Thinking of doing an IT diploma/degree? Read this first. - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Thinking of doing an IT diploma/degree? Read this first.

Old 16-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

Can i ask if this applies to Information Systems (SMU/NUS)?

From my understanding, IS seems to be in their own world compared to CE/CS. How do Singaporeans fare in jobs catered for IS?

Employment surveys noted a high average salary for IS fresh graduates (3.4k for NUS). Have heard of stories that many IS graduates end up doing two-year contract jobs for the rest of their life. Again, I can't confirm, and wish that someone in that field can answer my queries.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can i ask if this applies to Information Systems (SMU/NUS)?

From my understanding, IS seems to be in their own world compared to CE/CS. How do Singaporeans fare in jobs catered for IS?

Employment surveys noted a high average salary for IS fresh graduates (3.4k for NUS). Have heard of stories that many IS graduates end up doing two-year contract jobs for the rest of their life. Again, I can't confirm, and wish that someone in that field can answer my queries.
from my personal exp and looking at my friends, i say the IS buzz is dying (dead very soon) and the demand is much much lower than the 100% employment few years back. firstly, IS curriculum hardly prepares you for the working hard if you just go thru motion.

for most IT entry roles, they demand good technical knowledge which most (or rather average) IS students lack of. IS students, it seems to me, are trained for mid-level IT roles (IT manager, proj mgt, IT consultant, etc), which is pretty dumb as these roles require you to have years of IT exp. except for IT consultants, which only a handful of top students can have a go at it. for those who can and dont mind doing coding, they can easily find a job as software developer, but how long they will last nobody knows. for the rest, majority will work as system analyst/IT executive. these are in fact general entry-level titles, it's just all the saikang passed down from the seniors. it's really luck as some companies u will learn a lot of stuff, while at others, you just do mundane work everyday.

in short, avoid IS if you've not taken a step into it. the job market is too saturated now. the demand u read in the news years ago is gone. the glamorous fat cheque IT jobs are already filled years ago by the pioneer students. IS degree is becoming as useful as life science degree..

Old 24-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

Why a career in computer programming sucks
Finally, the highly anticipated essay on why computer programming sucks.

Temporary nature of knowledge capital

Let’s being by reviewing what I previously wrote about the four types of human capital. Computer programming is a job that’s heavily dependent on temporary knowledge capital. It’s temporary because the powers that be keep changing the languages and tools that programmers need to do their jobs. In nearly all other professions, knowledge capital increases as you grow older because you keep learning more about your field. But in computer programming, the old knowledge becomes completely obsolete and useless. No one cares if you know how to program in COBOL for example. It’s completely useless knowledge.

Even though I haven’t been working in computer programming all that long, I have already seen most of the technologies that I first began working with become relegated to the garbage pile. Visual Basic 3.0-6.0? Useless knowledge. I haven’t seen any vintage Visual Basic since 2002. And don’t confuse Visual Basic.NET with the classic Visual Basic. They are really completely different technologies.

So what advantage does a 60-year-old .NET programmer have over a 27-year-old .NET programmer when they both have, at most, 5 years of experience doing .NET programming? Absolutely none. I’d make the case that it’s better to hire the 27-year-old because he is still at the stage of his career where he enjoys the stuff and is therefore more motivated to learn and work harder, while the 60-year-old is surely bitter about the fact that he’s getting paid less than the younger programmers. No one wants a bitter employee.

This assumes that the 60-year-old programmer has even learned .NET programming. Every time a new language or technology comes out, the programmer faces a fork. In one direction he gets to work with the new technology, and in the other direction he continues working with the old technology for too long and therefore falls too far behind to catch up. The older you get, the easier it is to wind up going the wrong way when you reach one of these forks. Because as hard as it may be for a 22-year-old to imagine, as you get older your desire to completely relearn everything decreases, so you are likely to succumb to the temptation of staying with the familiar technology for too long.

Because of the temporary nature of the knowledge capital, computer programmers quickly reach a stage in their career when their old knowledge capital becomes worthless at the same rate as they acquire knew knowledge capital. Their total knowledge capital is no longer increasing, so neither does their salary increase. They have reached the dead end plateau of their career, and it happens after less than ten years in the field.

Other professional fields are not like this. I remember reading the classic 1933 edition of Securities Analysis by Benjamin Graham, and as I read it I was amazed by how useful and relevant the material was even though it was more than 65 years old.

Lawyers are still citing Blackstone’s Commentaries on the Laws of England which was completed in 1769. Now there’s an example of a profession where knowledge capital deteriorates at a very slow rate.

Low prestige

Computer programming is a low prestige profession. This is evidenced by the fact that people from affluent families rarely go into computer programming but instead will seek out the more prestigious professions such as law, finance, and medicine. Of course there are some exceptions. There was a programmer who worked for me whose father was a doctor. But more typical was another programmer who never finished college and whose favorite hobby was hunting.

And that brings us to the issue of education. Students at Ivy League universities are not majoring in computer programming. There is a prestigious school, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, devoted to science and engineering, and while I’m sure that there are some students there who are majoring in “computer science,” the science that’s taught isn’t related to the dirty low-prestige job of creating e-commerce websites using ASP.NET. On the other hand, practical computer programming is a popular major at bogus for-profit schools like Devry “University” and the “University” of Phoenix.

Now some may ask, “Who cares if the prestige is low, as long as we’re getting paid good money?” This is a fair question. First of all, there are some practical social benefits to having others perceive your profession as being prestigious. As a Chinese immigrant at the University of Virginia wrote, “whatever your position is, as a CS person, you are socially classified as a geek. At my school, University of Virginia, being a rich frat boy and having a future in investment banking or law gets you a lot further status-wise even though you may not necessarily be paid more.”

But the prestige of the profession affects both the work environment and the future economic viability of the profession, as will be discussed below.

The foreignization of computer programming

I’m sorry about using a word that doesn’t exist in the dictionary, but foreignization best explains what’s happening in the computer programming industry.

First of all, there is the familiar outsourcing of jobs to foreign countries, mostly India. Because of this, the computer programming industry within the United States is an industry with a shrinking number of jobs, although as a worldwide phenomenon I’m sure computer programming will grow at a brisk rate. Would outsourcing of computer programming and other IT jobs be such a big trend if the industry were more prestigious? I think not. You don’t see lawyers being outsourced. In fact, by law, only members of the bar are allowed to practice law, so it would be illegal for foreigners to do American legal work.

The other half of foreignization is the near abandonment of the domestic IT market to foreigners. This is a trend that is accelerated by the issuance of special H1-B visas that allow extra computer programmers to come here and take jobs away from American programmers. Computer programming (along with nursing) has been specially targeted by our government for foreignization.

Foreignization creates a vicious circle effect with the low prestige of the profession. Because the profession has low prestige, employers balk at the idea of having to pay high salaries (while it seems perfectly appropriate if a lawyer or investment banker is making a lot of money). Thus the demand for more H1-B visas so that salaries can be decreased. In turn, Americans see an industry full of brown people speaking barely intelligible English, and this further lowers the industry’s prestige. Computer programming and IT in general is now seen as the foreigner’s industry and not a proper profession for upwardly mobile white Americans. [The Indian and Asian people I've known in the IT industry are nice people, and normally I don't pay attention to their different appearance, so this should not be taken as a racist dislike of non-white people. I am only accurately describing the fact that the typical white American thinks negatively of a profession that's predominately non-white. And I stand by my belief that people born in this country have more rights to the money being created here than foreigners. Asian countries feel the same way about foreigners. Asian countries are, typically, a lot less open to foreign worker immigrants than is the U.S.]

Because there is no reason to think that the trend of foreignization will reverse, this will ensure that the future of the industry will be lower salaries.

Old 24-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

Project management sucks too

In order to escape a job where the future is bleak for older programmers due to the rapid depreciation of computer programming knowledge capital, computer programmers face the need to move up to management or likely wind up as underemployed fifty-year-olds, only suitable for lower paying IT jobs like “QA” because they no longer know how to use the latest and supposedly greatest programming tools.

It is often suggested that the most natural next move “up” is into project management. But the first problem with this situation is that project management sucks too. It doesn’t even deserve to have the word “management” in the title, because project management is akin to management as Naugahyde leather is to leather. Project planner and status reporter is the more correct title for this job. Once you take the word “manager” out of title, it loses a lot of its luster, doesn’t it? Everyone wants to be a manager, but few would want to be a project planner and I daresay no one would want to be a status reporter. Status reporting is generally the most hated activity of anyone who endeavors to do real work.

One can’t write about project management without mentioning the worst piece of software every written, Microsoft Project. Somehow, an entire project management industry has developed around this crappy program which no one can figure out how to use. (See my previous post about Microsoft Project Server and Battlestar Galactica.)

Formal project management is more of a pseudo-science than a real profession, because despite the increasing use of formal project management methods approved by the Project Management Institute (yes they have their own institute), there is no evidence that software is getting better or that fewer software projects fail today than did ten years ago when formal project management was in its infancy.

The growing popularity of project management has nothing to do with better software. It’s really more designed to please senior management (the real managers who control the purse strings). Real managers, who usually don’t understand anything about computer programming but who don’t like the idea that they have to pay high salaries to a bunch of people from foreign countries, love the reports presented by project managers, because the reports create the illusion that progress is happening and that the money being spent on the IT project is not being wasted.

Even if the computer programmer wishes to sell his soul and enter the pseudo-scientific field of project planning and status reporting, the transition is becoming more difficult. The trend is that project management is branching off into its own discipline with its own educational requirements and certification process. Thus the experienced computer programmer will usually find that employers aren’t interested in having an ex-computer programmer “manage” a project, but rather they seek someone with PMI certification and years of experience in project management.

This trend, in which people without computer programming experience manage computer programming projects, is a result of the low prestige of computer programming. People with high prestige jobs, like surgeons, would never allow themselves to be managed by non-surgeons. In a complicated medical procedure there will be a head surgeon overseeing the surgery, and not a project manager without any medical training. Lawyers have Model Rule 5.4 which makes it unethical for non-lawyers to manage lawyers.

Obviously, the problem with the computer programming industry is that it lacks a central organization to create barriers to entry and to lobby state and local legislatures.

The working conditions suck

This relates to the prestige thing again. When a company I worked for wanted to save money on rent, guess what department they decided to move to the low rent satellite office? You guessed it, the IT department.

If you look forward to one day having your own private office, then computer programming sure isn’t the way to go. At a law firm, each lawyer has his own private office. Computer programmers are cubicle employees, not considered important enough to be given nice workspaces.

Employers are even too cheap to invest in proper tools for the computer programmers. Take monitors, for example. Every computer programmer knows that modern development tools are easiest to use if you have a really big monitor, because you can see more lines of code at the same time, and because there are a bunch of ancillary windows which steal screen space from the main code window. My home monitor is a 21” 1600 x 1200 Samsung SyncMaster 214T, and it sure was worth the $900 or so that I paid for it. An employer interested in getting the most productivity out of its software developers would supply them with proper high quality monitors, but they don’t. In every job I ever worked, the computer programmers never had the best monitors.

If you walk over to the graphic arts department, you will see really big monitors. The graphics people could surely make do with smaller monitors, but even though they make less money than computer programmers, they have been able to convince higher level management that their work requires better hardware. When computer programmers request better hardware, they are often seen as whining geeks who just want to waste the company’s money on unnecessary high-tech toys.

Other professionals get proper tools to do their job. For example, lawyers are given access to Westlaw or Lexis, and a library of books. The amount of money per year per lawyer spent on research materials most surely exceeds the money per computer programmer per year spent on computer hardware. If lawyers were treated with the same disrespect as computer programmers, they would be told to stop whining about the lack of research materials and to go use the public law library.

So what's a good profession?

After spending so much effort explaning why computer programming sucks, I think it's only fair to suggest some better professions for any young people who might be reading this. Unfortunately, that's hard to do. The best professions, because they are so good to work in, have more people trying to enter than there is room for them. Thus you can graduate with a law degree and find that no one wants to admit you to any of the good legal career tracks.

I think that, if you can't get into a Top 14 law school or a top graduate business schol, then public accounting probably provides a better career path than computer programming. You need to start out as an auditor at a Big Four accounting firm, and the salary in the early part of your career won't be as high as in computer programming, but at least older accountants are valued for their experience and knowledge. It's a career where you can still be employed at forty or fifty.

If you are technically oriented, then you should consider a career in patent law. This requires you to get an engineering degree and then go to law school. Because such a tiny percentage of law school graduates are qualified to take the patent bar, you will be able to get jobs in intellectual property law which the other law school graduates are unqualified for.
Old 13-11-2019, 03:50 PM
xue123

Default The Most Effective Vape Juice Wholesale Distributors in the UNITED STATES

With many individuals opting to vape, there are many vaping industries. They have a collection of various vape juices marketed in wholesale. This way, you can delight in vaping the yummy flavors. The companies are online hence you have to spend for some delivery costs. They provide in good time without any hold-ups experienced. Some are shipped the day you make the order. For other companies, you have to wait till the next day.s://.worldvaping.com/best-dab-pens/

The vaping business is competitive thus the suppliers strive to thrill their clients. Their solutions ought to be excellent to bring in clients as well as maintain them. The e-liquids should be of premium quality as well as authentic. Without the two attributes, they can not offer. The following are the vape juice wholesale representatives that you can rely on with their items.

What wholesale methods

Wholesale is when you get items in large quantities at a lower rate. The price is budget-friendly because you are acquiring more than one product. You get to conserve loan while you have products that will certainly last you for a while. It is the best deal for e-liquids due to the several types that you can obtain wholesale.

Aspects that need to be taken into consideration when searching for vape juice wholesale representatives
s://.worldvaping.com/best-thc-vape-juice-all-you-need-to-know/

In the United States there are several e-liquid wholesale representatives. You might obtain puzzled regarding which is the ideal one. To obtain the most effective deal, you can watch out for the adhering to facets.

- Minimum orders

At the back of your mind, you need the item in quantities. Hence, you ought to ask the minimal number to order. You can for that reason obtain worth for cash. Buying them in plenty will certainly mean that you get to pay much less.

- Flexible Prices

The cost each should be versatile. It should reflect on the number of products that you are purchasing. The cost for less products ought to be various. You shouldn't buy at the exact same expense as those wholesale. For example, if you plan to buy 200 vape juices the device cost can be $1. Yet if you purchase 400 items, the price per unit need to be $0.50 to match the cash worth.

- Delivering Cost

Various firms will certainly bill a cost for the items to get to you. This depends mostly on the location. The costs will, as a result, vary with the company. Fortunately is that there are business that offer totally free delivery when you acquire items worth a good quantity.

Five Superb firms to obtain wholesale vape juice

Vape juice distributors ought to offer you only the most effective. This ranges from valuing to the orders that you require. The companies below will absolutely provide you adequate services.

1. Straight Vapor

The firm has a great deal to provide. Here you can anticipate performance as well as ease. When you require minimum orders you can get them at a sensible cost. You can get as numerous products as you require. Shipping fee is average, and also you won't be charged unfairly. There is also a totally free residential shipping with the business. Brand names right here are a large choice to select from treat flavors, chocolate or coffee.

The distribution period is from 1 to 5 days depending on your location. This consists of a 15-day return policy if you didn't like the vape juice. 60 days warranty is supplied in instance of any type of defection or replacement require develops. The distinct component about Straight Vapor is their consumer assistance solutions. They likewise reward their consumers for getting more than once.
s://.worldvaping.com/best-vape-pens/

2. Wholesale Vapor

This is the second best vape juice wholesale supplier in the US. All the vape stores can rely on the business for their products. They have matchless brand names that just match their clients. They likewise use reduced wholesale costs for vape juices. Free shipping is ensured to clients that get items from $450 price. Delivery ranges from 2 to 5 days.

3. Vapor Monster

The solutions at Vapor Beast are phenomenal. When you buy vape juices completing to $1,000 you secure free delivery. Within one to 5 days, it will be provided at your front door. You first require to use as a wholesale consumer so regarding strike a business deal. Then you can get to sample the scrumptious e-liquids they provide. You can additionally choose the pure nicotine toughness with a scale of 0 mg to 55 mg. The dimensions will certainly likewise depend on what you require. They are from 1.5 ml to 125 ml.

4. MigVapor

It is prominent to vapers throughout the globe. The vape juices are of great tastes. They additionally come in lots of range to pick from. You obtain blended vape juices from the 89 tastes. Shipping is done from 1 to 5 days of getting the item. The shipping prices are common. If you are not pleased with the vape juice, there is thirty days money back warranty.

5. Vivo Wholesale

The company has a large range of vape juice items. They are distinct kinds of juices. With Vivo Wholesale, you can place bulk orders and likewise the single orders. They deal with both large firms and also people. By opening a Vivo account, you will be ready to start putting orders. The vape juice is meticulously secured and delivered to you the 2nd day. This will take 2 to five days to receive the things.

Final thought

Vape Juice dealers have various plans. Some have minimum orders while others lack them. As a consumer, you now understand which one will certainly suit you. If you need the vape juice to market on a large scale several of them will partner will you. For those who desire the e-liquid for individual use, you can identify the best one for you. After bearing in mind the shipping problems, you recognize where to order from. With some purchase, you obtain absolutely totally free delivery.
s://.worldvaping.com/best-vape-tanks/

Buying from other nations equates to high tax obligations as well as too much shipping expenses. This can be frustrating due to the costs that you will sustain.

The five representatives have pocket-friendly prices thus; you don't need to spend a lot. You reach delight in the different charming flavors with an excellent budget. Shipment time is additionally reputable which takes at many five days.