I am interested in the medical area - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




I am interested in the medical area

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Blueberry is on a distinguished road
Default I am interested in the medical area

Hi, I have an Engineering diploma some donkey years ago from local Poly but after graduated from Poly, went to work in the legal industry as an ordinary 9-5 hr office staff. Recently, after seeing so many relatives down with old-age illness, I became interested about health and toying with the idea of becoming a medical doctor. I am in my 40s and have no degree whatsoever. I literally have forgotten what I studied in Physics and Chemistry and have never studied Biology before. I have no interests in Banking, Accounting, Business or Engineering degrees so doing those subjects part-time just to get a degree is out of the qn for me. Anyway I can get started studying medicine ? Feel free to criticize me so that I know whether I am just day-dreaming for the impossible or not. Or I should just get real and get a business degree instead.



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Have you tried?

How much money do you have?

Local U medicine courses are very elitist and they have a very narrow set of profiles that they prefer. Their most unconventional candidate topped his cohort and did a related poly course. (https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...o-nus-medicine)

It's probably impossible for you but no local media will tell you that because every school is a good school.

Going overseas is a common option:
- Australia
- UK
- Ireland

An MBBS takes about 5 years. Can you afford the school fees and living expenses?

There are other jobs in healthcare that doesn't involve being a doctor.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Blueberry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have you tried?

How much money do you have?

Local U medicine courses are very elitist and they have a very narrow set of profiles that they prefer. Their most unconventional candidate topped his cohort and did a related poly course. (https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...o-nus-medicine)

It's probably impossible for you but no local media will tell you that because every school is a good school.

Going overseas is a common option:
- Australia
- UK
- Ireland

An MBBS takes about 5 years. Can you afford the school fees and living expenses?

There are other jobs in healthcare that doesn't involve being a doctor.

Haha, thanks ! As mentioned, I am toying with the idea. Given that I have a family to support as well so may just be a day dream not fulfilled. But that is an inspiring read nonetheless.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Hi, I have an Engineering diploma some donkey years ago from local Poly but after graduated from Poly, went to work in the legal industry as an ordinary 9-5 hr office staff. Recently, after seeing so many relatives down with old-age illness, I became interested about health and toying with the idea of becoming a medical doctor. I am in my 40s and have no degree whatsoever. I literally have forgotten what I studied in Physics and Chemistry and have never studied Biology before. I have no interests in Banking, Accounting, Business or Engineering degrees so doing those subjects part-time just to get a degree is out of the qn for me. Anyway I can get started studying medicine ? Feel free to criticize me so that I know whether I am just day-dreaming for the impossible or not. Or I should just get real and get a business degree instead.
1. Local Uni definitely no chance given your age and profile

2. Overseas. Very very Low chance esp given your non relevant diploma.

3. Overseas mbbs will cost you abt 500k. If you got half a mil at your age , you might be better off investing it in the stock market or something.

4. 40s is really too late to change career. Esp med. by the time you finish training. You will be almost 50. You think you can go do 18hr houseman shift? Then by the time you qualify as a doc, your runway will only left 10yrs or so.

That said. I know of someone who went into TCM in his 40s from a Engineering career. Now owns his own tcm clinic.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Blueberry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusb View Post
tcm is not easy too. currently a full time 5 year course. also tcm do not command the same salary as a western doctor. please do consider carefully
I never state I want to get into TCM. lol
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Blueberry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. Local Uni definitely no chance given your age and profile

2. Overseas. Very very Low chance esp given your non relevant diploma.

3. Overseas mbbs will cost you abt 500k. If you got half a mil at your age , you might be better off investing it in the stock market or something.

4. 40s is really too late to change career. Esp med. by the time you finish training. You will be almost 50. You think you can go do 18hr houseman shift? Then by the time you qualify as a doc, your runway will only left 10yrs or so.

That said. I know of someone who went into TCM in his 40s from a Engineering career. Now owns his own tcm clinic.

Good luck
Age discrimination is real in Singapore. This I do understand.

However, 40s is not too late to change career. There are alot of ppl doing a mid-career change in this era. It is what kind of career you want to change to.

Medical endeavour is time consuming and costly. No sane person with personal commitment will go that path though. But then it is never any shameful to ask around isn't it ? If you have a personal interest in medical, you can have a choice to study on your own, less those interviews and aptitude tests. You don't have to stop learning just because of your age and profile. Isn't it ?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Blueberry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. Local Uni definitely no chance given your age and profile

2. Overseas. Very very Low chance esp given your non relevant diploma.

3. Overseas mbbs will cost you abt 500k. If you got half a mil at your age , you might be better off investing it in the stock market or something.

4. 40s is really too late to change career. Esp med. by the time you finish training. You will be almost 50. You think you can go do 18hr houseman shift? Then by the time you qualify as a doc, your runway will only left 10yrs or so.

That said. I know of someone who went into TCM in his 40s from a Engineering career. Now owns his own tcm clinic.

Good luck
Age discrimination is real in Singapore. This I do understand.

However, 40s is not too late to change career. There are alot of ppl doing a mid-career change in this era. It is what kind of career you want to change to.

Medical endeavour is time consuming and costly. No sane person with personal commitment will go that path though. But then it is never any shameful to ask around isn't it ? If you have a personal interest in medical, you can have a choice to study on your own, less those interviews and aptitude tests. You don't have to stop learning just because of your age and profile. Isn't it ?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2018, 03:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I never state I want to get into TCM. lol

how about social work? recently there are lots of advertisement on youtube for mid career change.. if you are passionate about helping people, social work is a great place.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

if you strike lottery and pay full fees for overseas education, i think some uk or australia school will take you.

if they dont feel that your poly diploma is sufficient for entry, then you can do a degree first in life science. then followed by grad school.

alternatively, you can also choose to sit a levels as private candidate, then with a good a level results, apply for undergraduate school, then graduate medical school.
whole process may take 12 or 13 years.

but if you are determined. im sure by 55 years, you should be able to graduate with a post grad mbbs/md.

bottomline is if you have the $$$~1million cash and intellect and drive to study, it is doable!

give your family 200k for their expenses. then for the rest of 800k, keep it for your a level, degree and post grad use.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Age discrimination is real in Singapore. This I do understand.

However, 40s is not too late to change career. There are alot of ppl doing a mid-career change in this era. It is what kind of career you want to change to.

Medical endeavour is time consuming and costly. No sane person with personal commitment will go that path though. But then it is never any shameful to ask around isn't it ? If you have a personal interest in medical, you can have a choice to study on your own, less those interviews and aptitude tests. You don't have to stop learning just because of your age and profile. Isn't it ?
it's not even merely age discrimination.

with the cost and effort required in a medical career. they need to ensure a minimum runway in order to recoup the cost of training etc.

i do hear of mid career nursing change. perhaps that would be a more viable option for the TS.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interested in Position of VP (Administration) at MOE soniafatah Income and Jobs 16 16-05-2019 07:30 PM
Diverse experience in diff area or specialist experience in same area,which is better dreamzknight Income and Jobs 0 14-04-2018 01:01 PM
Geylang area to be rezoned chrystlee General Discussions 0 19-01-2015 11:40 PM
Anybody interested to Join a tutor Job - Part Time and Full Time ChampionTutor Marketplace and Find Work 1 24-09-2014 12:49 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
318 Replies, 238,847 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,559 Replies, 5,429,814 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,594 Replies, 2,362,207 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,144 Replies, 876,357 Views
Invest in D9 new condo
1 Replies, 951 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,806 Replies, 1,054,176 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,971 Replies, 913,894 Views
Salary negotiation for fresh grads
9 Replies, 3,683 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,201 Replies, 1,854,265 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,552 Replies, 1,544,821 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
909 Replies, 736,551 Views
List of Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
179 Replies, 126,076 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 10,076 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 20,788 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months...
6 Replies, 707 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
226 Replies, 43,460 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 9,595 Views
Do most MNCs pay better than the... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 2,244 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,704 Replies, 778,170 Views
Dentist Salary
6 Replies, 5,852 Views
Big Four Promotion/Bonus/Incr... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,147 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
710 Replies, 340,331 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,437 Replies, 744,247 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,228 Replies, 230,625 Views
What house should I buy after... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 8,142 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
58 Replies, 15,881 Views
Salary working for SEA FP&A...
6 Replies, 813 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
801 Replies, 532,011 Views
Singapore Land Authority
5 Replies, 871 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
344 Replies, 273,549 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2