DSTA (under Mindef) - Page 33 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

DSTA (under Mindef)

Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Default Any Replies?

Hi, I would like to ask those who had gone for the DSTA interview. Usually would they email/call to inform you tell you are rejected for the position. Or they will not call at all?
And how long does it take for them to reply you?

Because I have gone for the interview during September. But no news from them.

Thanks a lot

Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I would like to ask those who had gone for the DSTA interview. Usually would they email/call to inform you tell you are rejected for the position. Or they will not call at all?
And how long does it take for them to reply you?

Because I have gone for the interview during September. But no news from them.

Thanks a lot
I assume you have been rejected because my frens already got the offer less than 2 weeks after their interview.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I assume you have been rejected because my frens already got the offer less than 2 weeks after their interview.
I see. So is not the usual practice for them to inform the interviewees the final outcome of the interview?

Thanks a lot for the reply

Old 08-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Unregistered

Default Enquiry about working in DSTA

Hi,

I am a fresh graduate from local uni with second upper degree (Business). I was invited for an interview with DSTA soon. I didn't expect to be shortlisted, but well, I was. Strangely, but now, I am having second thoughts about working in DSTA.

I am concern with:
1) Whether if the experience/ skills I learn in DSTA (if I able to secure the job) could be of transferable and recognize by private employers if I decided to switch jobs after 2 to 5 years.

2) Is DSTA starting salary for fresh graduate consider very high when compared across market rate, even compared to the private sector?

3) Do you think if I planned to continue to stay in DSTA for a long time, would my salary be similar (or a bit higher) than my peers in private sector who switch jobs to get higher pay?

As I am the oldest siblings (and even among my cousins), I really do not have any one to consult to and ask for opinions about working life, or even working in a public sector. Thankfully I manage to find this forum and would like to ask you guys about this. I hope that you guys, especially those who are working in DSTA or have worked in DSTA before, to provide me on your insights in this.

Your opinions matters to me a lot, and will definitely shape my starting path for my career.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

Since you mentioned you are studying business, i assumed you should be accepted for HR, procurement or business excellence? Correct me if I'm wrong.

DSTA as its name imply, deals mainly with technology, engineering and defence related projects. Non-engineering grad going into DSTA often find themselves losing out on salary/prospect. They are also on two different pay scheme.

I'm not sure what role in DSTA you are being offered so i cannot comment much. But DSTA has put in alot of effort in making sure their staff are paid competitively in the market. Salary adjustment will be made if your salary was found to be losing out competively.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi,

I am a fresh graduate from local uni with second upper degree (Business). I was invited for an interview with DSTA soon. I didn't expect to be shortlisted, but well, I was. Strangely, but now, I am having second thoughts about working in DSTA.

I am concern with:
1) Whether if the experience/ skills I learn in DSTA (if I able to secure the job) could be of transferable and recognize by private employers if I decided to switch jobs after 2 to 5 years.

2) Is DSTA starting salary for fresh graduate consider very high when compared across market rate, even compared to the private sector?

3) Do you think if I planned to continue to stay in DSTA for a long time, would my salary be similar (or a bit higher) than my peers in private sector who switch jobs to get higher pay?

As I am the oldest siblings (and even among my cousins), I really do not have any one to consult to and ask for opinions about working life, or even working in a public sector. Thankfully I manage to find this forum and would like to ask you guys about this. I hope that you guys, especially those who are working in DSTA or have worked in DSTA before, to provide me on your insights in this.

Your opinions matters to me a lot, and will definitely shape my starting path for my career.

Thank you very much.
1) This depends on what your job scope will be like and where you would like to head to when you go over to private. IMO, young fresh grads, especially those from biz like you should start out in private sector when you still have a lot of energy. Down the line, when you are older, you can make the shift to public and get a pay cut in exchange for more free time. When you are older, it will be much harder for you to make the shift to private and you will be reluctant to do it. At the end of the day, you might just end up stagnating.

2) For science and engine grads, yes, their pay is usually pretty high. For biz grad, probably not. Might be similar or even lower as compared to other ministries. DEFINITELY lower than private sector in the long run. After 2-3 years, your biz peers in private sector confirm surpass you by at least 35% of your pay.

3) No. DSTA might be the wrong stat board for you. IMO, biz grads don't really go far in public sectors. Public sectors tend to prefer academics, i.e. economists, statisticians, and for DSTA's case, engineers and scientists. If you stayed in DSTA for long, maybe you can rise up, but they will always pick an engineer or scientist to be at the top, since they will understand the ground better. DSTA is mainly a procurement arm for military weapons, although they do some research and development themselves as well. But although they are the procurement, their people must be able to understand weaponry and equipment well, something a biz grad definitely would not be able to grasp.

Your pay would definitely be much lower than your pte sector peers in the long run. Biz grads can really earn big bucks in the pte sector. Especially for a person like you with a second upper. IMO, you should go into the pte sector first. Gain experience and also earn a lot of money. Once you feel you are tired, wanna settle down and slow down your pace, transit over to the public sector and take a pay cut.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Thank you very much for your indepth insights!

Both of you have definitely convinced me not to work in DSTA due to my mismatch of skillset. I am so glad to be able to consult you about this. I guess I am slightly insecure about not having any job now, and over reacted to this interview chance. Though I only just graduated Nov/Dec 2014.

I think I would not go the interview then? I could use this time to look for other jobs in the private sector.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you very much for your indepth insights!

Both of you have definitely convinced me not to work in DSTA due to my mismatch of skillset. I am so glad to be able to consult you about this. I guess I am slightly insecure about not having any job now, and over reacted to this interview chance. Though I only just graduated Nov/Dec 2014.

I think I would not go the interview then? I could use this time to look for other jobs in the private sector.

Thanks so much for your help!
It could be that HR are not hiring fresh grads at this point of time. The hiring usually occurs after the May graduation. Since most local uni students graduate at this time. Dont jump on the first thing that comes by. Be patient. If you have to wait until May to get a better job then so be it.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Hi I understand that DSTA provide competitive starting pay,

But would like to know about the career progression of working in DSTA as an engineer-building infrastructure or other system?

Will it be more competitive than pvt sector in the long run?
Old 26-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

Default procurement executive

Hello all, I'm an undergrad (3rd class) in my last year.. I applied for procurement executive and got a call for the interview, but I can't make it for the interview.. They told me there should not be other interviews already, but they seems to be hiring all year round right? (from what I've read from this thread)

Also, anyone doing procurement over there? Care to share about it? I am pretty clueless about this to be honest.. >< How is the environment and turnover rate for procurement? Their procurement department seems to be really different from the procurement dept of other companies right? And will they usually hire third class for procurement? (I know they don't, for research..)

Thank you all!