Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   MAS for Mid Career Professionals (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/2119-monetary-authority-singapore-mid-career-professionals.html)

Unregistered 13-04-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132093)
What about Goldman Ops vs MAS?

I second the above poster. Ops is highly at risk of being outsourced to low cost countries or/and automated. You can always rise up the ranks in Ops but the question is whether there is time to do that before it is outsourced from Singapore. Unless you are ok with working overseas, since if you can perform they may want you to manage teams in lower cost countries.

Unregistered 13-04-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132186)
I second the above poster. Ops is highly at risk of being outsourced to low cost countries or/and automated. You can always rise up the ranks in Ops but the question is whether there is time to do that before it is outsourced from Singapore. Unless you are ok with working overseas, since if you can perform they may want you to manage teams in lower cost countries.

But from what I've heard, Goldman Ops is moving its APAC Ops to the Singapore HQ. So for now it seems to be moving in opposite direction to other banks?

Unregistered 14-04-2020 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132155)
Goldman got IMDB scandal. If can, go JPM.

MAS is safe, prestigious. More exit opportunities.

Ops is a dead end career. No progression and easily replaced by automation

Safe? Yes.
Prestigious? Maybe I guess.
Exit opportunities? Probably if you’re doing licensing or compliance for challenger banks.

An ops role with a bulge bracket is never a dead end career and is miles better than working with MAS unless you’re in MTI’s Economist track.

Do you even know what ops encompasses? KYC, equity sales, debt issuance and etc. will forever be industry relevant skills in the finance sector.

Unregistered 14-04-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132206)
Safe? Yes.
Prestigious? Maybe I guess.
Exit opportunities? Probably if you’re doing licensing or compliance for challenger banks.

An ops role with a bulge bracket is never a dead end career and is miles better than working with MAS unless you’re in MTI’s Economist track.

Do you even know what ops encompasses? KYC, equity sales, debt issuance and etc. will forever be industry relevant skills in the finance sector.

I did my internship in JP Morgan ops back in 2016. KYC? Will be automated. Equity sales? You kidding bro? You do know you aren't actually doing the sales. Stop lying to yourself. You're just double checking credit limits, executing the trade and consolidating reports.

Ops is back end and will be offshored from Singapore. it will be dead end in 5-10 years time.

In terms of prestige, both are prestigious enough. MAS, if supervision role, probably can jump to compliance roles? If policy dept, can progress further. Maybe end up in politics.

Anyhoo, both seem like back office roles to me so just flip a coin and move on.

Unregistered 14-04-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132235)
I did my internship in JP Morgan ops back in 2016. KYC? Will be automated. Equity sales? You kidding bro? You do know you aren't actually doing the sales. Stop lying to yourself. You're just double checking credit limits, executing the trade and consolidating reports.

Ops is back end and will be offshored from Singapore. it will be dead end in 5-10 years time.

In terms of prestige, both are prestigious enough. MAS, if supervision role, probably can jump to compliance roles? If policy dept, can progress further. Maybe end up in politics.

Ops analysts are continuously evolving. I assure you, within the span of 10 years, bulge bracket ops will continue to exist.

Yes, menial tasking such as data pulling and fact-checking will be automated. But you still need these back office chaps to facilitate a client's trading systems to make sure they're properly plugged into the platform, or negotiating with the client's finance team to make sure they understand the kind of pricing the team can offer.

I’ll give it to you, any quant buy-side hardo role will better than ops but we’re comparing working in BB Ops vs a MAS pencil pusher and honestly, the former clearly has better career trajectory.

Unregistered 18-04-2020 01:09 AM

MAS Career switch

Hi all , to those that have worked in MAS, in need of your advise. i am getting around 12k now working in a bank. Is it wise to make a switch to MAS ? Are they able to pay the amount of salary i am having now or even more than that ? Thanks in advance.

Unregistered 20-04-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132235)

IMO front office middle office or back office is not that important. Job satisfaction is not just determined by whether you do sales or ops or controls. You can have as much fun doing risk models, stress testing, or checking whistleblowing cases as compared to trading, doing sales, or visiting clients as an RM. It depends on what you enjoy doing.

But do bear in mind that most people's careers are determined by what they start doing. Somebody in Ops can transition to sales but it's not easy. Someone doing Ops generally will stay in Ops for long term.

Hence, it is important to consider the long-term aspects of the role. Automation does not just affect Ops, it affects trading as much. So other than job satisfaction, do think long term whether the job will still be around in the future. Be it outsourcing or automation.

Unregistered 26-04-2020 11:47 PM

Hi everyone, has anyone received an offer for the graduate officer position? I went for the interview in March but haven't heard back since.

Unregistered 27-04-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132830)
Hi everyone, has anyone received an offer for the graduate officer position? I went for the interview in March but haven't heard back since.

same here. interview was late feb.

Unregistered 29-04-2020 02:55 PM

if you have not received an offer for the Graduate office position then most likely you've been rejected... most offers were already sent out 2 months ago.