Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 10-03-2021 10:53 PM

After following this post for sometime, can some seniors enlighten me on the job prospects at info-security?

If there's any form of training provided on the job?

Graduating as a comp science student this year.

Many Thanks...

Unregistered 10-03-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158542)
After following this post for sometime, can some seniors enlighten me on the job prospects at info-security?

If there's any form of training provided on the job?

Graduating as a comp science student this year.

Many Thanks...

you better off start work at other company before u come ST retire :)

Unregistered 11-03-2021 01:25 AM

ST is the dumping ground aka last place you'll go. Hasnt been first choice for grads. Do your reading about them

Unregistered 11-03-2021 08:11 AM

I'm aware of other organisations program or plan to recruit... Or internship etc.

Somehow, even I worked in ST. I'm unaware of any initiative to recruit young blood...

Whenever conversations of fresh grad come up with management's.
It's usually...

Me: we need people with this specific skill sets to work on this project.
Management : so many? Can cut down just 1 or 2?
Me: the deadline very tight and the LD cost is high. Better we have some redundancy if only high 1 or 2 and they leave before the project due date.. It's very hard to retrain.
Management: how about 3? Hire 2 seniors 1 fresh grad as back up.
Me: we need 5 highly functional programmers. Can't afford to have a fresh grad. Learning curve is steep and time line is short..
Management : fresh grad cheaper..

In the end, I quit. From last I heard the management in charge of that prokect was promoted to head another business unit so he abandoned the project. A few others also left. So the new manager hired to clean up this mess actively hiring now. But it seems like they can't find people.

Oh what a surprise...

If you join ST. Be prepared to accept
1) low pay
2) no support or help from seniors
3) change of management every 1 or 2 years when their kpi already fulfilled
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.
7) even learn liao only can be used in ST, can't transfer to other...

I suggest you Google those big name player in cyberscruity and join them instead. Then got the experience, skillet then only come to ST to retire.

ST is not pioneer in cybersecurity...

Everyone doing cyber security, senior management set direction want to setup cyber security division.. But existing staff all don't have this skill. Just hire outsource to fill the gap.

That's how ST works. Really a retirement village

Unregistered 11-03-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158582)
I'm aware of other organisations program or plan to recruit... Or internship etc.

Somehow, even I worked in ST. I'm unaware of any initiative to recruit young blood...

It's usually...

Me: the deadline very tight and the LD cost is high. Better we have some redundancy if only high 1 or 2 and they leave before the project due date.. It's very hard to retrain.
Me: we need 5 highly functional programmers. Can't afford to have a fresh grad. Learning curve is steep and time line is short..

In the end, I quit. From last I heard the management in charge of that prokect was promoted to head another business unit so he abandoned the project. A few others also left. So the new manager hired to clean up this mess actively hiring now. But it seems like they can't find people.

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

I suggest you Google those big name player in cyberscruity and join them instead. Then got the experience, skillet then only come to ST to retire.

Everyone doing cyber security, senior management set direction want to setup cyber security division.. But existing staff all don't have this skill. Just hire outsource to fill the gap.

totally agree...a old people old mindset retirement village...

Unregistered 11-03-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

It's usually...

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

Wow I did not thought of this. Many Thanks to you all seniors. Guess I'll look for other companies instead.

Unregistered 11-03-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

It's usually...

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

Many thanks for the insight view. Definitely will try other places.

Unregistered 11-03-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158588)
totally agree...a old people old mindset retirement village...

Not all divisions or business units are the same la.
When people think of ST Engineering, they just think of defence work...

Got mrt got bus got research lab...
The retirement sentiment maybe true in the defence side but other sides still have exciting and real world and fun challenges..

Unregistered 11-03-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

It's usually...

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

Wise words. Never begin your career in ST. I did and am paying the price now. Pay way behind my peers and finding it difficult to move.

Unregistered 11-03-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158604)
Wise words. Never begin your career in ST. I did and am paying the price now. Pay way behind my peers and finding it difficult to move.

Not true... I have colleagues who can transfer across ST.
Anything quit jojn another division. Then that division cmi quit join another...

Cause the ST culture you can work in ST.

And they know you can take hardship so will rehire..
New people come in very hard to fit in the ST culture.

Once see the world cannot fit in.
If never seen the world, can accept. Like ns duty.

But leave also most will come back to the safety.
Join ST