Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 17-02-2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203320)
My case was, I was the only person with a certified skills in a certain area. Since there was no manager with this certification, my name was printed on documents as "XXXX Manager" even though I was only E5.

Customers are always puzzled at the fact that I am a manager but cannot make decisions. If only they realise for me, the word manager is with quotes.

This one not your title LA, this is just to print something on the document so the client think that someone senior is working on the project.

A lot place like that de ma, sell you on paper as a manager so they can charge the client more.

your title should be aligned with your rank.

Unregistered 17-02-2022 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203447)
If got those shld not be e5

Not very sure what's that. But I got a Dip, PMP, 8 years experience, was a PJE before being promoted to pjm and program manager for a US MNC, dealt with big names. Got approached by an agency and interviewed for the sake of gaining experience, had been interviewing people mostly so will be great to step into the shoes of a candidate. Was offered an E4 role. Didn't know what that was but I was told that was the best for me according to my qualifications so i guess should be a principal engineer or managerial role. The pay they offered was way lower than what I was getting. Pay wasn't the only reason why I didn't even consider, the negative interview experience was the main reason. Interviewer seems like he didn't know what's going on.

Unregistered 17-02-2022 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203461)
Not very sure what's that. But I got a Dip, PMP, 8 years experience, was a PJE before being promoted to pjm and program manager for a US MNC, dealt with big names. Got approached by an agency and interviewed for the sake of gaining experience, had been interviewing people mostly so will be great to step into the shoes of a candidate. Was offered an E4 role. Didn't know what that was but I was told that was the best for me according to my qualifications so i guess should be a principal engineer or managerial role. The pay they offered was way lower than what I was getting. Pay wasn't the only reason why I didn't even consider, the negative interview experience was the main reason. Interviewer seems like he didn't know what's going on.

Not really wor. St rank is e4 > E5 > E5.5 > E6 > m1 > m2

Princple engineer you mentioned is at least 4 to 5 rank away from what they offered you.

You worked so long, why dun just do a part time degree

Unregistered 17-02-2022 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203465)

Princple engineer you mentioned is at least 4 to 5 rank away from what they offered you.

Princple engineer is m2.

E5 is what they normally offered to fresh grad degree holder and the title is engineer, so e4 should be associate engineer nia

Unregistered 18-02-2022 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203467)
Princple engineer is m2.

E5 is what they normally offered to fresh grad degree holder and the title is engineer, so e4 should be associate engineer nia

Are you kidding me? I'm a program manager where I'm at now. I have a few project managers and engineers around the world reporting to me currently. That explains the staggering disparity in the pay they offered. (For better perspective: Project > program > portfolio) program managers usually require >8 years experience and good track record as PJM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203465)
Princple engineer you mentioned is at least 4 to 5 rank away from what they offered you

Thought about that when I started working but realised if I want to do well at where I am, I will need more than a degree. A degree is nonetheless a parameter to a bigger output. It is not the output and most certainly not the only consideration. I interview and hire people. I met some candidates who thinks the degree is the ultimate destination forgetting that he still needs to value add. You can tell when they answer you "because I have a degree" with the conventional why should I hire you sort of question. Not asking you to not take a degree, but don't treat the degree as the only key to opening doors. Overly obsessed with it that you forget to deliver. I look for integrity, good personality, perseverence, humility and hunger for knowledge. Projects cost to run and when milestones aren't met at defined timeframes, we lose money and sometimes even get into a possible lawsuit. We need to work with so many other functions and everyone has different concerns, budgeting, critical paths etc all come into the picture. In a nutshell, I got no time and money for freeloaders. You either deliver or you go, the degree isn't going to save you.

Unregistered 18-02-2022 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203474)
Are you kidding me? I'm a program manager where I'm at now. I have a few project managers and engineers around the world reporting to me currently. That explains the staggering disparity in the pay they offered. (For better perspective: Project > program > portfolio) program managers usually require >8 years experience and good track record as PJM.

Thought about that when I started working but realised if I want to do well at where I am, I will need more than a degree. A degree is nonetheless a parameter to a bigger output. It is not the output and most certainly not the only consideration. I interview and hire people. I met some candidates who thinks the degree is the ultimate destination forgetting that he still needs to value add. You can tell when they answer you "because I have a degree" with the conventional why should I hire you sort of question. Not asking you to not take a degree, but don't treat the degree as the only key to opening doors. Overly obsessed with it that you forget to deliver. I look for integrity, good personality, perseverence, humility and hunger for knowledge. Projects cost to run and when milestones aren't met at defined timeframes, we lose money and sometimes even get into a possible lawsuit. We need to work with so many other functions and everyone has different concerns, budgeting, critical paths etc all come into the picture. In a nutshell, I got no time and money for freeloaders. You either deliver or you go, the degree isn't going to save you.

Wah... do you have any interview tips like wat are the common questions and how i shld behave?

Unregistered 18-02-2022 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203479)
Wah... do you have any interview tips like wat are the common questions and how i shld behave?

Be yourself, don't try to please, interviewers can sense the desperation and it is a turn off.
Questions like:
Why do you want to leave your current job? (Looking for red flags)
Tell me about yourself (looking for areas you have that will value add to me; hard skills, be prepared to answer questions about your knowledge on the area interviewer is hiring for)
Why should we hire you? (Looking for personal values; soft skills)
What are your hobbies? (To see if you are a team player or not)

I think these are pretty standard. Keep your interview to 30 minutes. Don't ask unnecessary questions. Pay and work conditions can be negotiated with the HR when they are intending to offer.

Unregistered 18-02-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203450)
This one not your title LA, this is just to print something on the document so the client think that someone senior is working on the project.

A lot place like that de ma, sell you on paper as a manager so they can charge the client more.

your title should be aligned with your rank.

If you read carefully, I never say that my title is manager. I said manager with quote, which essentially is a fake manager.

If I am given the actual manager title, and given the corresponding pay, I wouldn't be posting my previous post here already.

What I am saying is, they can easily send an actual manager for the course. Even with certification I think it's one of the cheapest around. But no, they rather inflate titles and increase responsibility without promotion and measly increments.

When I left, my next company aligned my salary to the market rate and relevant experience and it was a 35% increment straight away. So for those who are really looking to learn and further your career, do consider not staying in ST for too long.

Unregistered 18-02-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203502)
If you read carefully, I never say that my title is manager. I said manager with quote, which essentially is a fake manager.

If I am given the actual manager title, and given the corresponding pay, I wouldn't be posting my previous post here already.

What I am saying is, they can easily send an actual manager for the course. Even with certification I think it's one of the cheapest around. But no, they rather inflate titles and increase responsibility without promotion and measly increments.

When I left, my next company aligned my salary to the market rate and relevant experience and it was a 35% increment straight away. So for those who are really looking to learn and further your career, do consider not staying in ST for too long.

How do you rate the self development experience between ST and your current role?

Unregistered 18-02-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203507)
How do you rate the self development experience between ST and your current role?

A lot more. I learnt more in the first year in my current role than during my almost 5 years in ST, especially in terms of soft skills.