Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Need some advice on what to study (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/1267-need-some-advice-what-study.html)

361Degree 20-03-2011 05:41 PM

Need some advice on what to study

Hi,

Right now I'm stucked with choosing between 2 courses , and that is Computer Engineering from SP , and music performance in NAFA.
I'm concerned about the prospects of both courses , how it can give a stable income in the future.

Is there still a demand for computer engineers? I heard that it's a very competitive thing , many FTs apply for it and so on, and people end up doing other jobs that's not related to what they studied. What's the job role of a usual computer engineer? I want to know that too.

And I know that the prospect of music is very wide , most of the time people who study it end up teaching. Is there still a demand for music teachers nowadays?

Salary wise.. I'm not sure about that too but , I believe a computer engineer should earn more right?

Unregistered 20-03-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 361Degree (Post 10337)
Hi,

Right now I'm stucked with choosing between 2 courses , and that is Computer Engineering from SP , and music performance in NAFA.
I'm concerned about the prospects of both courses , how it can give a stable income in the future.

Is there still a demand for computer engineers? I heard that it's a very competitive thing , many FTs apply for it and so on, and people end up doing other jobs that's not related to what they studied. What's the job role of a usual computer engineer? I want to know that too.

And I know that the prospect of music is very wide , most of the time people who study it end up teaching. Is there still a demand for music teachers nowadays?

Salary wise.. I'm not sure about that too but , I believe a computer engineer should earn more right?

Assuming you are capable of doing equally well in either, I would advise against going for music. Reason is simple- if you want to teach music, you don't need to learn it full-time! With an ABRSM diploma or even grade 8 cert, you can start teaching either with music schools or as a private teacher. But if you aim to be a concert performer, then I'm afraid NAFA isn't good enough.

So, by elimination, you are left with computer engineering. It's not as bad as it seems to be.

361Degree 20-03-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10338)
Assuming you are capable of doing equally well in either, I would advise against going for music. Reason is simple- if you want to teach music, you don't need to learn it full-time! With an ABRSM diploma or even grade 8 cert, you can start teaching either with music schools or as a private teacher. But if you aim to be a concert performer, then I'm afraid NAFA isn't good enough.

So, by elimination, you are left with computer engineering. It's not as bad as it seems to be.

But will a NAFA Diploma command a higher salary?

Unregistered 21-03-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 361Degree (Post 10339)
But will a NAFA Diploma command a higher salary?

Compared to a computer engineering diploma, a NAFA will give you a lower salary.

Compared to ABRSM, it should be the same. What matters in teaching music is ability and passion. The music school should be able to tell easily.

Just what I think. Your mileage may vary.

361Degree 21-03-2011 02:32 PM

That being said , should I study music , if that is my main interest?

Unregistered 21-03-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 361Degree (Post 10345)
That being said , should I study music , if that is my main interest?

Do you already have ABRSM certs? If not, take the ABRSM exams part-time, and hedge with a computer engineering diploma.

361Degree 21-03-2011 05:12 PM

I already have my ABRSM Grade 8 Cert.
But if all piano teachers salary are based on their abilites , doesn't that mean that even if I get a degree/BA in music , my salary will still be that of a grade 8 cert?
But I'm sure private teaching will be a better route right?

Unregistered 21-03-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 361Degree (Post 10349)
I already have my ABRSM Grade 8 Cert.
But if all piano teachers salary are based on their abilites , doesn't that mean that even if I get a degree/BA in music , my salary will still be that of a grade 8 cert?
But I'm sure private teaching will be a better route right?

You can already try private teaching now. Get your own students (advertise). Establish a small reputation and you'll be earning more than an engineer.

361Degree 21-03-2011 11:29 PM

I see , so I guess now it boils down to my interests? Since private teaching might be able to bring in a good income .

Unregistered 22-03-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 361Degree (Post 10337)
I heard that it's a very competitive thing , many FTs apply for it and so on

STRAITS TIMES: Yes, there are job enclaves

I CONCUR with Ms Laurelle Ho ("Employment enclaves"; last Tuesday) about ethnic enclaves of foreign nationals in multinational companies in Singapore.

About three years ago, my nephew, who had been working in an IT department in Citibank for a number of years, had his service terminated, together with all his Singaporean colleagues, due to restructuring.

But all his Indian national colleagues were retained. Incidentally, the senior officers in the department were Indian nationals.

The Government should consider introducing a quota for foreign nationals in companies based in Singapore.

Rohim Kalil

Yes, there are job enclaves