Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Fresh grad dilemma (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/14029-fresh-grad-dilemma.html)

feelinglost 26-08-2021 04:35 PM

Fresh grad dilemma

Hi everyone,

I just graduated this year with a social science degree but still can't find a job as of yet. Since my degree is quite general I've applied for a range of jobs but with no luck.

Been wanting to pursue a career in UX design for some time now but didnt come round to it as it would take some time to study/take up courses. But since I havent had much luck in my job search I'm considering taking time off applying for jobs to beef up my UX portfolio instead.

Im not sure if I'll be making the right choice by doing so and am getting more and more demoralised with each passing day seeing how my friends have all already found a job :(

Any advice for a lost grad here? Thanks

Unregistered 26-08-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feelinglost (Post 181278)
Hi everyone,

I just graduated this year with a social science degree but still can't find a job as of yet. Since my degree is quite general I've applied for a range of jobs but with no luck.

Been wanting to pursue a career in UX design for some time now but didnt come round to it as it would take some time to study/take up courses. But since I havent had much luck in my job search I'm considering taking time off applying for jobs to beef up my UX portfolio instead.

Im not sure if I'll be making the right choice by doing so and am getting more and more demoralised with each passing day seeing how my friends have all already found a job :(

Want to study what you like, this is what you face. Simple.

Unregistered 26-08-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Want to pursue UX but don't want to put in the hours, you want employers to hand you a UX job with no portfolio/experience?

Unregistered 26-08-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

It may be due to your resume and cover letter. Make sure you customise them to the job applying, highlighting any skills or experience looked for in that job. All the best!

Unregistered 26-08-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

1) Redo your resume to make it short and simple.
2) Get a job via recruiter or a contract job. No experience, hard to hire unless your resume attracted their attention.

gurlInTech 26-08-2021 11:29 PM

I know a friend who graduated from political science degree and working as a UX designer. Its not that its not possible, but you just have to create your design portfolio first, its a basic as a designer. Whether you are an artist, a violinist, a dancer etc. People will take a video or photo of their work at the very least in this era.

Go google for people who are hired as UX designer and look at their portfolios for inspiration. But not everyone will upload their portfolio online.

Company work for profit and are not charities to hire you just because you are jobless. Its a harsh world but you will be okay. Good luck.

Unregistered 31-08-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181287)
Want to study what you like, this is what you face. Simple.

ROFL this is the best post in this thread thus far. Orbiquek am i right? HAHAHAHAH. Social science degree is useless in pragmatic singapore pls. Continue to be jobless.

Unregistered 31-08-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181705)
ROFL this is the best post in this thread thus far. Orbiquek am i right? HAHAHAHAH. Social science degree is useless in pragmatic singapore pls. Continue to be jobless.

They can become bloggers, authors, poets etc wah the world looks so beautiful

Unregistered 12-02-2022 01:31 PM

Join Civil Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181705)

Not true that social science degree is useless. Our civil service takes in social science graduates and pay them very well, regardless of job duties. As long as you have paper, they pay. Many of my niece's, nephews and friends' children treated well in civil service jobs.

Unregistered 13-02-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202651)
Not true that social science degree is useless. Our civil service takes in social science graduates and pay them very well, regardless of job duties. As long as you have paper, they pay. Many of my niece's, nephews and friends' children treated well in civil service jobs.

Aiya confirm got smartasses wanna talk down others one la must be bbfa alone at home so sad