Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   anyone heard of Master of Arts in lifelong learning? (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/1435-anyone-heard-master-arts-lifelong-learning.html)

miwashi 21-07-2011 07:49 PM

anyone heard of Master of Arts in lifelong learning?

What kind of career path does it give you?

Inneart 22-07-2011 01:33 AM

LOL sounds like a joke please.

Joe123 22-07-2011 10:43 AM

i remember there is something similar, master in education arts of some sort. you can check out Kaplan.

Unregistered 22-07-2011 11:14 AM

Ma lll

Yes, Master of Arts in Lifelong Learning. it is being offered at the Institute for Adult Learning (IAL) (Institute for Adult Learning Singapore), a subsidiary under WDA, which is a stat board under MOM.

MA LLL is offered in collaboration with Institute of Education, University of London.
In fact I am enrolled as a 2nd batch under this programme. As for career pathway, am not really sure myself as well, seems a little hazy at this point, took it as i wanted to learn more.

IAL has informally informed the students that they are beefing up the Continuing Education and Training (CET) sector in Singapore, which is adult learning. For Singapore currently lags behind in the CET sector to countries such as Australia, UK and what nots. Even Malaysia is ahead of us in this aspect. So the plan so far is, get students to be armed with the Masters of Arts in LLL, so they can be practioner-researcher in the field of adult learning.

After we graduate, IAL will offer each of us a 2 yr contract as a researcher, so we will research and write academic papers for the CET field in Singapore. Right now, IAL employs expatriates such as Professors from the UK and Australia to help us research and write papers, and IAL hopes to get local students to be able to do that eventually.

There's another Masters offered by IAL, its Master in Training & Development (MTD) offered by Griffith University in Australia.

Difference between MA LLL and MTD is
MA LLL: research based, focus on critical thinking and adult learning concepts, theory.
MTD: coursework based, focus on practioner instructional design and training delivery, practice.

Hope this helps, and also hope IAL do have a solid career pathway for us ahead when we graduate.

warning 23-07-2011 11:05 PM

You might want to consider the Lifelong learning MA offered in Europe:
MALLL

Singaporeans are eligible for full scholarships:
Category A Scholarships - Third Country Students

Unregistered 24-07-2011 10:24 AM

MA LLL - lol. I'd rather do a Masters in Retirement or Masters in Lifelong Enjoyment or even better Master of Eternal Happiness. Hmm, speaking of which, an MEH beside my name looks rather cool eh?

meh.

Hermit 07-09-2011 04:34 PM

I am sorry but "lifelong learning" sounds like a trick the government has been playing on us for many many years. :mad:

Ryan002 04-11-2011 11:11 AM

It gives you a career in doing something productive for society (i.e. not finance related).

Unregistered 04-11-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan002 (Post 17756)
It gives you a career in doing something productive for society (i.e. not finance related).

Yeah... I don't understand why everyone is so critical here.

miwashi 04-11-2011 03:34 PM

Actually what is the field of people taking up this course? Mostly trainers right?
Because i would think it's strange for people who are not trainers to take this up with no solid career pathway confirmed.