Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   DSTA (under Mindef) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1940-defence-science-technology-agency-under-ministry-defence-singapore.html)

Unregistered 02-11-2013 04:02 PM

Go private

I used to be from dsta.. Seriously, majority of the folks leave dsta after 2 yrs because they are no longer marketable due to their high pay and poor skill sets.. Frankly speaking, my 3 yrs of "project management" skillsets only revolves mundane paper work with a system which bosses don't even advocate.

Now I am doing project management in an oil and gas company which really set real high expectation and I don't really worry about not being marketable.

Unregistered 02-11-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44819)
I used to be from dsta.. Seriously, majority of the folks leave dsta after 2 yrs because they are no longer marketable due to their high pay and poor skill sets.. Frankly speaking, my 3 yrs of "project management" skillsets only revolves mundane paper work with a system which bosses don't even advocate.

Now I am doing project management in an oil and gas company which really set real high expectation and I don't really worry about not being marketable.

let say you are a Average performer or "C" grader in DSTA as an engineer, so will will be the annual increment for "C" grader ?? 5%??

how about B and A ?

Unregistered 02-11-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

wow. so dsta can still jump to big mnc as project management? good what! lol.

if dont leave also good right? can just stay inside. since ur pay will most likely be higher than most of ur peers, maybe lose out to a few that really perform well in private (not many can perform well i think). no ambition stay in dsta also good ma.

Unregistered 03-11-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44835)
wow. so dsta can still jump to big mnc as project management? good what! lol.

if dont leave also good right? can just stay inside. since ur pay will most likely be higher than most of ur peers, maybe lose out to a few that really perform well in private (not many can perform well i think). no ambition stay in dsta also good ma.

Thats what dsta wants u to do.. high pay and stay till retirement. It really depends on what you want in life. My personal thought is to strive while you are young. You will look at the bosses in dsta; they are definitely not people you would want as role models in your career.

Unregistered 03-11-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44845)
Thats what dsta wants u to do.. high pay and stay till retirement. It really depends on what you want in life. My personal thought is to strive while you are young. You will look at the bosses in dsta; they are definitely not people you would want as role models in your career.

What is your definition of high pay? after 4 yrs hit 5k? DSTA are known to be generous with their high starting pay. But how many average bonus? Any other flexi benefits?

Anyway isn't project management skill highly sought after in the IT world now? Why does the project management skill in DSTA not transferable to private sector ?

Unregistered 03-11-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

That means you did not do it right.
Or you thought you were doing project mgmt but were actually not.

Unregistered 03-11-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44848)
What is your definition of high pay? after 4 yrs hit 5k? DSTA are known to be generous with their high starting pay. But how many average bonus? Any other flexi benefits?

Anyway isn't project management skill highly sought after in the IT world now? Why does the project management skill in DSTA not transferable to private sector ?

First year total compensation is already >5k p.m.
Skills ARE transferrable. Don't listen to the people who say DSTA employees acquire skills that aren't.

Unregistered 03-11-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44881)
Skills ARE transferrable. Don't listen to the people who say DSTA employees acquire skills that aren't.

how do you get >5k p.m??

do you mean annual salary divided 12 = >5k p.m ???

imply annual salary > 12x5k = >60k

please advice?

Unregistered 03-11-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44886)

how do you get >5k p.m??

please advice?

I believe its including AWS and bonuses.

Unregistered 03-11-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44886)

how do you get >5k p.m??

please advice?

monthly salary around 4k x (12months + 1 months aws + 3 months performance bonus) = 64k

not forgetting quarterly Market Adjustment Component for salary to be matched competitively to the market. the adjustment will never be negative, either 0% or increase.