Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Lobot 19-02-2021 04:26 PM

Not easy to move lei, spent 4 years there doing nothing. Hard to explain what you did during your interviews.

Unregistered 19-02-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobot (Post 156601)
Not easy to move lei, spent 4 years there doing nothing. Hard to explain what you did during your interviews.

You must learn how to smoke for your interview.
How you do well for your interview, you can go to learn.

Unregistered 20-02-2021 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156592)
My contract also expiring 1st April. I checked with jobline they have already send notification to company but no news. Jobline told me is usually 3 months before expiry will inform...

But I check with my RO, she can't give me answer cause she also dunno my outcome..
Seems like it's not her call, headcount or budget or something.

Oh well time to move on, work here for 4 years..
Time to start elsewhere from the bottom again.

I feel for you. Suddenly during bad years contract never renew regardless of performance.

Unregistered 20-02-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156638)
I feel for you. Suddenly during bad years contract never renew regardless of performance.

It's not personal, it's just business...

So don't be personal with colleagues.

Unregistered 21-02-2021 01:46 PM

try harder again next time

Unregistered 21-02-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobot (Post 156601)

Then restart your career la, to be honest, this is your choice which you have chosen to stay there doing nothing for the past 4 yr and earn the $. so, i think you can only blame urself.

Now is up to you whether you wan to suffer a bit of pay cut and move on to something which you can learn and grow yourself or continue to do nothing and rot there.

Unregistered 22-02-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156533)
Takes alot of time to grade meh?
Grading is done on a day to day basis on my side.
We already know who is what grade based on daily interaction at work.

Don't need to wait until one magical day to "waste time and productivity" to do grading.
You mean you can't tell who is performing and who is not performing?

Can't tell who come to work on time who come late everyday?
Can't tell who always make mistake at work or who double check their work?
Can't tell who takes 3 days to response with tai chi excuse and who actually took action to resolve the issue?
Can't tell who is professional with technical knowledge and who is just ********?

If can't tell, then my friend, your grading is just for $ and bonus and promotion and power.
So. Get back to work.

The issue is with convincing the bosses who have the final approval on the grading. Your supervisor can have the best impression of you but you can get the worst grading if the bosses don't agree with your supervisors with their "wide range of information sources".

Unregistered 22-02-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156529)
Then do grading for what? Waste time waste productivity.

People will no mind no bonus if the company is not doing well BUT they were taken care of nicely by the company on good days. Given how a huge percentage of staff feel even during good days, I can see how morales are greatly affected during COVID-19, especially with many bosses who are very bad with words / PR.

Unregistered 22-02-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156760)
The issue is with convincing the bosses who have the final approval on the grading. Your supervisor can have the best impression of you but you can get the worst grading if the bosses don't agree with your supervisors with their "wide range of information sources".

If the boss need so much convincing of your performance....
Then your performance doesn't speak for itself...
Your first time working ah?

Everybody know you should jus aim for not below average can liao.
Default is average. Want exceed expectations ah? Unless you are involved in million dollars project, almost no chance...

Just slack la. Good bonus means need to do more.
Just slack you are getting bonus for not doing any work.

Unregistered 22-02-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156774)
If the boss need so much convincing of your performance....
Then your performance doesn't speak for itself...
Your first time working ah?

Everybody know you should jus aim for not below average can liao.
Default is average. Want exceed expectations ah? Unless you are involved in million dollars project, almost no chance...

Just slack la. Good bonus means need to do more.
Just slack you are getting bonus for not doing any work.

Your analogy is funny. It's precisely the bosses have no idea of what the engineers are doing that is why they need the supervisors to sell the engineers. When the engineering teams are hand-tied due to lack of tools and the unwillingness of the management to invest in new methodologies, the teams get the blame. The teams make recommendations to management for budgeting, rejected due to cost. Teams ask to go course upgrade, rejected due to not in budget.

You have no idea how stuck in the well some bosses are when it comes to the latest technology and practices. Give you sand and water but expect you to build a cement house.

Probably you put on the best wayang show for your bosses to see.

Unregistered 22-02-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156776)
Your analogy is funny. It's precisely the bosses have no idea of what the engineers are doing that is why they need the supervisors to sell the engineers. When the engineering teams are hand-tied due to lack of tools and the unwillingness of the management to invest in new methodologies, the teams get the blame. The teams make recommendations to management for budgeting, rejected due to cost. Teams ask to go course upgrade, rejected due to not in budget.

You have no idea how stuck in the well some bosses are when it comes to the latest technology and practices. Give you sand and water but expect you to build a cement house.

For a company that is called ST Engineering. I find it hilarious that it's run by non engineers Management.

Unregistered 22-02-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156776)

You don't know meh? All the seniors is this attitude. Anything don't say cannot do.
But also won't do.

I look at you. You look at me. Not my taichi. Not your taichi.
Ask management solve lo.

Unregistered 22-02-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156779)
You don't know meh? All the seniors is this attitude. Anything don't say cannot do.
But also won't do.

I look at you. You look at me. Not my taichi. Not your taichi.
Ask management solve lo.

Management don't care la.
Last time when I was there they send us go devops course la. Agile la.
But in the end all cannot practise cause cannot use cloud la. Cannot use the tool la. Cannot buy the tool la.

Talk only want to adopt latest methodology but still in the ancient old days of outdated laptop

Unregistered 22-02-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156787)
Management don't care la.
Last time when I was there they send us go devops course la. Agile la.
But in the end all cannot practise cause cannot use cloud la. Cannot use the tool la. Cannot buy the tool la.

Talk only want to adopt latest methodology but still in the ancient old days of outdated laptop

Give you sand and water.
Expect you to turn into cement

noot 22-02-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156788)
Give you sand and water.
Expect you to turn into cement

You pcc out the zhup also can make baby, what's so difficult to make cement?

Unregistered 22-02-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noot (Post 156789)
You pcc out the zhup also can make baby, what's so difficult to make cement?

i girl cannot make zhup out

Unregistered 23-02-2021 11:20 PM

Any news about bonus?

Unregistered 24-02-2021 01:30 AM

s://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/st-engineering-keeps-dividend-unchanged-233006100.html

Unregistered 26-02-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 156778)
For a company that is called ST Engineering. I find it hilarious that it's run by non engineers Management.

Its true.
Share with you something funny in ny division got a M1 he call himself operations manager, but designation is assistant principal manager...
Funny cause M1 is assistant principal engineer la. Not manager la.

Then hor, his RO M2... He also call himself principal manager....
Those ppl M... They really think M stands for management.. Then E5/E6 is engineers.

Anyway 2020 is bad year that now my boss even ask E6 engineers to do prokect management to bring business to company...
Engineer work become management work now ah.
Then those M1, M2 whose job supposed to be that.. Now do engineering troubleshoot and repair work ah?

Unregistered 26-02-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157172)
Its true.
Share with you something funny in ny division got a M1 he call himself operations manager, but designation is assistant principal manager...
Funny cause M1 is assistant principal engineer la. Not manager la.

Then hor, his RO M2... He also call himself principal manager....
Those ppl M... They really think M stands for management.. Then E5/E6 is engineers.

Anyway 2020 is bad year that now my boss even ask E6 engineers to do prokect management to bring business to company...
Engineer work become management work now ah.
Then those M1, M2 whose job supposed to be that.. Now do engineering troubleshoot and repair work ah?

I also no comment previously my RO is M3 senior principal engineer. He just taichi the work to me... To do the system design. Discuss with him. He don't know how to verify the system can work or not. Everything just rely on me. Anything goes wrong also blame me..

In the project system architect is him.. Not me I'm just a lowly senior engineer.
Now after reorg he became VP new title. Got his own office now...

Then why am I not promoted to be M3 to take up his position? Why am I still E6. Not even M1 or M2
So he get a higher inflation position while not even doing his job previously.

While I'm stuck as senior engineer for the past 4 years with no promotion.
I brought it up to him that I have been doing architect work etc. When is my promotion.

He say... No headcount to promote me.
I'm like wtf.

Next month onwards I'll start to come late at 930 am instead of 8 am and go long lunch..
I want to get fired liao.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157174)
I also no comment previously my RO is M3 senior principal engineer. He just taichi the work to me... To do the system design. Discuss with him. He don't know how to verify the system can work or not. Everything just rely on me. Anything goes wrong also blame me..

In the project system architect is him.. Not me I'm just a lowly senior engineer.

Then why am I not promoted to be M3 to take up his position? Why am I still E6. Not even M1 or M2

I brought it up to him that I have been doing architect work etc. When is my promotion.

I'm like wtf.

Next month onwards I'll start to come late at 930 am instead of 8 am and go long lunch..

ST won't fire people one lah, unless you cock something up real bad

Unregistered 26-02-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157175)
ST won't fire people one lah, unless you cock something up real bad

They don't fire but won't renew your contract lo.
Or transfer you out to a more jialat division then give bad performance to affect your bonus lo.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157178)
They don't fire but won't renew your contract lo.
Or transfer you out to a more jialat division then give bad performance to affect your bonus lo.

This. My RO M1 outsource during covid his contract ended. Earlier management communicated to them verbally that it will be renewed.

But then covid hit and suddenly they say no headcount. Can't renew.

My RO feel back stabbed otherwise he would have went to look for another job before contrqct end.
Then due to covid he unemployed for few months.

He sometimes whatapps me asking me how the company doing. Any new hire etc.
I also dunno how to tell him. My contract also ending April 1. No news.

If they can do that to my RO, I'm sure my contract also won't renewed.
Dont know why they can tell us in advance must wait until 1 month before only tell you sorry. This is your last month. Please hand over.

Anyway I already send out job application. Not much news yet.
Thought Singapore job is back to normal..
But doesn't seem like it.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 12:07 PM

For those who are struggling and sending applications and preparing yourselves for a better position elsewhere, I wish you all the best and continue to persevere.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157180)
For those who are struggling and sending applications and preparing yourselves for a better position elsewhere, I wish you all the best and continue to persevere.

If you're software and can do AI, cyber security, data analytics, product management etc. Go apply grab quickly. They hiring 350 for their South East Asian business...

You might be one of the lucky one.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157181)
If you're software and can do AI, cyber security, data analytics, product management etc. Go apply grab quickly. They hiring 350 for their South East Asian business...

Thank you for your suggestion. I have left already. Sadly not at grab though

Unregistered 26-02-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157181)

I heard grab offers comp Sci fresh grad 6k to 7k..
So imagine 350x6500x12 = 27,300,000

27 million per year just to have 350 fresh grab.
Wow how grab can afford...
Here my side want to hire 1extra person to share load also so so so so diffult

One time hire 350.
Grab got balls. Grad management or leaders got balls.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157184)
I heard grab offers comp Sci fresh grad 6k to 7k..
So imagine 350x6500x12 = 27,300,000

27 million per year just to have 350 fresh grab.
Wow how grab can afford...
Here my side want to hire 1extra person to share load also so so so so diffult

One time hire 350.
Grab got balls. Grad management or leaders got balls.

I'm guessing with their level of VC funding. This is nothing for them.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157192)

ST net profit is like 500 million last year.
If they pay their engineers top dollars like grab, won't be able to see that kind of figure.

And all those bonus just go to the top management..

Unregistered 26-02-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157192)

The margins in tech are completely different from manufacturing, though Grab is still loss making or just barely breaking even. Wonder how much cash they going to burn through.

Unregistered 26-02-2021 06:00 PM

What is M2 pay range like?

Unregistered 01-03-2021 08:38 AM

Any bonus?

Unregistered 01-03-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

I'm like wtf.

No headcount for promotion is their favourite excuse. But someone they like will miraculously promote.

Unregistered 01-03-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157346)
No headcount for promotion is their favourite excuse. But someone they like will miraculously promote.

One time, my boss tried to justify why xxx got promoted instead of yyy
But we all know xxx is boss pet.

So yyy confronted boss and ask why xxx is promoted when yyy is the lead and project lead for the project.

Boss say xxx have more EQ aka can talk more, bluff customer, etc. Which M1 need to have that ******** politics skill.

Boss say yyy very technical and can't ******** with customer will end up taking up alot of risk...

So yyy quit.

And told us what the boss told him.

So the team naturally just let xxx handle the project failure.
And since xxx is not the technical, only know how to talk...

End up the project alot of issue. We all know yyy did all the technical work...
But since he quit... Xxx can't handle.

So they hire a new E5.
The new E5 also quit within 1 year.

Long story short.
When your promotion only reward non tech person and only people who like to ********.
Your team will end up with alot of ******** people with zero skills.

Unregistered 01-03-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157348)
One time, my boss tried to justify why xxx got promoted instead of yyy
But we all know xxx is boss pet.

So yyy confronted boss and ask why xxx is promoted when yyy is the lead and project lead for the project.

Boss say xxx have more EQ aka can talk more, bluff customer, etc. Which M1 need to have that ******** politics skill.

Boss say yyy very technical and can't ******** with customer will end up taking up alot of risk...

So yyy quit.

And told us what the boss told him.

So the team naturally just let xxx handle the project failure.
And since xxx is not the technical, only know how to talk...

End up the project alot of issue. We all know yyy did all the technical work...
But since he quit... Xxx can't handle.

So they hire a new E5.
The new E5 also quit within 1 year.

Long story short.
When your promotion only reward non tech person and only people who like to ********.
Your team will end up with alot of ******** people with zero skills.

Cool story bro.
So any bonus this year?

Unregistered 01-03-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157350)
Cool story bro.
So any bonus this year?

Why not you ask your RO?

Unregistered 01-03-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157362)
Why not you ask your RO?

He already left in Jan when the reorg happened.
Kena forced out...

Unregistered 01-03-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157372)
He already left in Jan when the reorg happened.
Kena forced out...

Then you pray management see you worthy and give you a bonus to retain you lo.

Unregistered 02-03-2021 01:19 AM

Quote:

I'm like wtf.

you should just leave ST...ST is a home for retirement with no hope in engineering!

Unregistered 02-03-2021 07:55 AM

Any bonus?