DSTA (under Mindef) - Page 106 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

DSTA (under Mindef)

Old 02-12-2021, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I just joined C3D this year, starting pay 4.3k and bumped to 5k upon getting degree. So far the work is okay la, minimal office politics but also depends on your team. If you want to chiong and have the aptitude I would suggest looking at private companies like shopee / lazada.

Another thing that I've heard (not verified) is that govtech pays slightly better than DSTA due to the way they structure their salary grades. If you come to DSTA as a software engineer, your title is still "Engineer" and you will be paid the same salary grade as all the other engineers. Whereas in govtech, since all their engineers are doing IT, their salary grade has a higher base pay. Again, this is not verified.
Hmmm for software engineer its pretty lowballed right? Other than basic + bonus, are there any other monthly allowance for engineer role? Figured have to take taxi to go to work since dsta quite ulu

Old 02-12-2021, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Does anyone knows if dsta have additional monthly allowance?
$4800 yearly allowance. Also heard that DSTA pay for fresh grad at least 5k for guys

Old 03-12-2021, 08:20 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
$4800 yearly allowance. Also heard that DSTA pay for fresh grad at least 5k for guys
Woah 4800 per year that's on the high side I supposed? How does the allowance work though? Cash bonus or through claims haha

Old 03-12-2021, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Woah 4800 per year that's on the high side I supposed? How does the allowance work though? Cash bonus or through claims haha
If I'm not wrong, it will be credited monthly (400sgd) into your bank account
Old 04-12-2021, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Default Inequalities Rant

Hi, I wld just like to rant abt some inequalities I feel there are at DSTA, and please share with me if anyone has views on this.

1. Pay differentiation with class of honours
Some people have high GPAs that are above 4.5 but did not take up FYPs, and are thus given only second uppers pay. And even though DSTA is always quoted to give high pay according to glassdoor reviews, it seems like the base pay is only ~4.9k to 5k for second uppers, which is WAY lower than mean/median pay for some degrees like those in computing according to GES 2020. I think we definitely deserve higher pay.

2. Gender differentiation
There are many guys at DSTA and the male-to-female proportion seems high. The guys get additional pay for NS, which is reasonable, but also 'unreasonable' in a sense when we compare to other companies in the private sector. Guys working in the private sector may not get such additional monthly pay just because they went to NS for 2 years, so why this difference in DSTA? I feel that females would not have to suffer from this 'unfair pay difference' if they had worked in the private sector instead

Also, the higher-ups tend to be male-dominated, so females may not see a future in career progression here.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I wld just like to rant abt some inequalities I feel there are at DSTA, and please share with me if anyone has views on this.

Some people have high GPAs that are above 4.5 but did not take up FYPs, and are thus given only second uppers pay. And even though DSTA is always quoted to give high pay according to glassdoor reviews, it seems like the base pay is only ~4.9k to 5k for second uppers, which is WAY lower than mean/median pay for some degrees like those in computing according to GES 2020. I think we definitely deserve higher pay.

There are many guys at DSTA and the male-to-female proportion seems high. The guys get additional pay for NS, which is reasonable, but also 'unreasonable' in a sense when we compare to other companies in the private sector. Guys working in the private sector may not get such additional monthly pay just because they went to NS for 2 years, so why this difference in DSTA? I feel that females would not have to suffer from this 'unfair pay difference' if they had worked in the private sector instead

Also, the higher-ups tend to be male-dominated, so females may not see a future in career progression here.
Retirement age for males and females are the same. Assuming a male and female doing a 4 year degree program, a male start work at 25 years old because of 2 years of NS. The female who don’t have to do NS start work at 23 years old. If both retire at 65 years old, the female would have earned 42 years of salary compared with the male who would only earned 40years. Assuming both earn $5k, the 2 years extra the female earned would be $120k excluding bonuses.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Every time i see a "i deserve more pay" thingy, i'm thinking anyone force you to take it?
Old 04-12-2021, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Wake up your idea pls.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Both males and females retire at the same age. Assuming a male and female Dona 4 year degree program, the male start work at 25 years old because of 2 years of NS and the female start work at 23 years old. If they both retire at 65, the male would have earned only 40years of salary and the female would have earned 42 years of salary. Is it then fair for the males to earn 2 years lesser worth of salary?

This is not to mention some males in NS are exposed to higher risks of physical injuries and deaths because of the nature of their vocations?
Old 04-12-2021, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Both males and females retire at the same age. Assuming a male and female do a 4year degree program, the male starts work at 25 years old because of NS and the female starts at 23 years old. If both retire at 65, the male would have earned only 40years of salary while the female would have made 42 years of salary. I feel the male would not have to suffer from this ‘unfair earning capacity’ if they did not have to serve NS. But do they have the choice not to serve NS?

This is not to mention that some males are exposed to higher risks of physical injuries and deaths due to their vocations in NS.