Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   prospects of a scholar (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/1286-prospects-scholar.html)

Unregistered 04-04-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10923)
You are so wrong...

you said he was wrong in estimating DSTA CE making ~900k. what would be your estimate?

Unregistered 04-04-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10926)
You are right in that at the end of 6 years, you'd be in middle management.. typically DSTA staff start at grade 6. If as a scholar you do well, in 4-5 years you would make grade 8 (senior engineer) and would have held the title of "project manager". Note that this title is not taken lightly in dsta context because it sounds trivial but you bear full responsibility for your project. You would then likely be seconded out (perhaps DrTech or MINDEF) or rotated within DSTA (unless of cse you express a strong desire to continue what you are currently doing) for more exposure to upper management (more "tests" for you). The main thing they are looking out for is your ability to make things happen out of your own initiative. Because that's the kind of leadership that they want. (actually what all organisations want)

Amen!
This guy is speaking the truth.

Unregistered 04-04-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10926)
You are right in that at the end of 6 years, you'd be in middle management.. typically DSTA staff start at grade 6. If as a scholar you do well, in 4-5 years you would make grade 8 (senior engineer) and would have held the title of "project manager". Note that this title is not taken lightly in dsta context because it sounds trivial but you bear full responsibility for your project. You would then likely be seconded out (perhaps DrTech or MINDEF) or rotated within DSTA (unless of cse you express a strong desire to continue what you are currently doing) for more exposure to upper management (more "tests" for you). The main thing they are looking out for is your ability to make things happen out of your own initiative. Because that's the kind of leadership that they want. (actually what all organisations want)

Ok i have not heard of DSTA people becoming technical consultants on their own and providing services back to MINDEF (maybe i havent seen widely enough) though i have heard DSO people forming their own technical consultancies.. examples are LOOP (RF electronics), Dr Chew Siou Teck (icredo) and Dr Anthony Ng (d-crypt) and provided services back to the defence industry. But note that these people are very very established in their chosen fields, very well-known in the defence circle before striking out on their own. It may sound glamorous having your own consultancy but i've heard its very very tough to survive outside. nobody owes you a living.

again like i mentioned in my previous posts, you take up a scholarship BECAUSE you've already decided to make it your life-long career. Example, a teaching scholarship from PSC because you've already known early on you really really want to be a teacher or DSTA scholarship because you want to be an engineer in our defence industry. The scholarship thus makes your original choice sweeter because it gives you a headstart over your peers who want the same thing.

Its NOT the other way around where you become an engineer in the defence industry because because you took up the DSTA scholarship for watever reasons like: to study overseas, to make your parents proud, to go one up over your non-scholar sibling or whatever.

thank you for your enlightenment. it is indeed very insightful.
any idea whats after grade 9 and the remuneration? tks

Unregistered 07-04-2011 02:09 PM

ceirsu lancaster

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10945)
thank you for your enlightenment. it is indeed very insightful.
any idea whats after grade 9 and the remuneration? tks

Well, if I am not wrong, grade 8 is split into 2 tiers. Most people get stuck here for quite a while before getting grade 9 which comes with the title of principal engineer. I do not know the salary range. The highest grade is 16 which is for the CE. Below that, there is DCE, Dir, DD, AD and the other appointments like Program Managers, Head Capability Development etc. I do not know if there's a 1 to 1 mapping for the grade numbers to the appointment, maybe some appointment spans more than 1 grade?

Perhaps those who know SAF officer's salary ranges can provide a clearer picture. Old birds would recall a COL Simon Hoon from the navy who took on the Dir HR after he hung up his uniform. And also the previous DCE(SD) BG Sin Boon Wah who was our defense attaché to Washington before joining DSTA. So the DIR's pay would be ~COL's pay while the DCE's pay is ~BG pay. Perhaps slightly less because they no longer have the uniformed services allowances, vocation pay and what not.

Unregistered 15-04-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10817)
The other good choice would be to go into CSIT. They are into Infocomm research. Essentially, this is the technological arm of SID. Scholars such as yourself get the chance to join the Intelligence Officer (IO) Scheme upfront (Although i heard that recently, they are tightening the entry criteria for this scheme of service). This is a pension service and the renumeration is 2nd only to the Administrative Service - the only other remaining pension service, short of joining politics and the AO scheme is by invitation only. The pension scheme requires you to serve 8 years but then your bond already takes up 6 years. You serve well you get paid well. Comfortable living. What for take the risk of joining the financial industry where there is no guarantee of big bucks?

Is it true that PSC scholars also get the choice to join the IO scheme? Then PSC is quite a good option isn't it, provided you intend to root yourself in Singapore for the rest of your working life.

Unregistered 15-04-2011 03:58 PM

Grade in DSTA

Can I assume the grades salary range:

grade 6-->Engineer, fresh grad $3280(2nd lower) to $3880(1st class), as far as i know
grade 7-->Senior Engineer
grade 8-->
grade 9-->Principal engineer
grade 10-->
grade 11-->
grade 12-->Asst Director
grade 13-->Deputy Director
grade 14-->Director = COL rank approx
grade 15-->Deputy CE = BG rank approx
grade 16-->Chief Exe

can someone fill in the salary range for the rest?

How much increment % will it be when someone is promoted
from grade 6 to grade 7,
from grade 7 to grade 8 ??

Unregistered 15-04-2011 06:00 PM

Please guys, someone please tell him how his life will be from 25 yrs till retirement, with accurate details of work, salary, moeny, status. he has no confidence so please outline his life for him. make him feel that DSTA will be a great choice and he will never regret looking back at the past. please convince him.

Unregistered 15-04-2011 09:41 PM

It takes 5 years for a scholar to make middle management? Then what about normal 2nd upp grads? how long will it take to reach 6k region?

bongewj 16-04-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11328)
Please guys, someone please tell him how his life will be from 25 yrs till retirement, with accurate details of work, salary, moeny, status. he has no confidence so please outline his life for him. make him feel that DSTA will be a great choice and he will never regret looking back at the past. please convince him.

much needed and very constructive helpful advice.

Unregistered 16-04-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10928)
you said he was wrong in estimating DSTA CE making ~900k. what would be your estimate?

Grade 16 was in the region of 20+ per month.
That was the figure in 06 or 07.
In 08 or so, the scale was removed.

It will take an obscene amount of bonuses/ readjustment since those years for the CE to reach ~900k per annum.

Unregistered 16-04-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11334)
It takes 5 years for a scholar to make middle management? Then what about normal 2nd upp grads? how long will it take to reach 6k region?

Total annual compensation?
If so, 3 years.

Unregistered 16-04-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11350)
Total annual compensation?
If so, 3 years.

so a 26YO grad will receive 72k PA by 29/30 barring any screw-ups?

Nice...thanks for sharing !

Unregistered 16-04-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11352)
so a 26YO grad will receive 72k PA by 29/30 barring any screw-ups?

Nice...thanks for sharing !

u mean for scholar or for [normal people with 2nd lower/upper] will get 72k after 3 years exp in dsta??

Unregistered 17-04-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11353)
u mean for scholar or for [normal people with 2nd lower/upper] will get 72k after 3 years exp in dsta??

thats what i interpret from the poster right at the top. Scholars reach middle management maybe 80-100k? can anyone confirm?

Unregistered 13-05-2011 05:39 PM

scholar or not

I'm roughly in the same dilemma as the poster - I've an offer from a stat board (EMA) for an overseas scholarship to study maths and econs. But the thing is i'm not sure if i can transit to the pte sector after 6 years, and whether the experience will make me more marketable and is relevant. Say I decide to work in a bank after that 6 years, will i be able to utilize my skills and exp. in EMA analyzing energy trends etc to full use? And what will the remuneration be like in the pte sector after 6 years? Will my scholarship experience be of use? Im sorry if i offend anyone out there with my questions, but these are pragmatic concerns that have to be voiced out, if I were to consider my choices really carefully. After all its a 6 year bond.

Unregistered 14-05-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12177)
I'm roughly in the same dilemma as the poster - I've an offer from a stat board (EMA) for an overseas scholarship to study maths and econs. But the thing is i'm not sure if i can transit to the pte sector after 6 years, and whether the experience will make me more marketable and is relevant. Say I decide to work in a bank after that 6 years, will i be able to utilize my skills and exp. in EMA analyzing energy trends etc to full use? And what will the remuneration be like in the pte sector after 6 years? Will my scholarship experience be of use? Im sorry if i offend anyone out there with my questions, but these are pragmatic concerns that have to be voiced out, if I were to consider my choices really carefully. After all its a 6 year bond.

You will not get a good job in the private sector after 6 years. Ask your seniors.

Unregistered 16-05-2011 10:54 AM

just a few comments on scholar making to pte sector transition.

what worked in the past is unlikely to work today and even less likely to happen in the future.
when singapore was still booming in the past, talents were in demand and banks or MNCs are willing to pay top dollar to lure scholars into the private sector. It is also true that in the past as long as you get a degree, getting a job is not difficult. Today, having a degree is not enough, you need the right degree, skills, connections, knowledge to get the job you want. Furthermore, singaporeans are more affluent today, kids can go to Harvard, Stanford without government scholarship and these people go straight to private sector right out from college. Add to the liberal immigration policies, companies can hire chinese/indian bright students from the best colleges in the world. What's the attraction of a scholar today? besides having an ivy league degree. I would say that it will be increasing difficult for scholars today to make the leap to private sector as compared to the past. If you fast forward to six years down the road, do you think a scholar is attractive to the private sector? unless your job experience is directly relevant, if not, transitioning straight to private sector will be close to impossible. Employers today, have access to global talents today, no one will hire someone just because he has an ivy league degree, wasting 6 years doing something that is not relevant.

Unregistered 16-05-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12209)
just a few comments on scholar making to pte sector transition.

what worked in the past is unlikely to work today and even less likely to happen in the future.
when singapore was still booming in the past, talents were in demand and banks or MNCs are willing to pay top dollar to lure scholars into the private sector. It is also true that in the past as long as you get a degree, getting a job is not difficult. Today, having a degree is not enough, you need the right degree, skills, connections, knowledge to get the job you want. Furthermore, singaporeans are more affluent today, kids can go to Harvard, Stanford without government scholarship and these people go straight to private sector right out from college. Add to the liberal immigration policies, companies can hire chinese/indian bright students from the best colleges in the world. What's the attraction of a scholar today? besides having an ivy league degree. I would say that it will be increasing difficult for scholars today to make the leap to private sector as compared to the past. If you fast forward to six years down the road, do you think a scholar is attractive to the private sector? unless your job experience is directly relevant, if not, transitioning straight to private sector will be close to impossible. Employers today, have access to global talents today, no one will hire someone just because he has an ivy league degree, wasting 6 years doing something that is not relevant.

in another words, don't use people who have made the transition to private sector as reference points. these guys/gals made it based on different labour market conditions in the past. the labour market conditions will be very different 6 years down the road.

Unregistered 22-05-2011 01:15 PM

Hi,
I think there are several things I would consider if I were in your shoes.
Firstly, it is the presence of a HUGE amount of scholars in DSTA. Given that these people are much more enthusiastic about defence science than you are, and that most of them are headed to CMU and UIUC (around the same league as UMich), it doesn't give you a significant advantage to be a scholar. Having to fight with 50 overseas scholars each year in such a small organization rather than the entire civil service (for ~50 PSC scholars), the path of a DSTA scholar will definitely be infused with more cut-throat competition. With that in mind, you also have to consider if you can get the jobs you want in DSTA when you graduate. Limited positions in certain areas, compounded by the influx of scholars each year is bound to produce disappointment as many will not get their dream jobs even within DSTA.
Secondly, the alternatives you have in Singapore isn't that bad either. At SMU, they give out scholarships which cover your entire tuition fees, laptop allowances, pay for an overseas trip and give you an annual allowance of $5,000. At NTU, the Nanyang Scholarship gives similar benefits. However, I'm not too sure about NUS. With the choice of a free education in Singapore, and the freedom to pursue whatever you want upon graduation is something that you can also consider.
The points I've mentioned above are just food for thought. That said, I'll be going to UMich this fall for engineering as well. We can communicate if you have decided on going!

Unregistered 23-05-2011 01:00 AM

re: GIC

To the posters above who mentioned GIC (and MAS) as the best scholarship as it would make it easy to transition into finance:

It's true that the skills you acquire at GIC (dependent on your posting as well, as you could be doing an internal job such as strategic planning rather than real investing) are directly relevant to the investing world. It will certainly be easier to make the case to the Goldman Sachs and JP Morgans of the world to hire you. Except that GIC (and MAS and Temasek) is a HUGE client for them. I know several GIC scholars who have secured job offers from the big investment banks, but when they submitted their resignations, their bosses found out where they were going and called up the managing director at the bank and threatened to pull GIC's business unless the offer was rescinded. Now if you're the MD at the bank, would you risk losing a huge client just to hire some ex-scholar? From my friends' experience, the answer was no, and their offers were rescinded.

Unregistered 23-05-2011 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12464)
To the posters above who mentioned GIC (and MAS) as the best scholarship as it would make it easy to transition into finance:

It's true that the skills you acquire at GIC (dependent on your posting as well, as you could be doing an internal job such as strategic planning rather than real investing) are directly relevant to the investing world. It will certainly be easier to make the case to the Goldman Sachs and JP Morgans of the world to hire you. Except that GIC (and MAS and Temasek) is a HUGE client for them. I know several GIC scholars who have secured job offers from the big investment banks, but when they submitted their resignations, their bosses found out where they were going and called up the managing director at the bank and threatened to pull GIC's business unless the offer was rescinded. Now if you're the MD at the bank, would you risk losing a huge client just to hire some ex-scholar? From my friends' experience, the answer was no, and their offers were rescinded.

that's why you need to keep quiet about where you are going.

Unregistered 23-05-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongewj (Post 10790)
I will be studying Mechanical Engineering at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor under DSTA scholarship. bond is 6 years. does that help?

In addition, can i know how much value an overseas education adds when looking for a job. Assuming that i leave after the bond, does it really matter if, e.g. i get a masters from stanford or mit? will they look at work experience more or education?

thanks for the reply!

You're in trouble. DSTA is a phone caller's job. All you do is pick up the phone and procure equipment.

6 years is also a very long time. During those times, you will have your annual pay increases in small amounts. Not to mention that the scholarship is only worth SGD$30,000 per year. $120,000/6 = $20,000 paid back per year. Very slow repayment terms.

In 2010, there was a "graduate harvest" of 1st class and 2nd upper honours from NUS to DSTA. Pay ranged around $3600. So competition is going to be stiff. Their contracts last for 2 years.

bongewj 23-05-2011 09:34 AM

alot of things that have been said boils down to what one feels is a good job. and i think that varies quite alot from person to person. one might think that a good job is one that pays sky high wages, and someone else might think that a good job is one that offers a decent pay with a unique experience. it also depends on how much one is aiming to earn, how much will he or she be comfortable with. I guess when i started this thread, i was a little too caught up with all the talk of money and stuff. don't think dsta pays very well, but it'll probably be decent. and it's might be a phone caller's job, but you do get to learn about pretty interesting things. i'm quite fed up with singapore's teaching style. they might say they're changing, but i think, and quite a few of my friends do as well, that they're too focused on rote learning and scoring that grade. makes it less of a learning experience. so i've decided to go to umich after all.

Unregistered 23-05-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12465)
that's why you need to keep quiet about where you are going.

for one guy, he actually refused to disclose where he was going to anyone. but his boss asked all the banks he had relationships with if they were hiring him, and one of them admitted to it.

Unregistered 23-05-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12495)
for one guy, he actually refused to disclose where he was going to anyone. but his boss asked all the banks he had relationships with if they were hiring him, and one of them admitted to it.

such high handedness and pettiness. tsk tsk tsk. must have learned from some great leaders.

Unregistered 23-05-2011 02:56 PM

arrests ingsusi

I'll add my 5c worth. Its not worth it to go to UMich for a 6 yr-bond with DSTA. If you want a U.S. education, take a gap year, work on your ECAs, work experience etc and try to get into a better school like Ivy or at least something within the top 20.

Former scholar 24-05-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongewj (Post 12479)
alot of things that have been said boils down to what one feels is a good job. and i think that varies quite alot from person to person. one might think that a good job is one that pays sky high wages, and someone else might think that a good job is one that offers a decent pay with a unique experience. it also depends on how much one is aiming to earn, how much will he or she be comfortable with. I guess when i started this thread, i was a little too caught up with all the talk of money and stuff. don't think dsta pays very well, but it'll probably be decent. and it's might be a phone caller's job, but you do get to learn about pretty interesting things. i'm quite fed up with singapore's teaching style. they might say they're changing, but i think, and quite a few of my friends do as well, that they're too focused on rote learning and scoring that grade. makes it less of a learning experience. so i've decided to go to umich after all.

Bongewj,

I'm a former scholar. Not DSTA, but I know a number of DSTA scholars.They're generally not too happy with the pay, career progression, nature of work or job prospects after DSTA. Overall, I would not recommend it. It's decent, but not really right if you're ambitious and want to do a lot with your life.

I know it's hard to turn down the opportunity to study overseas, but think long-term: four years of university abroad vs the trajectory of your career (20-30 years of your life) after university. I think the latter is more important.

If you really want to study abroad, some options to consider:

Look into financial aid, grants from universities abroad. Quite a number of US universities are willing to give financial aid to foreigners.

Study locally but do exchange programs to get overseas exposure. Many of our local universities now offer semesters abroad or even joint degree programs.

Do your undergrad locally but your masters/phd degree abroad. Foreign universities are usually more willing to provide sponsorship for post-graduate study

laguna 25-05-2011 10:24 AM

My 2 cents thoughts, why I never want my children to take up scholarship
1. no freedom in career and subject of study
2. may not be competitive
3. different mind set
4. market value

A lot of scholars in US are rather depressed,
1. they are brighter compare to many others, and yet, no freedom
2. they are paid very very much lesser compare to many

One thing I believe, Sg govt never lose out in doing business, including giving up scholarship

Unregistered 26-05-2011 11:33 PM

thats because all of you can't qualify for scholarships!
if umich is changed to mit, and scholarship is the only way for u to study in mit, does that change the game anyhow?

Unregistered 30-06-2011 05:09 PM

meaning of scholarship

i may be anal to most pple who read this, but isnt a scholarship meant for pple who cannot afford the uni fees? if you can afford the fees why be bonded? if you dun want to serve in the civil sector why take the scholarship? There are so many other pple in need of the sponsorship!! I seen so many scholars who are rich and because they are from ivy league schools, they expect to be treated special when they start out. Then they break the bond coz they can afford so. If you want to join the private sector in the first place, why not look for a sponsorship from the private sector? Makes no sense that you are making use of taxpayer's money and then decide to venture into private. If you have no wish to serve the public, then DUN JOIN !! No job in the world is easy, you think its easy being a banker?? my friend works in Bloomberg and earns 15K/mnth at the age of 27. The hours you put in and the constant worry about the market and all the stress, can you take it? His annual payout in 2010 is $230K including bonus, and comparing i earn 50k last year, it was like wow!! but he has high blood pressure, digestion problem and many more that i shall not elaborate due to the work. Are you ready for that? All jobs have pros and cons. It depends what do you value most. work life balance? or loads of money in the bank? both sounds good but both has pros and cons. consider these before signing your life away. if you do decide to sign, be happy about it.

Unregistered 14-07-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13770)
i may be anal to most pple who read this, but isnt a scholarship meant for pple who cannot afford the uni fees? if you can afford the fees why be bonded? if you dun want to serve in the civil sector why take the scholarship? There are so many other pple in need of the sponsorship!! I seen so many scholars who are rich and because they are from ivy league schools, they expect to be treated special when they start out. Then they break the bond coz they can afford so. If you want to join the private sector in the first place, why not look for a sponsorship from the private sector? Makes no sense that you are making use of taxpayer's money and then decide to venture into private. If you have no wish to serve the public, then DUN JOIN !! No job in the world is easy, you think its easy being a banker?? my friend works in Bloomberg and earns 15K/mnth at the age of 27. The hours you put in and the constant worry about the market and all the stress, can you take it? His annual payout in 2010 is $230K including bonus, and comparing i earn 50k last year, it was like wow!! but he has high blood pressure, digestion problem and many more that i shall not elaborate due to the work. Are you ready for that? All jobs have pros and cons. It depends what do you value most. work life balance? or loads of money in the bank? both sounds good but both has pros and cons. consider these before signing your life away. if you do decide to sign, be happy about it.

Agree. I know my close friend is earning over S$200K as an executive search/HeadHunter. Mid 30s with 3rd class or no honors from NUS/NTU. His health is his main worry now.

Thus, there are trade-offs.

Unregistered 03-03-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11050)
Well, if I am not wrong, grade 8 is split into 2 tiers. Most people get stuck here for quite a while before getting grade 9 which comes with the title of principal engineer. I do not know the salary range. The highest grade is 16 which is for the CE. Below that, there is DCE, Dir, DD, AD and the other appointments like Program Managers, Head Capability Development etc. I do not know if there's a 1 to 1 mapping for the grade numbers to the appointment, maybe some appointment spans more than 1 grade?

Perhaps those who know SAF officer's salary ranges can provide a clearer picture. Old birds would recall a COL Simon Hoon from the navy who took on the Dir HR after he hung up his uniform. And also the previous DCE(SD) BG Sin Boon Wah who was our defense attaché to Washington before joining DSTA. So the DIR's pay would be ~COL's pay while the DCE's pay is ~BG pay. Perhaps slightly less because they no longer have the uniformed services allowances, vocation pay and what not.

dsta grade 8, what is the salary range ?

Unregistered 15-06-2013 11:46 PM

upzzzzzzzzz

Unregistered 03-07-2013 09:43 AM

just know with experience in MNC , you will be headhunted by DSTA anyway, and you probably leap over them in no time. Probably you be better off seeking sponsorship outside

Unregistered 06-07-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33775)
dsta grade 8, what is the salary range ?

I don't know the answer. But based on my research and observation.

Grade 8 = senior engineer. Should be $70-90K p.a
Grade 9 = project manager. Should be $90-120k p.a

Again, it's based on my intelligent guessing since no one's willing to share.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39573)

Maybe 10% lower. My guess.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 06:02 PM

With bonus.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39573)

Unregistered 04-09-2013 07:37 PM

Can i apply for overseas universities then get sponsorships?

How do sponsorships form MNCs work?

Unregistered 06-05-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12177)

Any advice regarding this issue ?

Unregistered 06-05-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 12186)
You will not get a good job in the private sector after 6 years. Ask your seniors.

Is it still the same now ?