Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   SMU Info Sys VS NTU Econs (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/1325-singapore-management-university-info-sys-vs-nanyang-technological-university-econs.html)

blueplayz 26-04-2011 02:27 PM

SMU Info Sys VS NTU Econs

Hello everybody, I've recently received 2 offers of acceptance for the two aforementioned courses and I need help in deciding which to go for.

The thing is I would be greatly interested in studying either of the two as I have the passion for both biz-tech applications AND also economic policy analysis and development. I guess a key factor, then, in helping me decide which to choose would be future employment prospects. I know plenty pretty much boils down to the individual but one cant deny that the two degrees both offer competitive advantages over the other.

I hope the seniors and working adults here can contribute their opinions and advice regarding this. Cheers!

Unregistered 26-04-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueplayz (Post 11602)
Hello everybody, I've recently received 2 offers of acceptance for the two aforementioned courses and I need help in deciding which to go for.

The thing is I would be greatly interested in studying either of the two as I have the passion for both biz-tech applications AND also economic policy analysis and development. I guess a key factor, then, in helping me decide which to choose would be future employment prospects. I know plenty pretty much boils down to the individual but one cant deny that the two degrees both offer competitive advantages over the other.

I hope the seniors and working adults here can contribute their opinions and advice regarding this. Cheers!

Theres a saying for Tech Line, you wil not grow hungry when u are in it. Instead your starting pay will be higher den those other non-engineering line. But you will not get RICH too.

Therefore I will recommend you to go into Econs, I would think is better future.

My two cents and sad to say am in TECH line. haiz...

Unregistered 26-04-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11603)
Theres a saying for Tech Line, you wil not grow hungry when u are in it. Instead your starting pay will be higher den those other non-engineering line. But you will not get RICH too.

Therefore I will recommend you to go into Econs, I would think is better future.

My two cents and sad to say am in TECH line. haiz...

i don't agree with you. a lot of ntu econs graduate are having problems looking for jobs right now. ntu is not known for its humanities faculty. in fact, if it is between NUS FASS and SMU IS, i will recommend NUS FASS. But right now, take the SMU option, you'll still be able to take some econs modules and learn smth you like.

Unregistered 26-04-2011 06:27 PM

Why didn't you apply for NUS? You should be good enough since you got into SMU and NTU. Ever considered Maths and Econs in NTU?

blueplayz 26-04-2011 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the insights so far, to the person above, I applied for NUS FASS too but have yet to receive any offer.

I wish to pursue an MBA too in the future, which degree would put me in good stead for this too?

Unregistered 27-04-2011 11:09 PM

go SMU and choose econs as a second major:
Second Major Options - Economics

I agree with the above comment that NTU is not really well-known for econs.
Many people see it as a NUS-rejects course (not a fair statement I know, but I can't change people's mindset)