Aiming to get into an MBA program - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

Aiming to get into an MBA program

Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 AM

SGWorker is on a distinguished road
Default Aiming to get into an MBA program

Hi fellow forumers, have anyone here studied in or graduated from an MBA program from these top schools - Top MBAs in Singapore - I am wondering what it would take to get into one of these programs - GMAT score, interview questions, work experience, etc. Please share your advice with me, thank you.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

Default MBA journey

As the article in the link mentioned, don't bother with any MBA that doesn't require GMAT and interview. Those are just bogus degree mills. I include PSB academy in this doubtfut list.

For entry to better B-schools in Singapore, be sure to stand out and sell yourself well. Remember that these schools are also graded on social diversity. If your profile is very common, then you'll need exceptional GMAT score.

e.g., Indian national, IT degree, IT working experience (regardless how long). This profile is a dime and dozen. Then be prepared with GMAT scores in the high 700s.

Alternatively if you're Singaporean, have decent intelligence (i.e., know the difference between MBA and MBS), can converse interestingly, then you can still pull through with lower GMAT (perhaps in the 600s or even high 500s).

BUT.... you still must have key differentiator. e.g., you write well, you run an interesting business, you are a community leader, you are a defender of human rights, etc. all these help. A glowing referee letter will also be very useful.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

An MBA is only necessary if you want to continue as a salaryman. The best MBA you can do is in the world of business -- go start a business and challenge yourself to make $1m in 3 years.

Otherwise, spend money and get a paper degree and continue as a worker working for someone.

Did I say MBA is overrated? Only the top ones like Insead expose you to good opportunities, and even so many graduates can't get into their dream jobs (trading, iB, mgmt consulting). After spending more than 100k, they still have to lucky to move up. It would be easier to try to be lucky doing something else -- and I highly recommend starting businesses.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
An MBA is only necessary if you want to continue as a salaryman. The best MBA you can do is in the world of business -- go start a business and challenge yourself to make $1m in 3 years.

Otherwise, spend money and get a paper degree and continue as a worker working for someone.

Did I say MBA is overrated? Only the top ones like Insead expose you to good opportunities, and even so many graduates can't get into their dream jobs (trading, iB, mgmt consulting). After spending more than 100k, they still have to lucky to move up. It would be easier to try to be lucky doing something else -- and I highly recommend starting businesses.
I agree that luck plays a big part rather than the MBA itself. I graduated from a local program a few years ago and have the luck to move to a role within my company that pays me 40% more.

My classmates do not have the opportunities. Especially for those looking at IB, mgmt consulting and other high paying jobs, it is almost impossible with a local MBA.

So luck is a big part than the paper qualification itself.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

Insead is over-rated, they are the most well-known only becuase a lot of senior executives study there. If you are interested in climbing the corporate ladder as a salaryman, then it would be the best place to get your MBA.

Chicago Business School is the one that you will really see the high society of Business / Investment world - very small campus in Orchard, but essentially it's a gathering place for the elite. It's a little like a club house for successful entrepruners, generation rich and top finance players.

As for the rest like NUS/NTU, I wouldn't bother no matter how cheap their courses are.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Unregistered

My colleague (formerly from India) took a NUS MBA and he is now IB.

His batch of NUS MBAs have also landed some high profile banking jobs. I understand one is on the derivatives sales desk at C***

So don't be too quick to write off local MBAs.

Just like in the past, most of the IB hires are IVY leagues. These days, most are local grads.

In the IB team now at my bank (foreign house), there are 5 local grads and 4 ivy leagues. Times are changing.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My colleague (formerly from India) took a NUS MBA and he is now IB.

His batch of NUS MBAs have also landed some high profile banking jobs. I understand one is on the derivatives sales desk at C***

So don't be too quick to write off local MBAs.

Just like in the past, most of the IB hires are IVY leagues. These days, most are local grads.

In the IB team now at my bank (foreign house), there are 5 local grads and 4 ivy leagues. Times are changing.
Really. Wow. Quickerly sign me up!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Unregistered

Learn2spells first

Quote:
Really. Wow. Quickerly sign me up!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM

SGWorker is on a distinguished road

Hi, firstly, a sincere thank you to all the people that have taken the time to provide their feedbacks and insights to my queries.

With regards to job placement and opportunities post graduation, do you guys actively inquire about the schools' career services before deciding to join their program?

There's a related discussion in another forum, a member proposes that making sure that the b-school helps their graduates find employment should be an important factor prospective students should take into account, before considering enrollment - Imp advice for MBA aspirants @ 2nd tier European B schools
Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM
inays

Default MBA Programs!

Thanks for the meaningful details regarding MBA programs of correspondence MBA or executive programs! I was also searching for the same and came to know about full time global MBA.

Thunderbird School of Global Management