Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 09-04-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83156)
100% bs. I have a uni friend FCH go join DSTA and after 5 years now already drawing 12k. Other than banks, private sector also cannot match.

he scholar ah??
so fast

Unregistered 09-04-2016 09:23 PM

most exp engineers in dsta are paid above 10k. those that are more specialize can even make up to 25k. why every1 keep thinking dsta cannot pay as good as banks?

Unregistered 09-04-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83195)
most exp engineers in dsta are paid above 10k. those that are more specialize can even make up to 25k. why every1 keep thinking dsta cannot pay as good as banks?

If you are not a scholar at most max out a ~20k which is just junior level VP for banks, so in terms of potential banks are still better.

Unregistered 10-04-2016 10:45 AM

This thread is getting more and more amusing.

There is this retard that keeps talking about NCS being better than ST when everyone is telling him that it is an illusion. The next page, same idiot comes in again and again.

Then there is this other idiot that keep parading how DSTA is the best. Nobody is putting DSTA down, but DSTA is certainly not the best. Merely above average. The reason why they pay so much is because its a Mindef organisation. Every claim made about DSTA can also be made about signing on with other SAF organisations. Do you know if you got FCH and you sign on, how much will you make?

The best and brightest engineers go other MNCs because they look at more than starting pay or even future pay. This is especially true in engineering, because real engineers value product creation and skill acquisition much more than money.

Unfortunately, there are so little real engineers now. Just look at this thread and you see so many non-engineers, but still have engineering degrees.

Unregistered 10-04-2016 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83195)

how many year do you consider "experience"

how much are those(non-scholar) with 7-10 years (With NS & 2nd lower to 1st class) getting in DSTA with average performance.

Basic pay how much?
Annual Salary inclusive all bonus how much?

Thanks

Unregistered 10-04-2016 11:56 AM

Every role has a max salary capped. this is the same every field anywhere. So if u are applying for the same position aka same role for example sw engineer. U will never hit a salary that is ridiculously high.

Imagine it takes a 10 yr exprience engineer asking for 8k applying the same position in other companies i am sure it will be hard. So what needs to be done to have higher pay is to go up to different roles. For us , sw engineers , we shld be thinking of sw engineer-> lead engineer => sw manager -> sw architech -> technical manager -> tecnical consultant. Or u move to another field project maagment. That is why ur pay can be considerable increase. So when u are working for 5 years, if u r working same position when u jump ship no doubt there will be much increment from ur last drawn but it will eventully hit a plataue ifu r still working as the same position.

So what i am saying pay increase comes when u seek higher roles in the company. The best engineer is still engineer if there is no business, u wunget paid not to say increment. Finding the business is exactly what engineers cant dothat why there are so many saf parachut down to st. for 1 reason, generate business. Give me 1 top engineer that could easily clinch a mindef project and that engineer is ready for more pay increment. i guess when we talk about performance. In anywhere, the best performer is not the best code u write , is the code that u write that generate best revenue for the company.

Unregistered 10-04-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83213)
This thread is getting more and more amusing.

There is this retard that keeps talking about NCS being better than ST when everyone is telling him that it is an illusion. The next page, same idiot comes in again and again.

Then there is this other idiot that keep parading how DSTA is the best. Nobody is putting DSTA down, but DSTA is certainly not the best. Merely above average. The reason why they pay so much is because its a Mindef organisation. Every claim made about DSTA can also be made about signing on with other SAF organisations. Do you know if you got FCH and you sign on, how much will you make?

The best and brightest engineers go other MNCs because they look at more than starting pay or even future pay. This is especially true in engineering, because real engineers value product creation and skill acquisition much more than money.

Unfortunately, there are so little real engineers now. Just look at this thread and you see so many non-engineers, but still have engineering degrees.

There is this retard + idiot that keep talking about how good MNC is. Must be someone woking in MNC and earn lesser money than DSTA engineer. SO he trying to persuade himself and others that creation and skill are more impt.

joke of the day, since u like creation and skill so much, go n request for 2k per month lah, gong jiao wei

Unregistered 10-04-2016 01:22 PM

I am sure than an engineer working in Amazon or Google would surely welcome a 2k pay.

And this is why DSTA always have only middling engineering graduates, who as someone else mentioned, are narrow in scope.

Unregistered 10-04-2016 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83228)
I am sure than an engineer working in Amazon or Google would surely welcome a 2k pay.

And this is why DSTA always have only middling engineering graduates, who as someone else mentioned, are narrow in scope.

haha, whatever. at the end of the day, those DSTA engineer make the cut and got in, earning way higher than u can liao

Unregistered 11-04-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83216)
how many year do you consider "experience"

how much are those(non-scholar) with 7-10 years (With NS & 2nd lower to 1st class) getting in DSTA with average performance.

Basic pay how much?
Annual Salary inclusive all bonus how much?

Thanks

usually should be able to get 11-12k for basic pay. bonus tends to be 7-8 mth on top. total somewhere ard 220k.

Unregistered 12-04-2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83228)

Do you know how much an engineer at Amazon or Google earns? Value creators are valued by their company. No reason to take a job that pays 2k unless it is a startup you are passionate about. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are a grunt in your MNC. No comment on DSTA.

Unregistered 12-04-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83354)
Do you know how much an engineer at Amazon or Google earns? Value creators are valued by their company. No reason to take a job that pays 2k unless it is a startup you are passionate about. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are a grunt in your MNC. No comment on DSTA.

Yar, surprise some jokers here really think a company like Google cannot pay 500k to a million to good engineers that they value and want to cut cost by hiring cheap labour @ 2k a month... Lol frog in the well & no sense of proportion.

Unregistered 17-05-2016 11:56 AM

Software Engineer - ST Electronics (Training & Simulation Systems)

Currently considering applying for software engineer job with the training and simulation systems subsidiary.

However, I am a business IT grad without solid foundation in maths, physics, algorithms, and 3D graphics. Those modules were not part of my degree programme, unlike computer science and computer engineering. I am proficient in programming though in any language.

Will I struggle as a software engineer if I am clueless/weak in those aspects in training and simulation systems projects. Any software engineer who has worked there before or is currently working there can advise/share?

Unregistered 24-05-2016 08:15 PM

R u sure DSTA engineer earn more 10k? i think only programme manager

Unregistered 24-05-2016 08:29 PM

why is there a need to compare ST electronics and DSTA? the answer is obvious.

Unregistered 06-06-2016 12:20 PM

ST electronics senior software engineer with 5 year experience can earn how much?

How much overtime needed?

Unregistered 06-06-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86675)
ST electronics senior software engineer with 5 year experience can earn how much?

How much overtime needed?

generally fresh degree grad from NUS/NTU start at approx 3k

first 3 years annual increment = 3%
3rd year addition promotion = +4%
another 2 years annual increment = 3%

I would say 3.6-3.7k

For executive, No OT Pay

Unregistered 06-06-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86677)
generally fresh degree grad from NUS/NTU start at approx 3k

first 3 years annual increment = 3%
3rd year addition promotion = +4%
another 2 years annual increment = 3%

I would say 3.6-3.7k

For executive, No OT Pay

So low? :eek: I thought the average salary of senior software engineer in Singapore is $60k per annum, about $5k per month?

Unregistered 06-06-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86681)
So low? :eek: I thought the average salary of senior software engineer in Singapore is $60k per annum, about $5k per month?

Join NCS better lah. At least its pay is in line with the IT job market.

Unregistered 06-06-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85635)
Currently considering applying for software engineer job with the training and simulation systems subsidiary.

However, I am a business IT grad without solid foundation in maths, physics, algorithms, and 3D graphics. Those modules were not part of my degree programme, unlike computer science and computer engineering. I am proficient in programming though in any language.

Will I struggle as a software engineer if I am clueless/weak in those aspects in training and simulation systems projects. Any software engineer who has worked there before or is currently working there can advise/share?

How comfortable are you with the following concepts: basic multithreading, difference between list and array, subclasses, public vs private vs protected, the need of a constructor and destructor, overriding methods, generics?

If you are comfortable with all of the above, I believe you can get a entry level software engineering job.

Unregistered 06-06-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86682)
Join NCS better lah. At least its pay is in line with the IT job market.

NCS pays ~8k for senior software programmer with 5+mths bonus.

Unregistered 09-06-2016 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86694)

MP or PM pay higher. people say apple, u say orange

Unregistered 09-06-2016 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86694)

Not true, I was offered only 5k

Unregistered 09-06-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86865)
Not true, I was offered only 5k

How many years of experience do you have and what's your job title? Different role different pay scale.

Unregistered 09-06-2016 09:30 PM

Since it is a GLC, does STE practise salary adjustment every few years if the salaries falls behind the market?

Unregistered 09-06-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86902)
Since it is a GLC, does STE practise salary adjustment every few years if the salaries falls behind the market?

STE follows private sector - normally 6-8% increase every year.

Unregistered 11-06-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86904)

This is surprising. I have been hearing 3% annual increments and zero salary adjustment. Which is the truth?

Unregistered 11-06-2016 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86963)
This is surprising. I have been hearing 3% annual increments and zero salary adjustment. Which is the truth?

3% is company average. It is dragged down because there are a lot of old dead wood get zero increment.

For a typical young executive who just join them will get much more than company average.

Unregistered 11-06-2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

SURE BO !?!? 6-8 % People remained ST for the sake of bonus

Please give accurate info

Unregistered 11-06-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86968)
3% is company average. It is dragged down because there are a lot of old dead wood get zero increment.

For a typical young executive who just join them will get much more than company average.

Zero increment? I thought at the very least they would adjust for inflation, which is usually somewhere between 3% to 4%.

Unregistered 11-06-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86978)
Zero increment? I thought at the very least they would adjust for inflation, which is usually somewhere between 3% to 4%.

There is no such thing as adjust for inflation. Anyway the long term inflation is more like 1-2%

Unregistered 11-06-2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86976)
SURE BO !?!? 6-8 % People remained ST for the sake of bonus

Please give accurate info

Bonus used to be main attraction like 5 years ago when they were going for 7-8 months and good performers could hit above 10. Now is no longer that high and more like 4-5 months.

Unregistered 11-06-2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

wait long long....

from my friend info,
C = 3 - 3.5%
B = 4%
A = 5%

Unregistered 12-06-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86988)
wait long long....

from my friend info,
C = 3 - 3.5%
B = 4%
A = 5%

This is for performance bonus or monthly wage adjustment/revision? Thought someone earlier said there is no wage adjustment?

Anyway, is the "no camera phone" rule still applicable? Now SAF already has green zones/red zones.

Unregistered 12-06-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86988)
wait long long....

from my friend info,
C = 3 - 3.5%
B = 4%
A = 5%

Cannot be lah. Last cycle I am C already get 4.8%.

Unregistered 12-06-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87014)
Cannot be lah. Last cycle I am C already get 4.8%.

From 1 of the business unit from ST since 2007.

all data from the guy quote make sense,
A,B,C, the annual increment is 3/4/5%...

Unregistered 13-06-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87019)
From 1 of the business unit from ST since 2007.

all data from the guy quote make sense,
A,B,C, the annual increment is 3/4/5%...

I think STE is very different depending on subsidiary. When I was in Kinetics increment tend to be 5+% which I heard is higher than Electronics. Then transferred to HQ and got 6+% but lower bonus. Marine used to pay best bonus, but now I heard drop to 4 months already.

Unregistered 13-06-2016 02:15 PM

how long do I need to wait for the call for job offer after second interview? Had second interview but did not inform me of any waiting time. Does that mean I have no chance?

Unregistered 13-06-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86978)

Comments like these hints to me that one should really be aware of the facts before they mention something like inflation. It's a common misconception that prices, in general, are always rising.

See: tradingeconomics.com/singapore/consumer-price-index-cpi

Those who familiar with today's market know that economies are trending to deflationary states.

This isn't an argument to say prices won't increase. But please know what the official statistics say before saying something broad like "adjust upward for inflation".

Unregistered 19-06-2016 11:02 PM

Anyone here know the starting salary for fresh grad joining ST Aerospace or ST Marine as an engineer according to respective honours?

1st Class = ??
2nd Upper = ??
2nd Lower = ??
Others = ??

The recent salary adjustment for Engineers in Public Sector applicable in ST Group? Since they are known as GLC dealing with mostly govt. project/work.

Referring to this:
://.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/better-salaries-for-fresh/2692082.html