calibre engineers. Becausee, most of them are still hanging on with their jobs, if not, they are being replaced by "FT" or "FW" if it can be managed by them. Ultimately, companies look at cost and bottomline.

I shared the same sentiments with most of the guys here, go for a business related course instead. It will widen your knowledge and may increase your job scope in the future.