Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   DSTA (under Mindef) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1940-defence-science-technology-agency-under-ministry-defence-singapore.html)

Unregistered 09-11-2021 02:46 AM

Important is, salary review is yearly, usually what is the offer 2 years ago will not be the same 2 years later. It will just keep going up unless major economic crisis. Example female offered 3.6k as base 2 years ago and 2 years later new base is 3.9k. So 3.9k + 400 is 4.3k. the female two years increment will never hit 4.3k..lol. and in PS or CS, not many promote on 2 years mark. some times, when the newbies joined at the year govt say increment for new engineering student for example, the fresh new male ended up getting the pay as a female who worked 5 years. This is based on my own experience. Males are really seldom shortchanged, remember those sitting high up are mostly male too. It will only be more or on par. I urge the guys not to be so negative. If you really think you will be shortchanged then dont join PS or CS.lol

Unregistered 13-11-2021 01:52 AM

Hi, does anyone knows what is the base pay for a tech engineer role in DSTA for 2nd uppers?

Unregistered 13-11-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189864)
Hi, does anyone knows what is the base pay for a tech engineer role in DSTA for 2nd uppers?

Approx $4.9k for tech role.

Unregistered 15-11-2021 12:14 PM

Does anyone know if DSTA accepts 2nd lowers honors?

Unregistered 16-11-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190074)
Does anyone know if DSTA accepts 2nd lowers honors?

Have quite a lot.

Unregistered 18-11-2021 10:10 AM

how does yearly salary increment works in DSTA? How much do they give? Is it very little

Unregistered 27-11-2021 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190424)
how does yearly salary increment works in DSTA? How much do they give? Is it very little

if you suck then less, if you are gd, definitely more

Unregistered 30-11-2021 10:06 PM

Can anyone advise what's the pre covid average annual increment in DSTA? TIA!

Unregistered 02-12-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191697)
if you suck then less, if you are gd, definitely more

Not very helpful reply. Kong like no kong...haizz .

Unregistered 02-12-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189881)
Approx $4.9k for tech role.

Does anyone knows if dsta have additional monthly allowance?

Unregistered 02-12-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186124)
I just joined C3D this year, starting pay 4.3k and bumped to 5k upon getting degree. So far the work is okay la, minimal office politics but also depends on your team. If you want to chiong and have the aptitude I would suggest looking at private companies like shopee / lazada.

Another thing that I've heard (not verified) is that govtech pays slightly better than DSTA due to the way they structure their salary grades. If you come to DSTA as a software engineer, your title is still "Engineer" and you will be paid the same salary grade as all the other engineers. Whereas in govtech, since all their engineers are doing IT, their salary grade has a higher base pay. Again, this is not verified.

Hmmm for software engineer its pretty lowballed right? Other than basic + bonus, are there any other monthly allowance for engineer role? Figured have to take taxi to go to work since dsta quite ulu

Unregistered 02-12-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192317)
Does anyone knows if dsta have additional monthly allowance?

$4800 yearly allowance. Also heard that DSTA pay for fresh grad at least 5k for guys

Unregistered 03-12-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192336)
$4800 yearly allowance. Also heard that DSTA pay for fresh grad at least 5k for guys

Woah 4800 per year that's on the high side I supposed? How does the allowance work though? Cash bonus or through claims haha

Unregistered 03-12-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192373)
Woah 4800 per year that's on the high side I supposed? How does the allowance work though? Cash bonus or through claims haha

If I'm not wrong, it will be credited monthly (400sgd) into your bank account

Unregistered 04-12-2021 06:13 PM

Inequalities Rant

Hi, I wld just like to rant abt some inequalities I feel there are at DSTA, and please share with me if anyone has views on this.

1. Pay differentiation with class of honours
Some people have high GPAs that are above 4.5 but did not take up FYPs, and are thus given only second uppers pay. And even though DSTA is always quoted to give high pay according to glassdoor reviews, it seems like the base pay is only ~4.9k to 5k for second uppers, which is WAY lower than mean/median pay for some degrees like those in computing according to GES 2020. I think we definitely deserve higher pay.

2. Gender differentiation
There are many guys at DSTA and the male-to-female proportion seems high. The guys get additional pay for NS, which is reasonable, but also 'unreasonable' in a sense when we compare to other companies in the private sector. Guys working in the private sector may not get such additional monthly pay just because they went to NS for 2 years, so why this difference in DSTA? I feel that females would not have to suffer from this 'unfair pay difference' if they had worked in the private sector instead

Also, the higher-ups tend to be male-dominated, so females may not see a future in career progression here.

Unregistered 04-12-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192510)
Hi, I wld just like to rant abt some inequalities I feel there are at DSTA, and please share with me if anyone has views on this.

Some people have high GPAs that are above 4.5 but did not take up FYPs, and are thus given only second uppers pay. And even though DSTA is always quoted to give high pay according to glassdoor reviews, it seems like the base pay is only ~4.9k to 5k for second uppers, which is WAY lower than mean/median pay for some degrees like those in computing according to GES 2020. I think we definitely deserve higher pay.

There are many guys at DSTA and the male-to-female proportion seems high. The guys get additional pay for NS, which is reasonable, but also 'unreasonable' in a sense when we compare to other companies in the private sector. Guys working in the private sector may not get such additional monthly pay just because they went to NS for 2 years, so why this difference in DSTA? I feel that females would not have to suffer from this 'unfair pay difference' if they had worked in the private sector instead

Also, the higher-ups tend to be male-dominated, so females may not see a future in career progression here.

Retirement age for males and females are the same. Assuming a male and female doing a 4 year degree program, a male start work at 25 years old because of 2 years of NS. The female who don’t have to do NS start work at 23 years old. If both retire at 65 years old, the female would have earned 42 years of salary compared with the male who would only earned 40years. Assuming both earn $5k, the 2 years extra the female earned would be $120k excluding bonuses.

Unregistered 04-12-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Every time i see a "i deserve more pay" thingy, i'm thinking anyone force you to take it?

Unregistered 04-12-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Wake up your idea pls.

Unregistered 04-12-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Both males and females retire at the same age. Assuming a male and female Dona 4 year degree program, the male start work at 25 years old because of 2 years of NS and the female start work at 23 years old. If they both retire at 65, the male would have earned only 40years of salary and the female would have earned 42 years of salary. Is it then fair for the males to earn 2 years lesser worth of salary?

This is not to mention some males in NS are exposed to higher risks of physical injuries and deaths because of the nature of their vocations?

Unregistered 04-12-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Both males and females retire at the same age. Assuming a male and female do a 4year degree program, the male starts work at 25 years old because of NS and the female starts at 23 years old. If both retire at 65, the male would have earned only 40years of salary while the female would have made 42 years of salary. I feel the male would not have to suffer from this ‘unfair earning capacity’ if they did not have to serve NS. But do they have the choice not to serve NS?

This is not to mention that some males are exposed to higher risks of physical injuries and deaths due to their vocations in NS.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:49 AM

Gurls should serve too Fair lio lor

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:43 PM

Hi, any datapoint for a senior manager in a support function?

Unregistered 05-12-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Start campaigning for 2 years NS for females to ensure that you get the same benefits as guys. Let's see if you really walk the talk on equality. :o

Unregistered 05-12-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192591)
Start campaigning for 2 years NS for females to ensure that you get the same benefits as guys. Let's see if you really walk the talk on equality. :o

I dont know if any of your HR told you that NS is considered as 2 years working experience and counted in when they generate package for a males. As such, they usually offer higher package as to female and also because of that, completing a 3 years in public service reward you with the one off merit incentive for 5 years service award.

I have seen many male colleagues who have only 4 years working experience, but because HR counted in that 2 years NS, they ended up getting a package that a female with 10-12 years working experience then can get. This is widely known in public service. If the guys dont believe, they can go ask their female counterparts to verify with their package to see.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192645)
I dont know if any of your HR told you that NS is considered as 2 years working experience and counted in when they generate package for a males. As such, they usually offer higher package as to female and also because of that, completing a 3 years in public service reward you with the one off merit incentive for 5 years service award.

I have seen many male colleagues who have only 4 years working experience, but because HR counted in that 2 years NS, they ended up getting a package that a female with 10-12 years working experience then can get. This is widely known in public service. If the guys dont believe, they can go ask their female counterparts to verify with their package to see.

If it bothers u so much, then just go private sector instead of whining non stop. Everyone already mentioned abt females having extra 2 years of salary big advantage but it just can’t sink into your head for some unknown reasons. U can choose to serve NS too if u think it’s a massive advantage.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192645)

Then why don't you enlist and serve 2 years NS to get the benefit too? :o

Unregistered 06-12-2021 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192665)
Then why don't you enlist and serve 2 years NS to get the benefit too? :o

I didn't serve, in fact, I signed on for a few years but when I left to join the public sector, HR don't recognise my years in the force. So it is not about females signing on so to enjoy same benefits, it is whether government want to recognise females serving. If you think that NS will let you lose out to your female counterparts, don't bother to join public service, just go private because you don't need those benefits.

Public sector compensated you and you kp, never compensate you also kp. Go change sex la. Lol

Unregistered 06-12-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192666)
I didn't serve, in fact, I signed on for a few years but when I left to join the public sector, HR don't recognise my years in the force. So it is not about females signing on so to enjoy same benefits, it is whether government want to recognise females serving. If you think that NS will let you lose out to your female counterparts, don't bother to join public service, just go private because you don't need those benefits.

Public sector compensated you and you kp, never compensate you also kp. Go change sex la. Lol

Really talk cock. The other poster didn't even talk about males losing out to females. Of course govt will recognize females who serve NS. Since you like sex change so much, you can sew your cb and attach a dick to show the HR.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

I'm a female working in statboard and even I have to admit that females have a 2 year career headstart over males. There's a reason why employers always call it "NS liability", not "NS advantage".

Unregistered 06-12-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192716)
I'm a female working in statboard and even I have to admit that females have a 2 year career headstart over males. There's a reason why employers always call it "NS liability", not "NS advantage".

yes if the lady is a good performer, she would have 2 years of showing to the bosses her potential thus the trajectory can be earlier established than the guy

Unregistered 06-12-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Try harder to act a female. No female I have spoken to in this 10 years think that they have a headstart.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Eh, if it is a liability but why my male colleagues everytime go reservist so happy? Like go holiday? Or maybe because government job supportive of reservist? Some told me they took it as off loading work and i totally agreed with them. The liability in government sector is less felt compared to private.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 10:36 PM

now fighting NS is liability anot? hehe

Unregistered 07-12-2021 11:32 AM

NS is a privilege. You should feel honored to serve your country. Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Unregistered 11-12-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

You are confusing NS conscript vs own’s decision to sign on. Males can also choose to sign on like you and if they left to join public sector, HR may not also recognise the males’ years in the force. The reason is because the years of sign-on in the force is not relevant experience to the job in public sector and not because HR deliberately ignore years in the force simply because you are female.

For NS conscript, males are required by LAW to serve about 2 years. Females are not. If females want equality then they should approach their MPs to ask parliament to make it a law for NS conscript for females.

Unregistered 11-12-2021 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192789)
NS is a privilege. You should feel honored to serve your country. Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Then why don't you pay the regulars $480 per month and see how many will still stay for "honor" and "loyalty"? Money talks unless your laopeh is Secret Lab CEO, then you can don't need to care about salary.

Unregistered 12-12-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193413)
Then why don't you pay the regulars $480 per month and see how many will still stay for "honor" and "loyalty"? Money talks unless your laopeh is Secret Lab CEO, then you can don't need to care about salary.

Actually I don't mind getting paid $480 per month if I was allowed to be corrupt. If I really wanted to obtain kickbacks from the vendors I manage and receive gifts in exchange for favorable contracts with the system integrators, that would allow me to earn more than what I currently do.

Unregistered 30-12-2021 02:59 AM

Anyone know what the salary range is for senior procurement executive is right now?
Kind of curious because heard a range from a few people that seems to be lower then last time.

Got 2 sources (all is like friend of friend of friend so cannot confirm):
2nd Upper/Distinction - Offered 3.4k
Pass - Offered 3.2k

Quite strange because I see the old post (granted is like May 2020) they say second upper offer is 3.8k. With the toxic workload and also inflation, by right salary should be increasing?
3.2k is also really low for a fresh uni grad in my opinion?

Don't need to add on about terrible work culture, i already told my source about this forum, whether the information is communicated back to the original person who was offered idk, i tried.

Unregistered 05-01-2022 06:32 PM

Pay increment?

May I ask on avg what's the pay increment and progression for engineer role in digitalizaiton? I saw fresh grad gets around 4.9-5.3k. What'll be the yearly increment on avg?

Unregistered 05-01-2022 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196507)
May I ask on avg what's the pay increment and progression for engineer role in digitalizaiton? I saw fresh grad gets around 4.9-5.3k. What'll be the yearly increment on avg?

150 invrement a year