Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 04-10-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146729)
why can't a local company have competent management that creates a strong base of talent, which is the requisite for countries and companies to advance

end of 2018 is the end of the good times in ST as many benefits are taken away for new joiners.

stock options, national day bonus and aws taken away from new joiners with no progression and no more stability since the last retrenchment exercise, no wonder younglings are not willing to stay

Unregistered 05-10-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146736)
end of 2018 is the end of the good times in ST as many benefits are taken away for new joiners.

stock options, national day bonus and aws taken away from new joiners with no progression and no more stability since the last retrenchment exercise, no wonder younglings are not willing to stay

Agreed with no progression. Alot of young engineers are condemned due to top heavy management structure. Lots of M4 and above are hogging on to their positions with little contribution to the company, mostly waiting for retirement. Some retired are even on contract based. Moreover, opportunities are often given to scholars, (Refer to their LinkedIn page), even harder for farmers to progress.

Unregistered 05-10-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146775)
Agreed with no progression. Alot of young engineers are condemned due to top heavy management structure. Lots of M4 and above are hogging on to their positions with little contribution to the company, mostly waiting for retirement. Some retired are even on contract based. Moreover, opportunities are often given to scholars, (Refer to their LinkedIn page), even harder for farmers to progress.

Don't talk about top heavy management structure. Even in engineering teams, many of the old timers (15-20 years in ST) are M2s and they make up bulk of the team. So say a team of 10 engineers, 3 M2s, 3 M1s, 1 E6 and 3 E5s. I can only wonder how long it will take the E5s to go E6 and E6 to go M1 when the M2s and M1s are stuck there.

Unregistered 05-10-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146736)

Don't forget to mention AWS and the almost non-existent pay increments.

Unregistered 05-10-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146729)
why can't a local company have competent management that creates a strong base of talent, which is the requisite for countries and companies to advance

When old timers are enjoying all the benefits and not budging and the new or converted staff who knew about their benefits are almost none but they are doing the same or even more work, most people will definitely leave for greener pastures.

It's easy to see. Those who joined as perm staff with all the benefits will definitely stay (way) longer than new perm staff without all the benefits.

Unregistered 05-10-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146794)
When old timers are enjoying all the benefits and not budging and the new or converted staff who knew about their benefits are almost none but they are doing the same or even more work, most people will definitely leave for greener pastures.

It's easy to see. Those who joined as perm staff with all the benefits will definitely stay (way) longer than new perm staff without all the benefits.

Grass always greener on the other side la.
My RO old timer perm staff M2. He say his increment every year is like 80 dollars that kind of figures. And he say he interview so many new candidate see their resume all asking pay 5k +++.

He feels his pay not even market rate. He say the pay is less cause got extra leave. stock etc. HR all calculate and factor this in... They don't give beneft + high pay.

He say new staff the pay high but less benefit. He ask me do I want extra 2 annual leave or extra 300 dollars?

Unregistered 05-10-2020 08:06 PM

Anyone know whats happening in ST Engineering as a whole? Is the retrenchment exercise over? I heard the situation in ST is not promising.

Unregistered 06-10-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146815)
Anyone know whats happening in ST Engineering as a whole? Is the retrenchment exercise over? I heard the situation in ST is not promising.

now the whole world in disarray. why u think ST engineering is safe? not promising? join another company. same issue and problem.
now everyone hunkering down. trying to keep their job.

Unregistered 08-10-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146893)
now the whole world in disarray. why u think ST engineering is safe? not promising? join another company. same issue and problem.
now everyone hunkering down. trying to keep their job.

Pay cut across the board until next year. No bonus.
If you have option outside better go. There is no prospect for 1 to 2 years to come

Unregistered 08-10-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147010)
If you have option outside better go. There is no prospect for 1 to 2 years to come

how much is the pay cut?

Unregistered 08-10-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147010)

Not sure about upcoming March 2021 bonus, pay cut is legit. Leave max bring forward 5 days from full year to 50% of leave to 5 days. LOL

Unregistered 09-10-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147013)
Not sure about upcoming March 2021 bonus, pay cut is legit. Leave max bring forward 5 days from full year to 50% of leave to 5 days. LOL

But everywhere else already have a capped on brought forward leave. I'm surprised ST didn't update their leave policy. No wonder the pay, leave and etc all so outdated.

Which also means ST Old timers all are spoiled la.
I've already changed job like 5 to 6 jobs. None of the company ever allow you to bring forward your entire leave until next year. (I mean 14 + 14 = 28) that's like your employee don't come to work for 1 whole month to clear leave.

Unregistered 09-10-2020 10:33 AM

normally old timer with 21days AL

is like 21(from2019) + 21(from2020) = 42

so in year 2020, they only use the 21days from 2019
and in year 2021, they only use the 21days from 2020....and so on...

so far never hear of people using all 42 at one go....unless the staff like to restart storing all the leave again, mean the following year he cannot use any leave and have to save up

Unregistered 09-10-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147041)
normally old timer with 21days AL

is like 21(from2019) + 21(from2020) = 42

so in year 2020, they only use the 21days from 2019
and in year 2021, they only use the 21days from 2020....and so on...

so far never hear of people using all 42 at one go....unless the staff like to restart storing all the leave again, mean the following year he cannot use any leave and have to save up

Got lo. My VP level boss. He almost every alternate years he will on leave Nov to Dec. 2 months no work.

Unregistered 09-10-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147013)

Is the pay cut real?
Some of my colleagues are arguing that the email says "Group Corporate". She say we are not considered group corporate cause we are outsource.

Another colleague of mine say "Group corporate" means the whole group Electronics, marine, etc... Instead of a specific company.

So now. We not sure....
Some of my other colleagues basically just say wait until Nov see the paycheck got cut or not lo.
Communication unclear.

Cut or no cut. Also make no difference. Not like we can protest.

thinkinghard 09-10-2020 07:42 PM

Speaking as past employee.

When i first join them, their HR try to lowball me by cutting my basic by 10%, this is after i lower my expected salary, anyway long story short, i still joined them after they withdraw the 10% cut.

i joined them as E6, being there for 3 years, i will say before the covid, they enjoy really good benefit, especially those old bird (at least 10+ years) every year definitely have 2 to 2 1/2 months bonus + national day bonus (600 to 1000, 1k is based on old bird saying they receive before) + lots of leave due to they stay there for so long (+1 day leave per year u stay after 5 years of services) + slacking life style + total 2-3 hours daily break (breakfast, lunch, teabreak) + pushing all sai kang or work they don like to newly joined staff, some even worst, delegate everything to newly joined staff, so their daily routine is come office talk cock sing song, bootlick bosses, take lots of break and go home.

Back to my E6 benefit, before they integrate bonus into basic.
1. Guarantee 2 months bonuses
2. National day bonus 600-800 per year (Based on what i had received)
3. Standard yearly increment of 3%
4. Stock option (Use 10% of your basic salary to buy company stock and company will topup 50% of what you contribute, e.g. $4000 per month, use $400 to purchase stock, company topup $200 for you)
5. Yearly 1 day department event + 1 day company wide dinner and dance
6. Good work life balance (Basically everyone switch off after 6pm, you can't find anyone after 6pm)
7. Unofficial slacking life as long you don offend any big bosses, and if your relationship with your direct boss is good, basically you can do whatever you want but provided you don get your boss into trouble.
8. Forgot about this, but lazy to rewrite the numbering, there is "AWS" integrate to our monthly salary, basic $4000 + 4k/12

Why i left after 3 years as E6.
1. The moment they announce they doing restructuring, integrate bonus into basic, removing stock option for newly hired staff and no prospect.
2. Being proactive might step on some of old bird toes, almost everyone to me have a age gap of 10-20 years.
3. As above, being push to do all their **** work
4. Take advantage of higher basic, so when change job i can request for higher basic, and i used previous year of 2 months bonus to get next company to take this into consideration, this become raised higher basic because some company don promise/guarantee 2 months bonus yearly
5. Too much uncertainties after the restructuring, a lot of old bird not happy, and some newly hired will sort of like getting pay cut. (no CPF contribution after 6k basic, but bonus have CPF contribution) this caused some unhappiness among some old bird and use newly hired to let off their steam.

Those old bird have enjoyed too much, now these happened to them, i bet they nv expect it, like what previous post have say, those leaves they bring forward the entire year, and basically they can go on leave for 2 months, even without bring over 1 year leave, i always see those old bird on leave for 1 months+, their leave are all above 21 days, if i remember correctly, 28 days leave is their cap. The old bird always boost or haolian, this wouldn't happen, that wouldn't happen, ST is iron rice bowl etc...now this situation gonna prove them wrong, they need to learn everyone need to work for it.

thinkinghard 09-10-2020 08:08 PM

forgot to add on this.

Basic salary will become basic $4k + AWS ($4k/12) + 1 month bonus ($4k/12), yearly bonus will reduce to 1 to 1 1/2 month (previous is 2 to 2 1/2 month) I will say, if **** work have not been pass to me, eventually become no value and pay restructuring did not happen, i might continue to stay there, because the lifestyle there is just too comfortable. The pay restructuring temptation is hard to resist too if you decide to change job :D e.g. $4000 + 4k/12 + 4k/12 + 12% to 15%, basically is like "free markup" because of 1 month bonus been integrate inside your basic.

For anyone that still interested to join ST, E6 ceiling salary should be around 6K after pay restructuring.

Unregistered 09-10-2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkinghard (Post 147068)
forgot to add on this.

Basic salary will become basic $4k + AWS ($4k/12) + 1 month bonus ($4k/12), yearly bonus will reduce to 1 to 1 1/2 month (previous is 2 to 2 1/2 month) I will say, if **** work have not been pass to me, eventually become no value and pay restructuring did not happen, i might continue to stay there, because the lifestyle there is just too comfortable. The pay restructuring temptation is hard to resist too if you decide to change job :D e.g. $4000 + 4k/12 + 4k/12 + 12% to 15%, basically is like "free markup" because of 1 month bonus been integrate inside your basic.

For anyone that still interested to join ST, E6 ceiling salary should be around 6K after pay restructuring.

How many years of experience and how much were you offered for E6 role?

thinkinghard 10-10-2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147074)
How many years of experience and how much were you offered for E6 role?

after restructuring is more than 5k, close to 9 years, this is one of the disadvantage for staying too long in 1 of my previous company

Unregistered 10-10-2020 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147051)
Is the pay cut real?
Some of my colleagues are arguing that the email says "Group Corporate". She say we are not considered group corporate cause we are outsource.

Another colleague of mine say "Group corporate" means the whole group Electronics, marine, etc... Instead of a specific company.

So now. We not sure....
Some of my other colleagues basically just say wait until Nov see the paycheck got cut or not lo.
Communication unclear.

Group corporate means Engineering people. Like basically ur hr, finance, procurement staff.
Pay cut only affects aero and corporate staff for now. Elect not affected.

Unregistered 10-10-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkinghard (Post 147083)
after restructuring is more than 5k, close to 9 years, this is one of the disadvantage for staying too long in 1 of my previous company

jokes on you. one of the new hire in my department E5 bragged that his 4.8k offer is too low compared to his peers during lunch.

while we seniors sit there appalled by his remarks and high pay.
Subsequently we all arrow him **** work. He eventually resigned this covid period.

New ppl dunno how to keep their pay confidential. kihnda dumb

Unregistered 10-10-2020 09:54 AM

After working in so many different places, I must say ST employees are the most political (office politics) colleagues I have encountered. Every other company it's either its customer driven or profit driven or time driven or feature driven or idea driven.

ST is political driven all because of their "rice-bowl".

thinkinghard 10-10-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147089)
jokes on you. one of the new hire in my department E5 bragged that his 4.8k offer is too low compared to his peers during lunch.

Subsequently we all arrow him **** work. He eventually resigned this covid period.

No choice, i stay in my previous company for too long, my salary is like 1K lower than my peer, because they roughly switch job around 2-3 years.

that is like a high end E5, anyway these kind of ppl just dumb, if wanna "brag" must say low salary not high, and definitely not the exact amount :p

Unregistered 10-10-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147089)

my time new staff 1st class with ns in 2007, only 3200/mth(old scheme), even if convert to new scheme at the point of time, only 3733, the 4.8k new scheme(assume 1st class) in 2020 is overkill

thinkinghard 10-10-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147112)
my time new staff 1st class with ns in 2007, only 3200/mth(old scheme), even if convert to new scheme at the point of time, only 3733, the 4.8k new scheme(assume 1st class) in 2020 is overkill

i think he say new hire but nv say fresh grad?

Unregistered 10-10-2020 06:38 PM

Heard that pay cut going on in ST. How much is the pay cut? Any idea?

Unregistered 11-10-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147051)
Is the pay cut real?

So now. We not sure....
Communication unclear.

Hi there group corporate is not like electronics marine etc. My boss confirmed. Electronics are not affected by paycut YET. Heard it is the people working at AMK Omega 1. Think example like corporate group marketing those type.

Unregistered 11-10-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147161)
Hi there group corporate is not like electronics marine etc. My boss confirmed. Electronics are not affected by paycut YET. Heard it is the people working at AMK Omega 1. Think example like corporate group marketing those type.

Group corporate here includes those that belong to STEMs. (You can check with your HR)
Which means there is still this minority in the Electronics group that is affected.

Unregistered 12-10-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147161)

Like this, then group corporate is actually do what one?

Unregistered 12-10-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147165)
Group corporate here includes those that belong to STEMs. (You can check with your HR)
Which means there is still this minority in the Electronics group that is affected.

Then can u say since I'm subcontract from jobline. And jobline never inform me of any pay cut. And I also didn't receive the group email. Can I safely assumed that my pay will remain as it is?

thinkinghard 12-10-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147187)
Like this, then group corporate is actually do what one?

i believe is all the internal cost centre e.g. hr, marketing, internal IT operation, finance, event organiser (or whatever it is call) etc

Unregistered 14-10-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147188)
Then can u say since I'm subcontract from jobline. And jobline never inform me of any pay cut. And I also didn't receive the group email. Can I safely assumed that my pay will remain as it is?

only for perm

Unregistered 14-10-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147308)
only for perm

How can like that. Perm staff pay cut but outsource no pay cut.
No wonder what people say is true that there is a dispararity between perm and outsource benefits.

Unregistered 14-10-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147310)
How can like that. Perm staff pay cut but outsource no pay cut.
No wonder what people say is true that there is a dispararity between perm and outsource benefits.

Perm staff no matter what has better benefits than outsourced staff.

Unregistered 14-10-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146812)
Grass always greener on the other side la.
My RO old timer perm staff M2. He say his increment every year is like 80 dollars that kind of figures. And he say he interview so many new candidate see their resume all asking pay 5k +++.

He feels his pay not even market rate. He say the pay is less cause got extra leave. stock etc. HR all calculate and factor this in... They don't give beneft + high pay.

He say new staff the pay high but less benefit. He ask me do I want extra 2 annual leave or extra 300 dollars?

No matter what the salary is still low balled. Even when they restructure the pay package according to "market rate", the rate only apply to new hires. For current staff, perm or outsourced, they just use the current pay and calculate using the new formula. No benchmark or anything.

Unregistered 14-10-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147323)
Perm staff no matter what has better benefits than outsourced staff.

How? Only 2-3 days more leave more than contract staff?

Outsource usually have higher salaries cause contract.

in this covid period, can see perm staff being asked to leave also. I feel that perm and contract staff is almost same now due to poor management.

As someone said, ST is no longer iron ricebowl

Unregistered 14-10-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147339)
How? Only 2-3 days more leave more than contract staff?

Outsource usually have higher salaries cause contract.

in this covid period, can see perm staff being asked to leave also. I feel that perm and contract staff is almost same now due to poor management.

As someone said, ST is no longer iron ricebowl

My RO perm staff M1 = 21 days annual leave. (5th year)
My outsource colleague E6 = 14 annual days. (recontract 3 times = 6 years)

Everytime, staff meeting we bring up this issue how come outsource recontract no extra annual leave... The answer management always give is that "we have checked with HR that outsource staff have been compensated with the lack of the extra leave. Aka if you are worth 200 dollars per day. Instead of getting 1 extra annual leave, u get extra 200."

but no matter how we compute or calculate... The figure doesn't match up.

thinkinghard 14-10-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147345)
My RO perm staff M1 = 21 days annual leave. (5th year)
My outsource colleague E6 = 14 annual days. (recontract 3 times = 6 years)

Everytime, staff meeting we bring up this issue how come outsource recontract no extra annual leave... The answer management always give is that "we have checked with HR that outsource staff have been compensated with the lack of the extra leave. Aka if you are worth 200 dollars per day. Instead of getting 1 extra annual leave, u get extra 200."

but no matter how we compute or calculate... The figure doesn't match up.

u believe their ********? :D even the so called restructuring to match the market rate is nv matching. Imagine the whole company is mostly old bird with more than 6K basic, by integrate 1 month bonus into it, company is saving CPF contribution on the bonus, from my perspective it will only benefit those that are leaving (indirectly getting higher basic)

Unregistered 14-10-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkinghard (Post 147348)
u believe their ********? :D even the so called restructuring to match the market rate is nv matching. Imagine the whole company is mostly old bird with more than 6K basic, by integrate 1 month bonus into it, company is saving CPF contribution on the bonus, from my perspective it will only benefit those that are leaving (indirectly getting higher basic)

I believe nothing is fair in this world. Although I'm not sure what is the benefit or having so called perm and then having outsources to do the work.

It's like Google having perm stafff but they outsource to Indian programmer to do the work? abit weird.

Unregistered 15-10-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147354)
I believe nothing is fair in this world. Although I'm not sure what is the benefit or having so called perm and then having outsources to do the work.

It's like Google having perm stafff but they outsource to Indian programmer to do the work? abit weird.

Actually it's more like Facebook hiring outsource staff around the world..