GovTech - Page 505 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.




GovTech

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5041 (permalink)  
Old 16-03-2024, 10:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hahaha... now govtech has degraded to the likes of ST already.

not even that, the elites that they hired standard dropped so fast as to do low SES copycat acts.
so all of them getting A for appraisal
the org chart saw a tech lead under a tech lead, indeed brilliant

Reply With Quote
  #5042 (permalink)  
Old 16-03-2024, 11:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

1.0**** 10 Apr 2023

Toxic Senior Management
Software Engineer, Current employee, more than 3 years
X Recommend
- CEO Approval
X Business Outlook

Pros
General staff benefits are good, and work-life balance is better than most of the other government agencies.

Cons
The senior management appear to lack concern for the well-being of their staff, particularly those in GDS central. The senior management team in GDS central may come across as kind and friendly, but they true character is far from it. They are solely concerned with impressing their superiors and showcasing the software's capabilities, without regard for the challenges faced by software developers in implementing such features. Despite the impracticality of these demands, they puts immense pressure on the team to deliver, often requiring excessive overtime. Their only concern is saving face, with little regard for anything else.

Another issue is the company's salary policies. When employees have raised concerns about their salaries not being competitive, the senior management dismissed them, citing their salaries as already being too high. It is apparent that this statement only applies to the senior management, who take credit for the work of the software engineers and reap the rewards, such as good grades and high bonuses. Meanwhile, the developers themselves receive mediocre grades and low bonuses, despite their hard work.

It is advised to approach joining Govtech, particularly GDS central, with caution. The senior management team put little regard for their well-being.

Advice to Management
The CE and HR should reconsider their approach to placing individuals in senior management positions.

Reply With Quote
  #5043 (permalink)  
Old 16-03-2024, 11:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Govtech got so shitty meh? Glassdoor rating still at 3.9, not much diff from last year. Seems like all the hooha about nothing
1.0 ****

Simply not Agile, Bold and Collaborative
Delivery Manager
Former employee, less than 1 year

Pros
Good place for entry level engineers to start and learn new technologies.

You will meet some capable people genuinely wanting to contribute to the nation, especially during the COVID situation, not just in Govtech but in the various agencies.

Some groups, mostly in HQ, are moving in the right direction in terms of actually adding value, new tech to public service. My rating is mainly for the department I was assigned to.

Cons
Lots of overtime due to inefficient processes and middle management not willing to even try to clear the issues, that are beyond the control of staff working on the ground. Not ideal for people that worked for many years in highly productive private sectors with good work life balance.

You may encounter toxic leads and managers (see link), who will do anything (bully, lie, sycophants) to make themselves look good for promotion and grading. So just watch out. (Google on dealing with jealous manager) . The thought of paying taxes to these leads/middle managers simply puts people off.

Usually people get promoted not because of the value delivered from their work, but doing things like presentations or "volunteer" in some extra activities or actively participating in chatgroups, that do not add value to their core work or to the public.

There is a strong fear of failure within the organisation, so people are wary of taking challenging tasks, blame others when things don't go well, or follow the old way of working so to have a flawless record for their performance review based on a bell curve. This is somehow ironic considering the values Agile, Bold and Collaborative that they kept espousing.

Advice to Management
Refer to what Philip Yeo mentioned about the 'eunuch disease' in public service.
Get rid of your little serfdoms, and toxic middle managers that only set the wrong examples to future leaders. Help bridge the tech and agency together as one true collaboration, instead of being afraid of offending them, focusing on workaround ways of working.

Lead by example the Govtech values, not just talk (especially middle management ).

HR may want to consider cross department, team, agency review, and bottom up review, team objectives (instead of individual ranking) as part of KPI.

Reply With Quote
  #5044 (permalink)  
Old 16-03-2024, 11:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1.0 ****

Simply not Agile, Bold and Collaborative
Delivery Manager
Former employee, less than 1 year

Pros
Good place for entry level engineers to start and learn new technologies.

You will meet some capable people genuinely wanting to contribute to the nation, especially during the COVID situation, not just in Govtech but in the various agencies.

Some groups, mostly in HQ, are moving in the right direction in terms of actually adding value, new tech to public service. My rating is mainly for the department I was assigned to.

Cons
Lots of overtime due to inefficient processes and middle management not willing to even try to clear the issues, that are beyond the control of staff working on the ground. Not ideal for people that worked for many years in highly productive private sectors with good work life balance.

You may encounter toxic leads and managers (see link), who will do anything (bully, lie, sycophants) to make themselves look good for promotion and grading. So just watch out. (Google on dealing with jealous manager) . The thought of paying taxes to these leads/middle managers simply puts people off.

Usually people get promoted not because of the value delivered from their work, but doing things like presentations or "volunteer" in some extra activities or actively participating in chatgroups, that do not add value to their core work or to the public.

There is a strong fear of failure within the organisation, so people are wary of taking challenging tasks, blame others when things don't go well, or follow the old way of working so to have a flawless record for their performance review based on a bell curve. This is somehow ironic considering the values Agile, Bold and Collaborative that they kept espousing.

Advice to Management
Refer to what Philip Yeo mentioned about the 'eunuch disease' in public service.
Get rid of your little serfdoms, and toxic middle managers that only set the wrong examples to future leaders. Help bridge the tech and agency together as one true collaboration, instead of being afraid of offending them, focusing on workaround ways of working.

Lead by example the Govtech values, not just talk (especially middle management ).

HR may want to consider cross department, team, agency review, and bottom up review, team objectives (instead of individual ranking) as part of KPI.
Usually people get promoted not because of the value delivered from their work, but doing things like presentations or "volunteer" in some extra activities or actively participating in chatgroups, that do not add value to their core work or to the public.

fun fact which is ridiculous
Reply With Quote
  #5045 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2024, 12:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is shameful...
indeed, no pun intended.
Reply With Quote
  #5046 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2024, 07:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Usually people get promoted not because of the value delivered from their work, but doing things like presentations or "volunteer" in some extra activities or actively participating in chatgroups, that do not add value to their core work or to the public.

fun fact which is ridiculous
Its both actually. If u dont do tasks that shines u or put u to the spotlight, how the bosses get to know u or justify to promote u


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #5047 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2024, 07:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
so all of them getting A for appraisal
the org chart saw a tech lead under a tech lead, indeed brilliant
Serious? Might as well they come another ogp.

I am from services so not sure what kind of contributions they have done or reached out.

I am actually still salty, no idea why their title and grade so inflated. Read back my previous posts, a bit a bit also principal, lead. Sibeh damn unfair

But good also, dont need or don't want to know or don't care.
Reply With Quote
  #5048 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2024, 07:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Serious? Might as well they come another ogp.

I am from services so not sure what kind of contributions they have done or reached out.

I am actually still salty, no idea why their title and grade so inflated. Read back my previous posts, a bit a bit also principal, lead. Sibeh damn unfair

But good also, dont need or don't want to know or don't care.
you sound like you havent reach the senior grade
Reply With Quote
  #5049 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2024, 07:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone from services read the recent pptx sent out during services townhall?

Agile remains the lowest for L3 and above. Not sure why they put the L3 bar so high.

Made me lost interest to apply L3. Ownself and internal know enough alr


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5050 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2024, 07:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone from services read the recent pptx sent out during services townhall?

Agile remains the lowest for L3 and above. Not sure why they put the L3 bar so high.

Made me lost interest to apply L3. Ownself and internal know enough alr
smart people come out this bar so high so they become distinct from you all
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
govtech

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GovTech / CSA / IMDA TechGraduate Income and Jobs 12 04-03-2022 11:25 PM
Govtech [email protected] Income and Jobs 1 15-03-2021 06:24 PM
Govtech [email protected] Education and Personal Growth 1 15-03-2021 06:24 PM
Govtech bonus jose Income and Jobs 32 20-11-2020 10:54 PM
Govtech Hiring Timeline luci3l Income and Jobs 2 03-09-2018 12:02 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
259 Replies, 201,673 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,499 Replies, 12,891,152 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,690 Replies, 7,133,797 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,409 Replies, 1,223,173 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,372 Replies, 3,962,009 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,538 Replies, 3,611,971 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
737 Replies, 585,172 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,016 Replies, 5,453,262 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,592 Replies, 2,563,079 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
874 Replies, 466,905 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,278 Replies, 1,160,601 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
831 Replies, 475,673 Views
GIC offer ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 661 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,085 Replies, 2,550,332 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,394 Replies, 10,782,940 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,924 Replies, 1,656,725 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
928 Replies, 447,056 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 8,011 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
283 Replies, 406,391 Views
DBS Bank career advancement,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
138 Replies, 311,531 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 400,456 Views
AIC Agency of Integrated Care Jobs? ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 15,128 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,041 Replies, 4,887,688 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,942 Replies, 2,988,165 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,469 Replies, 4,974,827 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 109,836 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
4 Replies, 488 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,351 Replies, 696,792 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
498 Replies, 665,840 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2