Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   SLA (Singapore Land Authority) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/2099-sla-singapore-land-authority.html)

datou 25-07-2012 11:15 AM

SLA (Singapore Land Authority)

Anyone knows how is it working in SLA? The work culture and staff there and the career progression?

thanks!

lmaohaha 25-07-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datou (Post 26999)
Anyone knows how is it working in SLA? The work culture and staff there and the career progression?

thanks!

realised you keep asking the same qns lol.y not u apply first, get an interview and ask the hr personnel there. they will prob give u a better and more credible ans

Unregistered 25-07-2012 02:02 PM

job culture depend on boss, not which stat board

why dont you try to at least get an offer first before keep repeating same question for different gov departnemnt?

you make it sound like ur some hot potato that is spoilt for choice cauz the whole public sector is trying to hire you

Unregistered 25-07-2012 06:39 PM

fwah he ask question only also tio flamed. Afterall who doesn't want a good job? Ask yourselves why you all visit this forum? To ask questions and know more right? People also want to see if anybody works/has worked there so can try to understand better ma.

lmaohaha 26-07-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27016)
fwah he ask question only also tio flamed. Afterall who doesn't want a good job? Ask yourselves why you all visit this forum? To ask questions and know more right? People also want to see if anybody works/has worked there so can try to understand better ma.

nope im not flaming him.but in the context of a forum where it is a free-for-all discussion, i feel its wiser to ask the hr during an interview.any 10 year old kid could have posted a comment here. do u want ur perception of a career's prospect to be skewed by someone like that?

Unregistered 26-07-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmaohaha (Post 27039)
nope im not flaming him.but in the context of a forum where it is a free-for-all discussion, i feel its wiser to ask the hr during an interview.any 10 year old kid could have posted a comment here. do u want ur perception of a career's prospect to be skewed by someone like that?

bad advice.

at least in a forum there is mix of good & bad post. asking HR is guaranteed poor answer, there is conflict of interest as they are representing the org. to "sell" the job.

that is like asking a salesman is the product he is selling good. what you expect hr to say, that yea the culture sux and ur boss is difficult to work with and btw please sign the offer letter?

Unregistered 26-07-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27041)
bad advice.

at least in a forum there is mix of good & bad post. asking HR is guaranteed poor answer, there is conflict of interest as they are representing the org. to "sell" the job.

that is like asking a salesman is the product he is selling good. what you expect hr to say, that yea the culture sux and ur boss is difficult to work with and btw please sign the offer letter?

quote for truth. In a forum ppl give their personal opinions. HR will definitely lose their job if they tell u their honest answer - Dun join my company, it's horrible!

Unregistered 26-07-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmaohaha (Post 27039)

Ask the HR, no way. They will not tell us the salary/package/benefit unless they offer you the job....

lmaohaha 26-07-2012 02:27 PM

anyway my honest ans to ts qn, work culture and staff = subjective, varies from department to department, nth to do wif organisation, staff= heng suay, u meet one colleague whos out to make life difficult for u or a boss who not happy wif u from day one, all work performance gets thrown out of the window. career progression= scholar grooming place, as it is for most stat boards. so i suggest ts might wanna look more into other tangible factors like passion, interest, personality fit to job etc.

poor and stupid 26-07-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datou (Post 26999)

thanks!

Seriously dude, its impossible to answer. How i know what you like or dun like. I sit here and spam forums whole day while getting $$ some people like, other may hate it. Most important is just follow the wind. If you social phobic then get a job which you have friends working in the same department, or better yet, share desk lol

Unregistered 26-07-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 27052)
Seriously dude, its impossible to answer. How i know what you like or dun like. I sit here and spam forums whole day while getting $$ some people like, other may hate it. Most important is just follow the wind. If you social phobic then get a job which you have friends working in the same department, or better yet, share desk lol

who is paying you to spam forums, may i ask?

icy water 27-07-2012 02:14 AM

in general, i heard the public service working culture is okay. confirm less politics than private sector. not everyone will go back at 530 or 6pm though.

I went for interview at SLA 2 weeks ago. HR commented that they are in need of people. They just reposted their vacancies again on careers@gov. Anyway, the interview will be an essay question done on a windows 98/95 laptop (what the heck...) followed by interview with 7 deputy directors or head of dept. Be prepared to consider the different vacancies available besides the one you applied for. I got rejected though... haha.

Unregistered 27-07-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icy water (Post 27074)
confirm less politics than private sector.

this statement is just so wrong. and you confirm this based on what?

seems like from your other thread you are either a fresh grad or someone who has only worked at a very junior level...

Unregistered 27-07-2012 12:00 PM

in some public sector organizations, the politics can be quite bad because the people are simply too free.

in private sector, people are busy meeting deadlines and only play the blame game when things go wrong, otherwise they may even collaborate to reach win-win objectives.

Unregistered 27-07-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

in general, i heard the public service working culture is okay. confirm less politics than private sector. not everyone will go back at 530 or 6pm though.

I went for interview at SLA 2 weeks ago. HR commented that they are in need of people. They just reposted their vacancies again on careers@gov. Anyway, the interview will be an essay question done on a windows 98/95 laptop (what the heck...) followed by interview with 7 deputy directors or head of dept. Be prepared to consider the different vacancies available besides the one you applied for. I got rejected though... haha.

finally got ppl answer to the question liao. Seems like it's not easy to get in despite them in need of ppl and can still be choosy at the same time. Anw jiayou in your jobsearch!

The rest who only know how to kpkb, wait till you all need ppls's advice and others kpkb back. Then u all know what's karma!

Unregistered 27-07-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

what essay question they ask? can reveal the question so that we can prepare in advance?

Unregistered 27-07-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27089)
finally got ppl answer to the question liao. Seems like it's not easy to get in despite them in need of ppl and can still be choosy at the same time. Anw jiayou in your jobsearch!

The rest who only know how to kpkb, wait till you all need ppls's advice and others kpkb back. Then u all know what's karma!

yea u got an answer from someone who make some generic statement base on hearsay, as useless as kbkb post

Unregistered 27-07-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27093)
yea u got an answer from someone who make some generic statement base on hearsay, as useless as kbkb post

in case u missed out, he/she did mention that he/she went for an interview at SLA 2 weeks ago.

Unregistered 27-07-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27093)

seems like u not only kpkb, angmo also not very the powderful wor

Unregistered 27-07-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27106)
in case u missed out, he/she did mention that he/she went for an interview at SLA 2 weeks ago.

in case u missed out, all he said abt SLA was they needed people.

the rest is a generic statement about public sector culture is OK, less politics, not everyone can go back on time

Unregistered 27-07-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27112)
in case u missed out, all he said abt SLA was they needed people.

the rest is a generic statement about public sector culture is OK, less politics, not everyone can go back on time

in case u missed out again, re-read that part where he/she said that she used a laptop and the part where he/she was interviewed by 7 deputy directors or HODs. You call these hearsay I call them the real deal.

icy water 27-07-2012 11:38 PM

Just to clarify, I am a fresh grad who REALLY went for interview at SLA.

As for the comment about politics, i heard it from friends who are already working in the civil/public sector. They come from HDB, IRAS, MOH, NEA, LTA to name a few. They have been working for at least 1-3 years. If you still don't believe then there's nothing I can do. :)

Unregistered 27-07-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27115)
in case u missed out again, re-read that part where he/she said that she used a laptop and the part where he/she was interviewed by 7 deputy directors or HODs. You call these hearsay I call them the real deal.

in case u missed out again, the thread question is about work culture, staff & career progression. what has laptop and getting interviewed by 7 ppl got to do with this? its just standard panel interview procedure that apply to most civil service / stat board

icy water 27-07-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27092)
what essay question they ask? can reveal the question so that we can prepare in advance?

its a generic question like why you would prefer a particular position over others. Might want to look at their organisation chart for the different departments in SLA. some agencies would have that too to test your ability to write if the position requires. They SHOULD have other questions too so just take this for reference and not only just prepare for this.

Unregistered 27-07-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icy water (Post 27130)
Just to clarify, I am a fresh grad who REALLY went for interview at SLA.

As for the comment about politics, i heard it from friends who are already working in the civil/public sector. They come from HDB, IRAS, MOH, NEA, LTA to name a few. They have been working for at least 1-3 years. If you still don't believe then there's nothing I can do. :)

even if i give u benefit of doubt, 2 problem with your friends exp:

1) they are all very junior in position, only minority are able to figure out the politics that early. most will blur blur for quite some time & make a few mistakes here & there b4 figuring out whats going on

2) since they all just left school not long, they are likely to be only in 1st job within public sector, w/o exp in pte sector to compare on what basis do they say politics is lesser? and on what basis then do you from these relatively inexp comments confirm that politics is lesser?

like someone earlier mention, politics in some stat boards can be even harsher & more complicated then pte sector.

icy water 29-07-2012 03:35 AM

well, i agree that my friends may not be experienced enough but it certainly wasnt the first job for some of them.

good that someone pointed out it may be harsher in certain stat boards. i am learning more from friends and forums too. perhaps it might be better to find out more from the civil service thread.

for those posting useless comments, you may have lots of experience but that was certainly childish. :p

Unregistered 25-08-2012 08:55 PM

Hi Icy water , may i know what's the essay question that they set ?

icy water 26-08-2012 01:14 AM

refer to post #24

anyway the question given to me was something like this:
SLA has various departments such as business operations, planning and policy, finance and so on and so forth... Rank in order of your preference and explain your ranking. (500 words)

Hope it helps. As I mentioned earlier, they may have other questions so don't take it as standard question. May helps others in future if you can kindly post the question they gave you after your interview.

Also, remember that first round is a panel interview (around 7 people excluding HR). So do consider other positions as they have quite a few number of vacancies.

Unregistered 31-12-2014 01:58 PM

How much do they pay for fresh grad holding 2nd lower hons?

Unregistered 13-11-2015 11:50 PM

Bump

Unregistered 15-04-2019 03:14 PM

anyone tried applying? them seem to be replying really fast..

Unregistered 16-04-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75114)

2.6k+. It is bad. Don't go.

Unregistered 21-08-2021 09:37 PM

Interview at SLA

Hi anyone when for interview recently? For the senior executive conveyancing position? Any news?

Unregistered 20-01-2022 11:14 PM

Senior Executive Conveyancing position-

Very slow career advancement.

When you first join Land Titles Registry as "Senior Executive'' , are you on same level as other Senior Executives in other departments?

You look at those supervisors in Land Titles Registry.

They are already 40s to 60 years old, holding the titles "Head, Managers''

Those people joined Registry of Land Titles as Conveyancing Officers Grade 5 ,after their A Levels.

Then work their way up to current position.

I knew them very well

One of them is so called" Head/ Asst Registrar of Titles" , joined in 1980s as Div 3 staff, after her A Levels. Is her A Levels good enough ? No

Head / Asst Registrar of Titles is nothing impressive.. Just a equivalent to Chief Warrant Officer.

Those so called '' Managers'', 'Asst Managers'' ..
They don't have very good university degrees.
One of them got only lousy degree from Indian university not recognised by Singapore Public Service.
She joined as Conveyancing Officer Grade 3 (actually Snr Div 3 post) in 1990s

Now , how old is she?

50s, still hold ''managerial post''

Being a junior supervisor post like Warrant Officer, at 50 year old. Nothing to be proud about.

When you first joined Land Titles Registry as ''Snr Executive'' . you have to focus on long term On the Job Training, where you learn how to do conveyancing work.
After few years, you will be sent to another section where you learn.

After few job rotations, spanning 15 years , you will be considered for promotion to Asst Manager..

If you are deemed to be learned and experienced, you will promoted to Manager at age of late forty, then you train new staff to do conveyancing work.

My female friend work there at age 24 , now she is "Head'' at 45 year old..

Do you feel proud?

Nothing to be proud about.

When you have very good professional degree, you don't work there . You will be post to better department (Finance, IT, HR,Legal, etc) where your career advancement is better

If you have LLB (Hons) degree from recognised university, you will be part of management team in Land Titles Registry, very much superior to those still learning how to do conveyancing work. You will be overseeing those old supervisors (trainers)

Do you know current Registrar of Titles? when he first joined Registry of Titles at the age of 27, after graduating with LLB (Hons ) . Now , he is Asst Chief EXecutive at the age of 52..
Very impressive right?

Unregistered 06-12-2022 11:13 AM

yes, promotion normally reserved for scholars, if you are not a scholar be prepared to wait & wait & wait.....& wait