DSTA (under Mindef) - Page 99 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.




DSTA (under Mindef)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #981 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2021, 12:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is there a DSTA that is not under Mindef, wondering why the thread title changed

Reply With Quote
  #982 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2021, 07:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Stay far far away from this place.

Mismanagement is insane here and people are resigning all the time.

There is a price to pay for the high salary, and sooner or later you'll burn out from this soul sucking job.

Reply With Quote
  #983 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2021, 08:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stay far far away from this place.

Mismanagement is insane here and people are resigning all the time.

There is a price to pay for the high salary, and sooner or later you'll burn out from this soul sucking job.
Turnover quite low leh, unless you referring to procurement

Reply With Quote
  #984 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2021, 11:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Turnover quite low leh, unless you referring to procurement
yeah engineer turnover is low. But given the pay commanded by dsta engineers, i think also difficult for most to let go of the golden handcuffs, so can tahan a bit

hahaha, procurement on the other hand, can only say they really deserve a lot better for what they have to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #985 (permalink)  
Old 31-07-2021, 04:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yeah engineer turnover is low. But given the pay commanded by dsta engineers, i think also difficult for most to let go of the golden handcuffs, so can tahan a bit

hahaha, procurement on the other hand, can only say they really deserve a lot better for what they have to deal with.
Procurement with DSTA experience,if they quit,other ministries will grab them. They are an asset.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #986 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2021, 01:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Procurement with DSTA experience,if they quit,other ministries will grab them. They are an asset.
Doesn't seem like DSTA treats procurement as an asset though if the horror stories are true.

No wonder procurement people are leaving DSTA all the time then, especially when other ministries are eager to offer them better opportunities.
Reply With Quote

  #987 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2021, 01:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One thing that people overlook here is that DSTA is a defence procurement agency first and foremost,even though they market themselves as a tech organisation. It even says so in their website that they are the central procurement agency for MINDEF and SAF. So the engineer's role will primarily be project management and managing suppliers for defence acquisition.

And if you're thinking to join as an engineer,don't think that procurement's problems won't affect you,because you will need to work with procurement staff to buy services and equipment for your project. Then you will understand how the understaffing and high turnover problems in the procurement department affects projects,and there's really nothing that you can do to avoid it.

You want to do technical research and R&D for military stuff? DSO is the place to go, not DSTA.
Reply With Quote
  #988 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2021, 06:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One thing that people overlook here is that DSTA is a defence procurement agency first and foremost,even though they market themselves as a tech organisation. It even says so in their website that they are the central procurement agency for MINDEF and SAF. So the engineer's role will primarily be project management and managing suppliers for defence acquisition.

And if you're thinking to join as an engineer,don't think that procurement's problems won't affect you,because you will need to work with procurement staff to buy services and equipment for your project. Then you will understand how the understaffing and high turnover problems in the procurement department affects projects,and there's really nothing that you can do to avoid it.

You want to do technical research and R&D for military stuff? DSO is the place to go, not DSTA.
DSO much more difficult to enter than DSTA, many DSO rejects end up at DSTA
Reply With Quote
  #989 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
DSO much more difficult to enter than DSTA, many DSO rejects end up at DSTA
Yes that is also true.

The key takeaway to be highlighted is that if you want to do technical work, please do not think that DSTA can offer a similar career experience as DSO. Both organizations have different responsibilities to fulfill and hence will not offer similar roles. You will likely become jaded and quit for somewhere else in a few years if you find that you dislike doing government project management.
Reply With Quote
  #990 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2021, 05:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes that is also true.

The key takeaway to be highlighted is that if you want to do technical work, please do not think that DSTA can offer a similar career experience as DSO. Both organizations have different responsibilities to fulfill and hence will not offer similar roles. You will likely become jaded and quit for somewhere else in a few years if you find that you dislike doing government project management.
And to add on, you will likely have to take a paycut when you quit
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) lyndonmaxewell Income and Jobs 5508 Yesterday 08:04 PM
MINDEF enlistment inspector sickandtired Income and Jobs 2 18-01-2020 10:22 AM
MINDEF DXO - Executive (NS Relations & Engagement) Rebecca Income and Jobs 8 03-12-2013 05:20 PM
Higher starting salaries for MINDEF and SAF entrants Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 06-04-2012 07:31 AM
MINDEF and SAF Sign-On Bonuses Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 16-08-2009 03:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,167 Replies, 9,304,587 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,457 Replies, 1,091,630 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,701 Replies, 3,343,726 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
882 Replies, 411,600 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,143 Replies, 2,891,438 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,588 Replies, 871,925 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,850 Replies, 4,167,153 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,871 Replies, 11,555,900 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,277 Replies, 987,782 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,140 Replies, 1,674,306 Views
OKX SuperNova Graduate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
78 Replies, 51,062 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
272 Replies, 307,770 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,508 Replies, 4,178,085 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,646 Replies, 4,197,553 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
600 Replies, 430,392 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,370 Replies, 5,665,083 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,873 Replies, 2,708,832 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,573 Replies, 1,930,796 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
225 Replies, 227,620 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,449 Replies, 1,303,102 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
368 Replies, 648,286 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
474 Replies, 272,209 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,102 Replies, 554,140 Views
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 19,266 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
72 Replies, 150,605 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 190,603 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
402 Replies, 193,612 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
389 Replies, 419,967 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
491 Replies, 227,299 Views
how to earn money at this age? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 72,559 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2