Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   DSTA (under Mindef) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1940-defence-science-technology-agency-under-ministry-defence-singapore.html)

Unregistered 18-02-2020 05:09 PM

Notice of Acceptance / Rejectance?
 
Hello all,

Would like to find out if the HR will send an email to notify you the outcome of the interview if you are rejected or no reply within 2 weeks implies the same?

Thanks :)

Unregistered 18-02-2020 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129108)
Hello all,

Would like to find out if the HR will send an email to notify you the outcome of the interview if you are rejected or no reply within 2 weeks implies the same?

Thanks :)


May i know what position you interviewed for?

Unregistered 18-02-2020 10:19 PM

HR position
 
Hi for HR senior executive position with hr degree (pass only), fresh grad,can get 3k with dsta? (That is assuming the position is a degree level job)

My NS i was a Hr admin as well.

nezumi 19-02-2020 02:17 PM

Hi to any kind soul to enlighten me the Corporate Planning department (Quality Management System) team and the work culture in DSTA?

Unregistered 22-02-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkFlueret (Post 127873)
Pardon me if I'm asking obvious questions as I'm quite ignorant in this area. Given that I'm a fresh grad who holds a private diploma & wants to find my first job, is it even possible to get called up for an interview under DSTA or even any public agencies by sending an email to them even though they didn't list any job offers online?

At this point, I wouldn't even mind requesting for an Internship.

And if more information matters, I graduate in Cyber Security & Forensics though IT security is my stronger suit. I also hold professional certs from EC-Council too as those were the additional modules in my course.

Appreciate any helpful replies.

No harm trying. Your skills are in hot demand now.

Unregistered 24-02-2020 05:11 PM

Anyone went campus interviews and got their offer / still waiting?

Unregistered 09-03-2020 02:37 PM

I received an offer for DSTA merit scholarship, 3 years sponsorship but bond capped at 2 years. Seems that people are saying if you join DSTA, your skills will be nontransferrable but that is mainly for the engineering side/roles. I am studying data science so does it seem reasonable to say that these concerns will not be there for me since data science done at dsta could be more outwards-transferrable than engineering? Also I know you obviously will get nowhere near FAANG renumeration, but is it even less than the median 5k starting for say, nus biz analytics?

Unregistered 26-04-2020 11:52 PM

Any opinions on joining DSTA system management?

Unregistered 27-04-2020 11:35 AM

Anybody applied for procurement this year and cleared the security check yet?

Unregistered 27-04-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129845)
I received an offer for DSTA merit scholarship, 3 years sponsorship but bond capped at 2 years. Seems that people are saying if you join DSTA, your skills will be nontransferrable but that is mainly for the engineering side/roles. I am studying data science so does it seem reasonable to say that these concerns will not be there for me since data science done at dsta could be more outwards-transferrable than engineering? Also I know you obviously will get nowhere near FAANG renumeration, but is it even less than the median 5k starting for say, nus biz analytics?

Hi, may I know why you said the skills is non transferrable for engineering side/roles if you are jumping to the new company given that both the companies belong to the same industry?

Unregistered 01-05-2020 06:45 PM

What is the typical career progression for procurement executive? i.e how long does it take to promote to the next position? And how are the increments in salary?

Unregistered 02-05-2020 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127826)
I was "fooled" into joining dsta because of the high salary when I first graduated three years ago. Hoping to get out of the company now but with lack of necessary skills, employers are not keen in hiring me. I feel like I'm stuck in a blackhole.

Are you still stuck in DSTA? I've seen people from totally non-related fields switch to data science after taking some courses, is it possible in your case?

Unregistered 02-05-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133100)
What is the typical career progression for procurement executive? i.e how long does it take to promote to the next position? And how are the increments in salary?

2 years to next grade. subsequent grade will about 2-3 yrs

increment ~300+ is the highest as comapred to other agencies doing prcourement fucntion

Unregistered 03-05-2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133137)
2 years to next grade. subsequent grade will about 2-3 yrs

increment ~300+ is the highest as comapred to other agencies doing prcourement fucntion

I see. By grade, do you mean that the job title changes too? So from executive to lead then to manager? By any chance, do you know how the whole compensation of the role is like? Aws, bonus, leaves etc. Thanks in advance! :)

Unregistered 03-05-2020 01:31 PM

Salary and promotion
 
So my husband working in dsta for 8 years. He always say they never increase his salary. No promotion. But he always go out for a drink to celebrate collegue's promotion. Then I accidentally open his phone and I found out his take home money is 6400 plus. After the navy he study 4 yrs degree electronic Enge. Weapon department. Husband lied. Why?

Unregistered 03-05-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133173)
So my husband working in dsta for 8 years. He always say they never increase his salary. No promotion. But he always go out for a drink to celebrate collegue's promotion. Then I accidentally open his phone and I found out his take home money is 6400 plus. After the navy he study 4 yrs degree electronic Enge. Weapon department. Husband lied. Why?

Which part is lying? Promotion and increment are separate issues.

Unregistered 04-05-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132865)
Hi, may I know why you said the skills is non transferrable for engineering side/roles if you are jumping to the new company given that both the companies belong to the same industry?

From quite a bit of research (across the forums, nothing formal at all), a lot of people are saying working in DSTA is mostly project management. No idea though

pomfret 04-05-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129845)
I received an offer for DSTA merit scholarship, 3 years sponsorship but bond capped at 2 years. Seems that people are saying if you join DSTA, your skills will be nontransferrable but that is mainly for the engineering side/roles. I am studying data science so does it seem reasonable to say that these concerns will not be there for me since data science done at dsta could be more outwards-transferrable than engineering? Also I know you obviously will get nowhere near FAANG renumeration, but is it even less than the median 5k starting for say, nus biz analytics?

bump for you, also want to know.

Unregistered 09-05-2020 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132853)
Anybody applied for procurement this year and cleared the security check yet?

Received a verbal offer 1 week aft interview. Awaiting g50 clearance right now

Unregistered 13-05-2020 01:37 PM

Procurement at DSTA
 
Hello folks,

I was browsing through the careers page at DSTA, when I saw an opening for procurement executive/snr executive at DSTA.

I have been told that the procurement department experiences high turnover, mainly due to the high workload. I have also heard some stories (anecdotal in nature; unverifiable) that the working hours are very long in the procurement department, so much so that the earliest you can leave for home is 6:30PM, assuming that report to work at 8:30am.

Another pain-point would be the routine work, which I don't mind honestly. But from what I gather, it is a gloomy picture of DSTA's procurement department. Anybody can give inputs? How are the bosses like?

Applied for their role because I needed a job. At the stage where they are asking for additional documents. No invites for interviews yet, probably due to the circuit breaker period.

Unregistered 13-05-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133173)
So my husband working in dsta for 8 years. He always say they never increase his salary. No promotion. But he always go out for a drink to celebrate collegue's promotion. Then I accidentally open his phone and I found out his take home money is 6400 plus. After the navy he study 4 yrs degree electronic Enge. Weapon department. Husband lied. Why?

You are the problem

Unregistered 15-05-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134035)
You are the problem

How the wifey suddenly open the phone and accidentally go thru to find the salary

Unregistered 15-05-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133970)
Hello folks,

I was browsing through the careers page at DSTA, when I saw an opening for procurement executive/snr executive at DSTA.

I have been told that the procurement department experiences high turnover, mainly due to the high workload. I have also heard some stories (anecdotal in nature; unverifiable) that the working hours are very long in the procurement department, so much so that the earliest you can leave for home is 6:30PM, assuming that report to work at 8:30am.

Another pain-point would be the routine work, which I don't mind honestly. But from what I gather, it is a gloomy picture of DSTA's procurement department. Anybody can give inputs? How are the bosses like?

Applied for their role because I needed a job. At the stage where they are asking for additional documents. No invites for interviews yet, probably due to the circuit breaker period.


my interview was done online via MS teams. Hope that helps

Unregistered 16-05-2020 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133970)
Hello folks,

I was browsing through the careers page at DSTA, when I saw an opening for procurement executive/snr executive at DSTA.

I have been told that the procurement department experiences high turnover, mainly due to the high workload. I have also heard some stories (anecdotal in nature; unverifiable) that the working hours are very long in the procurement department, so much so that the earliest you can leave for home is 6:30PM, assuming that report to work at 8:30am.

Another pain-point would be the routine work, which I don't mind honestly. But from what I gather, it is a gloomy picture of DSTA's procurement department. Anybody can give inputs? How are the bosses like?

Applied for their role because I needed a job. At the stage where they are asking for additional documents. No invites for interviews yet, probably due to the circuit breaker period.

High workload is expected for the high salary package in DSTA. If you want to relax, ST Engineering will be a better place, albeit for lower pay.

Unregistered 16-05-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133970)
Hello folks,

I was browsing through the careers page at DSTA, when I saw an opening for procurement executive/snr executive at DSTA.

I have been told that the procurement department experiences high turnover, mainly due to the high workload. I have also heard some stories (anecdotal in nature; unverifiable) that the working hours are very long in the procurement department, so much so that the earliest you can leave for home is 6:30PM, assuming that report to work at 8:30am.

Another pain-point would be the routine work, which I don't mind honestly. But from what I gather, it is a gloomy picture of DSTA's procurement department. Anybody can give inputs? How are the bosses like?

Applied for their role because I needed a job. At the stage where they are asking for additional documents. No invites for interviews yet, probably due to the circuit breaker period.

High workload is expected for the high salary package in DSTA. If you want to relax, ST Engineering will be a better place, albeit for lower pay

Unregistered 17-05-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133155)
I see. By grade, do you mean that the job title changes too? So from executive to lead then to manager? By any chance, do you know how the whole compensation of the role is like? Aws, bonus, leaves etc. Thanks in advance! :)

Promotion in grade not necessarily means a job title change

Snr Exec --> Asst Mgr --> Mgr --> Snr Mgr (first Supervisory Appt)/Asst Dir --> Dy Dir

Pay and benefits are inline with civil service.

Unregistered 17-05-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133970)
Hello folks,

I was browsing through the careers page at DSTA, when I saw an opening for procurement executive/snr executive at DSTA.

I have been told that the procurement department experiences high turnover, mainly due to the high workload. I have also heard some stories (anecdotal in nature; unverifiable) that the working hours are very long in the procurement department, so much so that the earliest you can leave for home is 6:30PM, assuming that report to work at 8:30am.

Another pain-point would be the routine work, which I don't mind honestly. But from what I gather, it is a gloomy picture of DSTA's procurement department. Anybody can give inputs? How are the bosses like?

Applied for their role because I needed a job. At the stage where they are asking for additional documents. No invites for interviews yet, probably due to the circuit breaker period.

Workload varies depending on the type of procurement you are doing. But it is generally high hence the high turnover rate.

Flexi working hours means you just need to clock 42 hours per week.

No fixed reporting or dismissal time as long as you can complete your work.

Unregistered 17-05-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134310)
High workload is expected for the high salary package in DSTA. If you want to relax, ST Engineering will be a better place, albeit for lower pay

Nah this is factually untrue. ST lower pay but also lower manpower meaning 1 person handle multiple projects. The workload essentially become the same - heavy - but at a lower pay.

Unregistered 17-05-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134380)
Nah this is factually untrue. ST lower pay but also lower manpower meaning 1 person handle multiple projects. The workload essentially become the same - heavy - but at a lower pay.

I was from ST Eng, let's not kid ourselves here. Most of the office hours were spent surfing HardwareZone and ...

Unregistered 17-05-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134387)
I was from ST Eng, let's not kid ourselves here. Most of the office hours were spent surfing HardwareZone and ...

Sounds like it's just you. ST Eng internet blocked access to google, , microsoft, facebook, twitter, reddit, hardwarezone....

you'll probably have to use your own mobile data to go to internet...
the culture now is everyone on their phone... laptop open... phone in front of laptop ....

KEKEKE

Unregistered 17-05-2020 02:04 PM

I work with quite a few DSTA procurement people in my past life.

1. they have a high workload.
2. they have a structured promotion till the rank of manager
3. Senior Exec, AM, M, SM
4. i know of people who reach SM within 6 years

Long hours and need to chiong but once u know the ropes, very fast and easy


Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133970)
Hello folks,

I was browsing through the careers page at DSTA, when I saw an opening for procurement executive/snr executive at DSTA.

I have been told that the procurement department experiences high turnover, mainly due to the high workload. I have also heard some stories (anecdotal in nature; unverifiable) that the working hours are very long in the procurement department, so much so that the earliest you can leave for home is 6:30PM, assuming that report to work at 8:30am.

Another pain-point would be the routine work, which I don't mind honestly. But from what I gather, it is a gloomy picture of DSTA's procurement department. Anybody can give inputs? How are the bosses like?

Applied for their role because I needed a job. At the stage where they are asking for additional documents. No invites for interviews yet, probably due to the circuit breaker period.


Unregistered 18-05-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134392)
Sounds like it's just you. ST Eng internet blocked access to google, , microsoft, facebook, twitter, reddit, hardwarezone....

you'll probably have to use your own mobile data to go to internet...
the culture now is everyone on their phone... laptop open... phone in front of laptop ....

KEKEKE

There is [email protected] but the earlier poster exaggerated a bit, sometimes got busy period, sometimes got lull period. Depends on business unit but there's definitely more lull than busy periods.

Unregistered 19-05-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125135)
What is the equivalent pay grade of mx11a in dsta? Grade 9?

Would like to know too. A fren say he given grade 8. Is it possible?

Unregistered 20-05-2020 10:46 PM

Progression for Non-Tech
 
Got a job offer from DSTA as a senior procurement exec. Starting pay is good, benefits are reasonable. But I'm really worried about progression and salary increment for the non-tech side as well as skill transferability if I want to jump ship. Anyone can enlighten me?

Unregistered 21-05-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134429)
I work with quite a few DSTA procurement people in my past life.

1. they have a high workload.
2. they have a structured promotion till the rank of manager
3. Senior Exec, AM, M, SM
4. i know of people who reach SM within 6 years

Long hours and need to chiong but once u know the ropes, very fast and easy

Do you happen to know what their typical work day is like? Asking because 'high' workload could be subjective. TIA!

Unregistered 21-05-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134730)
Got a job offer from DSTA as a senior procurement exec. Starting pay is good, benefits are reasonable. But I'm really worried about progression and salary increment for the non-tech side as well as skill transferability if I want to jump ship. Anyone can enlighten me?

How much do they offer?

Unregistered 22-05-2020 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134799)
How much do they offer?

3.8 with 2nd upper hons, business deg from local uni

Unregistered 22-05-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134814)
3.8 with 2nd upper hons, business deg from local uni

Salary is lower for generalist role, tech role will be $4.8k+

Unregistered 22-05-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134834)
Salary is lower for generalist role, tech role will be $4.8k+

Where can a DSTA project manager go after working for a few years, feeling quite stuck in this role with no transferable skills.

Unregistered 22-05-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134730)
Got a job offer from DSTA as a senior procurement exec. Starting pay is good, benefits are reasonable. But I'm really worried about progression and salary increment for the non-tech side as well as skill transferability if I want to jump ship. Anyone can enlighten me?

Wish to know this too! Bumpssss


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2