Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Dillema: University of Melbourne vs SIM UOL (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/13376-dillema-university-melbourne-vs-sim-uol.html)

Nubhuman_Sigger 27-01-2021 05:30 PM

Dillema: University of Melbourne vs SIM UOL

Graduated from poly with a 3.3gpa. Want to pursue a business degree. Am currently holding an offer from University of Melbourne. Would going there put me in better stead than a SIM UOL degree? Money isn't really an issue.

Thank you all.

Unregistered 27-01-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubhuman_Sigger (Post 155269)
Graduated from poly with a 3.3gpa. Want to pursue a business degree. Am currently holding an offer from University of Melbourne. Would going there put me in better stead than a SIM UOL degree? Money isn't really an issue.

Thank you all.

This one is not distance learning right?
But involve flying over to melbourne and get a physical degree?

If it is so, go for it

Nubhuman_Sigger 27-01-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155273)
This one is not distance learning right?
But involve flying over to melbourne and get a physical degree?

If it is so, go for it

Due to the covid situation, I will study online from Singapore in 2021. Most likely, I will fly over there 2022 to complete the degree.

Forgot to mention that money isn't an issue, so the fact that I'm technically getting ripped off by paying 40k a year for zoom tutorials doesn't bother me. All I care about is the recognition of the end cert.

In this sense, how does a Melbourne degree compare to a SIM UOL degree? I am aware that Australian unis are generally looked down upon in SG due to their ease of entry. But there should be no confusing UniMelb as a DL degree - RMIT is the Victorian university partnered with SIM, not University of Melbourne.

Unregistered 27-01-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubhuman_Sigger (Post 155274)
Due to the covid situation, I will study online from Singapore in 2021. Most likely, I will fly over there 2022 to complete the degree.

Forgot to mention that money isn't an issue, so the fact that I'm technically getting ripped off by paying 40k a year for zoom tutorials doesn't bother me. All I care about is the recognition of the end cert.

In this sense, how does a Melbourne degree compare to a SIM UOL degree? I am aware that Australian unis are generally looked down upon in SG due to their ease of entry. But there should be no confusing UniMelb as a DL degree - RMIT is the Victorian university partnered with SIM, not University of Melbourne.

Generally, there is no distinction between an Australian on campus degree and private degree (Kaplan, MDIS, SIM) provided in Singapore. Go study in Australia for PR opportunities, or if you wanna work outside of Singapore. Otherwise save your money and go down the private route, because your Melbourne degree will be considered the same tier as private degree. ROI not there.

Unregistered 27-01-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155275)
Generally, there is no distinction between an Australian on campus degree and private degree (Kaplan, MDIS, SIM) provided in Singapore. Go study in Australia for PR opportunities, or if you wanna work outside of Singapore. Otherwise save your money and go down the private route, because your Melbourne degree will be considered the same tier as private degree. ROI not there.

Same tier ok, good for you then. But not true

Unregistered 28-01-2021 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155293)

If you are talking about recognition and have money to spare. Go Melbourne, at least there is the hi seems branding when one come back to work. On the other hand, local private are usually seen as norm farmers by employers.

Unregistered 28-01-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155293)

How is it not true? Australian unis are not well regarded by employers in SG. This is no secret.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155303)
If you are talking about recognition and have money to spare. Go Melbourne, at least there is the hi seems branding when one come back to work. On the other hand, local private are usually seen as norm farmers by employers.

I would actually argue the opposite, that UOL has superior branding to Melbourne. General rule of thumb is UK uni > Australian uni.

Unregistered 29-01-2021 01:42 AM

Really depends on your drive and how you will perform. If you’re driven, a SIM or UOM degree doesn’t really matter. There are success stories from both places.

Nubhuman_Sigger 29-01-2021 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155368)
Really depends on your drive and how you will perform. If you’re driven, a SIM or UOM degree doesn’t really matter. There are success stories from both places.

A non-answer

All things equal, which degree will take me further?

Unregistered 29-01-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubhuman_Sigger (Post 155369)
A non-answer

All things equal, which degree will take me further?

the workplace today requires skill in navigating human relationships. most people just stumble here as we have neither learned it nor experienced it