ST Electronics - Page 205 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

ST Electronics

Old 04-05-2021, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can you describe what an engineer do daily?

Cause I see my engineer colleague daily schedule is as follows and I don't get which part makes him an engineer.

830 am come office
900 am breakfast in canteen
930 am check email or prepare for meeting.
1000 am meeting with boss to just give update. No PowerPoint slide etc. Usually just end up discussing problem. Like this guys this problem. Customer don't want to sign this. They want a demo etc...
1130 am to lunch.
130 pm come back lunch.
200 pm do some paper work fill up form to buy stuff. Not sure what.
300 pm he brain dead tired keep going toilet or go store room to check stuff.
4 pm tea break before canteen close.
5 pm come back chit chat with colleague about problem.
530 pm go home.

Not sure what an engineer really do?
I don't see any design. Or draw plans.
Or engineer or calculate power or draw circuit?
Sometimes I wonder this job so brainless do you really need a 6 to 7k senior engineer to just meeting and check store room?

Some days it's just always in meeting room.
Or some days it's always at the test lab.
But can't really see any product or design.

So engineer do what one?
Sounds like a pool of imbeciles.
I have interviewed ST staffs before and I must say the quality of this group of people varies drastically. The disappointing ones don't know anything much and they even can link promotions to the paper qualifications. They treat it like a rotation job and when it's time, they promote if they have a degree.
The better ones also don't know much as though they have been wasting their time in ST doing nothing. But at least this group are willing to learn.
Some of them come with so much angst and distisfaction with the company that I sometimes wonder why did they even join in the first place.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Cause I see my engineer colleague daily schedule is as follows and I don't get which part makes him an engineer.

830 am come office
1000 am meeting with boss to just give update. No PowerPoint slide etc. Usually just end up discussing problem. Like this guys this problem. Customer don't want to sign this. They want a demo etc...
1130 am to lunch.
130 pm come back lunch.
530 pm go home.

Sometimes I wonder this job so brainless do you really need a 6 to 7k senior engineer to just meeting and check store room?

So engineer do what one?
Check toilet lo, make sure no choking.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Engineer solve engineering problem lo haha.
Engineer solve management problem la

Old 04-05-2021, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

830 am come office
1130 am to lunch.
130 pm come back lunch.
530 pm go home.

So engineer do what one?
Your colleague sounds like a project engineer or project manager.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Your colleague sounds like a project engineer or project manager.
MNC project engineer here.
I can't imagine how useless the ST project management team is if that's what defines a project engineer/manager.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
MNC project engineer here.
I can't imagine how useless the ST project management team is if that's what defines a project engineer/manager.
I'm curious what is your normal job in a MNC as a project engineer.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm curious what is your normal job in a MNC as a project engineer.
Quite a lot of work.

Link up with business development on new feasible projects and draw up the charter to convince the management that a new project is worth the investment.

Loads of meetings with defined outputs to meet. The quality guys will be there to make sure you stick to agenda and get everyone to clear off the agenda of the day. You won't have a meeting that's talking about nothing, it is always about meeting some input. The meetings can take place during the wee hours of the morning in order to accommodate customers or colleagues from another time zone. Sometimes in teams sometimes in zoom whichever customer wants. Before the covid, I have to fly over to customer's sites when we have major buy off gates to clear.

Sometimes project team members run into disputes with customers, so I need to coordinate with stakeholders to negotiate until the disputes are resolved.

Some software or products end up with automotive, telecommunications or aerospace so I need to get the right quality team to support because each industry have their own requirements and it's a pain in the ass to have violations. Be at customer audits which sometimes take place in a remote location in the industrial area of rural US, Europe or China. Luckily we have a global team of subject matter experts to support, so I don't have to do everything myself.

Make sure the design is up to customers requirement because they sometimes change their mind every now and then jeopardizing my deadlines. Our design engineers also may have different ideas which I need to align them with customer expectations so I really need to have some technical knowledge. I will have to renegotiate new deadlines to avoid penalty. Just like one of the major auto customer suddenly decided to change a related part from another supplier and it affected our development. The original DFM didn't work anymore and we had to restart many activities setting us back 2 gates which is about 6-9 months of wasted efforts. So I had to negotiate with legal and product management on compensation from the customer that was pre-agreed in our master service agreement with customer and reset the new deadlines.

It's a very challenging job of communication and coordination with a global team and customer under pressing schedule. No one day is alike with another.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Quite a lot of work.

Link up with business development on new feasible projects and draw up the charter to convince the management that a new project is worth the investment.

Loads of meetings with defined outputs to meet. The quality guys will be there to make sure you stick to agenda and get everyone to clear off the agenda of the day. You won't have a meeting that's talking about nothing, it is always about meeting some input. The meetings can take place during the wee hours of the morning in order to accommodate customers or colleagues from another time zone. Sometimes in teams sometimes in zoom whichever customer wants. Before the covid, I have to fly over to customer's sites when we have major buy off gates to clear.

Sometimes project team members run into disputes with customers, so I need to coordinate with stakeholders to negotiate until the disputes are resolved.

Some software or products end up with automotive, telecommunications or aerospace so I need to get the right quality team to support because each industry have their own requirements and it's a pain in the ass to have violations. Be at customer audits which sometimes take place in a remote location in the industrial area of rural US, Europe or China. Luckily we have a global team of subject matter experts to support, so I don't have to do everything myself.

Make sure the design is up to customers requirement because they sometimes change their mind every now and then jeopardizing my deadlines. Our design engineers also may have different ideas which I need to align them with customer expectations so I really need to have some technical knowledge. I will have to renegotiate new deadlines to avoid penalty. Just like one of the major auto customer suddenly decided to change a related part from another supplier and it affected our development. The original DFM didn't work anymore and we had to restart many activities setting us back 2 gates which is about 6-9 months of wasted efforts. So I had to negotiate with legal and product management on compensation from the customer that was pre-agreed in our master service agreement with customer and reset the new deadlines.

It's a very challenging job of communication and coordination with a global team and customer under pressing schedule. No one day is alike with another.

This is solid project management work my friend.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quite a lot of work.

Really project management. You must have a master degree to be able to do that.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is solid project management work my friend.
I hope I have been solid enough. Was lucky to get the right exposure when I was younger, grabbed the opportunity and worked hard, learnt from mistakes made, got my PMP and did my best for the job.

Quote:
Really project management. You must have a master degree to be able to do that.
No I don't. I'm just a diploma holder with loads of experience.