Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 09-04-2016 01:37 AM

Quote:

Caliber of people is not just about how good you are at exams and starting pay. A lot of prestigious MNCs have comprehensive assessment centers to measure many attributes. The best and most well rounded people are usually already taken up by all these companies. Not everything is about starting pay; culture, branding and opportunities to progress count as well.
I agree with the first sentence. However, as you might already observed from university, the 50th percentile university student can't even get a second upper. (and hence won't even be shortlisted for the interview). Are you perhaps referring to 50th percentile of another subset? If so, please specify clearly.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82997)
It's not just about opportunity and exposure, it is also about intelligence. STE people are generally just not there on the IQ, even if you give them exposure they also cannot learn much.

It is not that joining STE makes someone dumb, its the culture there just causes smart people to leave after a few months and the lousy whiners no choice stay there with badass demotivation. Vicious cycle. No youngster who has a shred of dignity, professionalism and marketability for better pay will stay there long.

My personal observation in terms of engineering is DSO tends to get good (but not top) like 75 percentile talents, DSTA average to good 50-75 percentile, SME tend to get 25-50 percentile. STE/NCS good buddies always picking up the bottom below 25 percentile calibre people.

i wonder if this guy been to local uni before anot? average to good is 50-75? if u dont know just diam diam lah.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 09:36 AM

If given a choice, join NCS better? For better salary and progression? Looks like STE is condemned to the bottom.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83141)
i wonder if this guy been to local uni before anot? average to good is 50-75? if u dont know just diam diam lah.

i'm sure he is just referring to average to good among engine grads lah. if u include ite/poly & all the pte uni schools of course even a 3 or 2:2 honors from ntu/nus is considered 'elite'

the best engine grads either take scholarship overseas for further studies or join those structured programs in mncs anyway.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83137)
Caliber of people is not just about how good you are at exams and starting pay. A lot of prestigious MNCs have comprehensive assessment centers to measure many attributes. The best and most well rounded people are usually already taken up by all these companies. Not everything is about starting pay; culture, branding and opportunities to progress count as well.

DSTA people regardless of class of honors are generally above average, but in terms of actual work they tend to be more narrow in their competency. DSTA engineers are good people who get the job done, but not the type that can break new frontiers or demonstrate superior project management skills or exhibit strong leadership traits.

The only reason why they pay higher for FCH is this outdated gov mentality of adding a few hundred dollars to starting pay for every additional level of honors you get.

Just my personal opinion after interacting with quite a number of them.

Total rubbish from an ignorant fool. DSTA is among the top employers in the engineering world and pays close to top dollars also. Other than investment banks, they are one of the highest payers out there.

50-75 people? More like you fail to make the cut and come here to sour grapes put down DSTA.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83151)
i'm sure he is just referring to average to good among engine grads lah. if u include ite/poly & all the pte uni schools of course even a 3 or 2:2 honors from ntu/nus is considered 'elite'

the best engine grads either take scholarship overseas for further studies or join those structured programs in mncs anyway.

100% bs. I have a uni friend FCH go join DSTA and after 5 years now already drawing 12k. Other than banks, private sector also cannot match.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83156)
100% bs. I have a uni friend FCH go join DSTA and after 5 years now already drawing 12k. Other than banks, private sector also cannot match.

i agreed with u, its a joke that the commenter says that those 'elite' will go to MNC. i bet he did not know much about DSTA that a lot of scholar from ivy league working in DSTA.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83160)
i agreed with u, its a joke that the commenter says that those 'elite' will go to MNC. i bet he did not know much about DSTA that a lot of scholar from ivy league working in DSTA.

From what i hear DSTA scholars move up even faster than foreign bank management program. Most can exceed 300k within 10 years. Maybe only FO and traders earn more. A lot of misunderstanding & false info here.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83166)
From what i hear DSTA scholars move up even faster than foreign bank management program. Most can exceed 300k within 10 years. Maybe only FO and traders earn more. A lot of misunderstanding & false info here.

this is only for scholars. most normal engineers at dsta only include allowance, aws & bonus then got hope of exceeding 300k in 10 yrs.

Unregistered 09-04-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83151)

PLEASE, ITE/POLY does not even consider as ENGINEER. they are normally classified as technician or associate engineer. It's not like you took engineering course means you are engineer. another dumb ****