Should I pay both sides of CPF? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > CPF (Central Provident Fund)

CPF (Central Provident Fund) All about OA, SA, MA and RA, and strategies to optimize your CPF




Should I pay both sides of CPF?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 28
samantha_wong is on a distinguished road
Default Should I pay both sides of CPF?

Hi,
I found a job after a long period of joblessless. My employer wants me to pay both sides of CPF and I have agreed in writing to do the same. In sept i paid for both sides of CPf. This company has a "cost to company" basis of compensation.
tHIS Appears unusual. Most companies I know pay the employer's side of cpf and don ask the employee to pay for this.
any thoughts?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This is illegal and you should report this immediately to MOM, anonymously if you must. Contact your CDAC/SINDA branch for legitimate job finding assistance.

Recently alot of FTs in management/HR positions trying to import their third-world practices into Singapore.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Most likely to be illegal. See s 7(5) of the CPF Act (s://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/CPFA1953?ProvIds=pr7-#pr7-(

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha_wong View Post
Hi,
I found a job after a long period of joblessless. My employer wants me to pay both sides of CPF and I have agreed in writing to do the same. In sept i paid for both sides of CPf. This company has a "cost to company" basis of compensation.
tHIS Appears unusual. Most companies I know pay the employer's side of cpf and don ask the employee to pay for this.
any thoughts?
U send email to your manager (documentary proof) ask them to reimburse you back or you will report MOM.

Then keep the email and forward MOM

Employer cpf means employer contribute.

For a fresh grad with monthly pay of $3000, i actually do costing of $60k, coz need to account for bonus, employer cpf, hospitalization leave, mc, training.

So your employer play punk, you play punk with them.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 335
lazyplane is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha_wong View Post
Hi,
I found a job after a long period of joblessless. My employer wants me to pay both sides of CPF and I have agreed in writing to do the same. In sept i paid for both sides of CPf. This company has a "cost to company" basis of compensation.
tHIS Appears unusual. Most companies I know pay the employer's side of cpf and don ask the employee to pay for this.
any thoughts?
Just to add on -

It does not matter if your employer asked and you signed the contract with the above terms as the contract is illegal and hence cannot be enforced.

While your rights as an employee will be protected by the government and hence you can file your case with MOM.

Having said that ,
It is important to feed yourself cos no point talking about rights when you dont have food. What i mean is :

The practical reality is - I will suggest once you take the above actions - you will need to leave the company. It is unlikely things will work well for you after these actions. So if i am you and i dont have a job, i will do what i can ie look for a new job and know my rights. I will file the case only after i find a new job as it is no point staying with a non compliant company. I will also be very careful in signing matters that are "grey" cos if the company can get something as basic as CPF wrong, there is likely a few more areas that cannot be right.


All the best ! Hope things work out for you
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Report to CPF and MOM

What your company did is definitely illegal and wrong. Please email MOM and CPF immediately. Attached a copy of your contract in that email. They will take over the case and commence investigation.

Don't worry about your company suing you. The contract is an illegal contract, not enforceable in the eyes of the contract law.

You will get your cpf contribution from employer back.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Jennifer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default CPF payments

I did just that. As soon as I learnt that the employer cannot ask me to pay for both sides of CPF, I quietly gathered all salary slips. I changed jobs to be doubly sure and then approached the CPF Board. They recovered all the money with interest.

Do not be meek. Stand up for your rights against these FT managers who are importing the wrong practices from there countries.

What is legal there may not be legal here.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What your company did is definitely illegal and wrong. Please email MOM and CPF immediately. Attached a copy of your contract in that email. They will take over the case and commence investigation.

Don't worry about your company suing you. The contract is an illegal contract, not enforceable in the eyes of the contract law.

You will get your cpf contribution from employer back.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
I did just that. As soon as I learnt that the employer cannot ask me to pay for both sides of CPF, I quietly gathered all salary slips. I changed jobs to be doubly sure and then approached the CPF Board. They recovered all the money with interest.

Do not be meek. Stand up for your rights against these FT managers who are importing the wrong practices from there countries.

What is legal there may not be legal here.

-----------------------------------------------------
I cannot think of the reason why would they want you to pay for the employer contribution.


If u are ft, then it makes sense to inflate your salary to qualify to s pass or employment pass.

But since you are paying cpf, means at least a PR or citizen which dont need a minimum income.


Asking you pay for employer CPF, still means they still have to pay u the wages. Your wages albeit inflated still comes from them. So in terms of expenses, and their income after operating cost will still be the same. So attract the same company tax.

The only possible reason is they put employer CPF as an expense in their tax returns but asked you to pay, that way they could save some tax but still not a lot. This means they are doing tax evasion.

The second reason is just to inflate pay a little to attract SG to come work to satisfy their local quota.

Either case is illegal. Especially the tax evasion part.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21-10-2018, 12:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default cpf violations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I cannot think of the reason why would they want you to pay for the employer contribution.


If u are ft, then it makes sense to inflate your salary to qualify to s pass or employment pass.

But since you are paying cpf, means at least a PR or citizen which dont need a minimum income.


Asking you pay for employer CPF, still means they still have to pay u the wages. Your wages albeit inflated still comes from them. So in terms of expenses, and their income after operating cost will still be the same. So attract the same company tax.

The only possible reason is they put employer CPF as an expense in their tax returns but asked you to pay, that way they could save some tax but still not a lot. This means they are doing tax evasion.

The second reason is just to inflate pay a little to attract SG to come work to satisfy their local quota.

Either case is illegal. Especially the tax evasion part.
Not just foreign employes, but true bread Singapore employers are doing this.

s://fionaseah.com/tag/cpf/

s://workingwithgrace.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/an-email-from-the-cpf-board/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default smarter option

i think its better to just continue working till you get 1-2 year exp. right before you leave, send all the evidence to cpf and let them claim back what you rightfully own
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cpf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,906 Replies, 1,859,305 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,841 Replies, 6,213,351 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,225 Replies, 866,463 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,985 Replies, 780,981 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,481 Replies, 1,965,876 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
544 Replies, 186,684 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,832 Replies, 2,789,934 Views
Advice needed! Final crossroad,... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 349 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
872 Replies, 505,315 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,007 Replies, 8,663,689 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,623 Replies, 2,238,734 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,982 Replies, 517,355 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
75 Replies, 24,460 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,140 Replies, 498,404 Views
Need some advice if I should early... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 553 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
338 Replies, 125,044 Views
crypto trading tech roles
5 Replies, 885 Views
is this tech job normal? ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 3,218 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
306 Replies, 137,588 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
840 Replies, 388,642 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
318 Replies, 208,695 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 172,881 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,721 Replies, 816,072 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
858 Replies, 592,548 Views
15% ROI monthly is it too hard to... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 2,655 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,046 Replies, 356,060 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 60,895 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,327 Replies, 2,223,689 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
347 Replies, 136,629 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
855 Replies, 222,384 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2