Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 30-09-2021 09:41 PM

What is the total compensation in DSO IC design?

I found that DSO hires IC designers these days. I am due to graduate from NUS EE and so I would like to know what are the average pay, number of months of bonus and AWS the DSO pays?

Unregistered 01-10-2021 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184825)
I found that DSO hires IC designers these days. I am due to graduate from NUS EE and so I would like to know what are the average pay, number of months of bonus and AWS the DSO pays?

3k+, maybe 6k after 8-10 years..retire at aroubd 8k if lucky!

Unregistered 01-10-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184851)
3k+, maybe 6k after 8-10 years..retire at aroubd 8k if lucky!

Where got so low?
I interviewed a few candidate this year already during covid-19, they asking for 4k+ starting pay. The most ridiculous one was a 2nd upper nus comp science asking for 4.9k.

I purposely gave him a programming test from a previous hackathon competition. He can't do.

I broke his confidence. Hahaha. And didn't offer him the job. In the reason for rejection, I put "Starting pay above expectation but interview assessment which included problem solving using coding abilities expected from a comp science student is below expectation".

In the end, we can only afford a SIM cyber security, but he very team player. So I guess it works out the same.

Unregistered 02-10-2021 07:38 AM

Is it true that for perm staff, every 3 years is promotion? Provided decent to good performance.

Unregistered 02-10-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184935)
Is it true that for perm staff, every 3 years is promotion? Provided decent to good performance.

No that is not true. There's alot of misinformation in this thread about ST Engineering and mostly by contract staff who only see the tip of the iceberg. Fact that ST Engineering is very diverse in culture and practice muddies the water alot.

For perm staff promotion it depends on performance and quota available. There are cmi perm staff who are stuck in the same grade for 8 to 10 years.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184996)
No that is not true. There's alot of misinformation in this thread about ST Engineering and mostly by contract staff who only see the tip of the iceberg. Fact that ST Engineering is very diverse in culture and practice muddies the water alot.

For perm staff promotion it depends on performance and quota available. There are cmi perm staff who are stuck in the same grade for 8 to 10 years.

Nah... too many JLB in ST so Promotion or not still compete with another JLB.
The politics also plays a big part in promotion.
How diverse can the culture be? Compare to a mnc? ST culture is another army style lah. If you can survive in the top down and do less means less problem attitude means you will like ST. If you want to chiong and get results then go and join mnc lah, if you can.

Unregistered 04-10-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

I don't think information by perm staff here is misinformation. It's precisely how they are treated like outsiders that those views are given.

There are so many instances witnessed that in a team, it's always the perm staff that were given more opportunities and promotions. Most of the divisions with high turnover rates are usually from outsourced contract staff, but hardly any perm staff leave.

Unregistered 04-10-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184895)
Where got so low?
I interviewed a few candidate this year already during covid-19, they asking for 4k+ starting pay. The most ridiculous one was a 2nd upper nus comp science asking for 4.9k.

I purposely gave him a programming test from a previous hackathon competition. He can't do.

I broke his confidence. Hahaha. And didn't offer him the job. In the reason for rejection, I put "Starting pay above expectation but interview assessment which included problem solving using coding abilities expected from a comp science student is below expectation".

In the end, we can only afford a SIM cyber security, but he very team player. So I guess it works out the same.

Lol what a sad sour loser you are.

Unregistered 04-10-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184895)
Where got so low?

Precisely the type of culture so many are complaining about in ST. Superiority complex in the pond but can never exit the pond into the ocean. Loser. That candidate just dodged a bullet.

Unregistered 04-10-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185165)
I don't think information by perm staff here is misinformation. It's precisely how they are treated like outsiders that those views are given.

There are so many instances witnessed that in a team, it's always the perm staff that were given more opportunities and promotions. Most of the divisions with high turnover rates are usually from outsourced contract staff, but hardly any perm staff leave.

Sorry, I mean information by contract staff, not perm staff.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 11:20 PM

Quote:

Most of the engineers are promoted once every 3 to 5 years as long as they get an average performance.
Unfortunately there are some staff who are stuck in the same job grade for more than 5 years too. These are the staff who might not be able to make it in terms or performance or their department is not one of those who promote every 3 years, think of corporate functions. There are also some who are hardworking enough but unfortunately not appreciated.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184576)
Your appointment will commence at a basic salary of S$xxxx per month which
is inclusive of the monthly variable component amounting to 10% of your latest
monthly basic salary at this time. Please note that this variable component may be
reviewed over time.

curryneh
i am getting lesser than the % on contract, who can i seek help?

You can check with the TA who hired you. They should have gone through the offer letter with you before you sign.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chua (Post 164671)
Does ST put a lot of emphasis on paper qualifications? A headhunting agency called me up for a job 2 weeks ago about an assistant engineer/senior tech position. I hope I did the right thing by listening to my friend to decline the agency. I am already engineer 2 in a MNC.

My friend told me that he responded to an agency's invitation and went for an interview in ST about 4 years ago. He is about 10 years older than me and I know he has more than 10 years of experience currently managing projects in many parts of the world. He was promoted to a program manager in another american MNC like last year during COVID and he is certified PMP but he only has a diploma. But he was only offered a position of an assistant engineer and the interviewer even got confused because he could not get over the part of a diploma holder being a project manager. But he did say that the interviewer was respectful though.

Unfortunately. Yes.
Education is a barrier for those who have skill sets but not the qualifications in ST.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185362)
Unfortunately. Yes.
Education is a barrier for those who have skill sets but not the qualifications in ST.

Must be fair to those who took their degree. You can also think back, if a degree holder cannot promote faster than diploma holder then why i take a degree for? If you want to promote them take a degree loh. Do you think 10 years experience in what mnc as a diploma holder can be better than a degree holder even he is a fresh grad? That post shows how disconnected he is from the real world.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185375)
Must be fair to those who took their degree. You can also think back, if a degree holder cannot promote faster than diploma holder then why i take a degree for? If you want to promote them take a degree loh. Do you think 10 years experience in what mnc as a diploma holder can be better than a degree holder even he is a fresh grad? That post shows how disconnected he is from the real world.

Diploma really can jiak sai...

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185376)
Diploma really can jiak sai...

Ya. Funny people think they can promote with a diploma only. 10 year experience so what? Talk so much what value add. Last Time got 1 interviewee got what six sic mah or don't know what taekwondo green belt want to apply for manager but when i ask why no degree, he give what stupid reason does not value add. Dun have means dun have. I dun care what value or how much money he make for the company or how many project he run before lah. No degree do you think he can do this? Big cannon fairy also must be realistic.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185378)
Ya. Funny people think they can promote with a diploma only. 10 year experience so what? Talk so much what value add. Last Time got 1 interviewee got what six sic mah or don't know what taekwondo green belt want to apply for manager but when i ask why no degree, he give what stupid reason does not value add. Dun have means dun have. I dun care what value or how much money he make for the company or how many project he run before lah. No degree do you think he can do this? Big cannon fairy also must be realistic.

If diplomas were all you needed for a job all the universities can close down liao.

These diploma holders really need to get their heads out of their a$$e$

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:43 AM

It is not the paper qualification. It is the value you bring to the organization.
Anyone can become the chief if you are able to prove value. The paper is supposed to show a certain level of competence but not the guarantee of value. Your track record aka experience is the evidence of value. Because you prove you have done it before. The paper is just one of the means to help you attain the targeted value. So if you think the degree/diploma is the final stop of your value creation, then you are not value adding and perhaps best suited to stay in ST because you won't survive the real world.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 02:29 PM

If you have degree + masters, you should be able to do any job, even if you don't have relevant exp in that industry.

For eg, a SAF general with MBA can run shipping company, media conglomerate, early childhood development agency, etc. At the end of the day, the org cares most about the paper you bring to the table. Which is why during interview, the first thing ppl talk about is their degree and where they go it from.

Unregistered 11-10-2021 10:20 PM

Tired. Really tired working in STE..

Unregistered 11-10-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185378)

my side got people O level getting promoted at age 55 to M1.

got another guy w diploma to M2 in late 40s to early 50s

Unregistered 12-10-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185915)
Tired. Really tired working in STE..

Why tired? So relax nothing to do one.

Unregistered 12-10-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185940)
Why tired? So relax nothing to do one.

It really depends. It won't be relaxing and nothing to do for divisions with few big projects and many small ones in between, especially if the management prefers lean manpower arrangement, i.e. every team is lacking manpower. In such cases, even M2 and M3s have to do work.

Unregistered 12-10-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185945)
It really depends. It won't be relaxing and nothing to do for divisions with few big projects and many small ones in between, especially if the management prefers lean manpower arrangement, i.e. every team is lacking manpower. In such cases, even M2 and M3s have to do work.

yes there are places where even M4 and M5 are doing coding and system administration & operations work in addition to their regular scope

Unregistered 16-10-2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185945)

mine is cannot retain ppl... so every time lacking manpower. Most of the M grades are overworked here -_-

Unregistered 17-10-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186713)
mine is cannot retain ppl... so every time lacking manpower. Most of the M grades are overworked here -_-

Reason why unable to retain staffs?

Unregistered 19-10-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186840)

My guess is very heavy workload and serious lack of manpower. If not the management is horrible, else they hire a lot of outsourced staff who were pushed with all the work left after knowing how much more disadvantaged their packages are.

Unregistered 19-10-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187036)
My guess is very heavy workload and serious lack of manpower. If not the management is horrible, else they hire a lot of outsourced staff who were pushed with all the work left after knowing how much more disadvantaged their packages are.

The former. Multiple projects, got leave also cannot take. Some projects the moment 1 person leave can gg

Unregistered 19-10-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Usually poor competence amongst management leading to bad culture.

Unregistered 21-10-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Promote only scholar. Scholar do mostly presentation and networking. Take minutes for bosses. Non technical competent.

Technical guys face delayed promotion. Bad grade etc.

Unregistered 26-10-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187291)
Promote only scholar. Scholar do mostly presentation and networking. Take minutes for bosses. Non technical competent.

Technical guys face delayed promotion. Bad grade etc.

I agree with this. ST has a weird culture in some divisions (at least the one I was in) to promote non project related engineers. I have seen project engineers being promoted at lightning speed (E6 to M3 in 4 years) but their support teams like hardware and software barely see any promotion for years, except for very rare occurrence of exceptional performance (e.g. programming god).

Unregistered 29-10-2021 10:57 PM

Thinking of joining ST as cyber security engineer. Anyone have experience there?

Unregistered 29-10-2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188464)
Thinking of joining ST as cyber security engineer. Anyone have experience there?

or as IT support engineer

Unregistered 31-10-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188464)

Busy and might no work life balance.

Unregistered 09-11-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188014)
I agree with this. ST has a weird culture in some divisions (at least the one I was in) to promote non project related engineers. I have seen project engineers being promoted at lightning speed (E6 to M3 in 4 years) but their support teams like hardware and software barely see any promotion for years, except for very rare occurrence of exceptional performance (e.g. programming god).

Some department you wear skirt can promote quite fast. Some just use their mouth and take others credit and push blame also can promote very fast. So managers are damn big story tellers that they can convince the bosses not to promote you. It's bread and butter for these managers. So if there's a good deal out there, don't go thinking of staying in ST.

Unregistered 10-11-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189518)
Some department you wear skirt can promote quite fast. Some just use their mouth and take others credit and push blame also can promote very fast. So managers are damn big story tellers that they can convince the bosses not to promote you. It's bread and butter for these managers. So if there's a good deal out there, don't go thinking of staying in ST.

Usually after 2 - 3 years, people will start to look out for opportunities outside of ST.

Unregistered 11-11-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

It's unfortunate for technical staff are appraised by management who do not have technical backgrounds.

My former sup tried to promote the E5s and E6s over the 5 years I was there. He only managed to successfully promote one.

Unregistered 11-11-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Some just use their mouth and take others credit and push blame also can promote very fast. >> This sounds like the PM I had.

Unregistered 12-11-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189691)
It's unfortunate for technical staff are appraised by management who do not have technical backgrounds.

My former sup tried to promote the E5s and E6s over the 5 years I was there. He only managed to successfully promote one.

These is very correct. While other companies are putting electric vehicles on road. Or use development softwares to analysis and improve semicon developments

ST only says leadership quality. Leadership is our forte who ever have ",
Leadership" will get promoted.
We have 10 leaders and 2 technical staff who really get things done.
And use politics to say the 2 technical staff no leadership.

Unregistered 14-11-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189846)
These is very correct. While other companies are putting electric vehicles on road. Or use development softwares to analysis and improve semicon developments

ST only says leadership quality. Leadership is our forte who ever have ",
Leadership" will get promoted.
We have 10 leaders and 2 technical staff who really get things done.
And use politics to say the 2 technical staff no leadership.

Who is the ST biggest client? How many % of business are they giving ST?