Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   DSTA (under Mindef) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1940-defence-science-technology-agency-under-ministry-defence-singapore.html)

Unregistered 03-07-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39241)
Hi there, do you mind elaborate more on their responsibilities? It seems like a work balanced jobs as described by the past forumers. (8-5 no OT, flexible working hour, leave and etc)

Not true for some PCs.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39416)
The person posting this is always the same guy. C'mon. no one will share with you up to this details.

My pay has risen close to 60% since i joined. Just completed 4 years in DSTA. I have been taking up big projects that are quite visible to management. Starting pay was $3580 (2nd class Upper) four years ago.

Projects are not easy and hard work is required. Although you do have spare time here and there, you are expected to deliver projects on-time to SAF. There are stressful times here too. I don't think i will be earning so high if i am slacking here. BTW, I am not a scholar.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39526)
My pay has risen close to 60% since i joined. Just completed 4 years in DSTA. I have been taking up big projects that are quite visible to management. Starting pay was $3580 (2nd class Upper) four years ago.

Projects are not easy and hard work is required. Although you do have spare time here and there, you are expected to deliver projects on-time to SAF. There are stressful times here too. I don't think i will be earning so high if i am slacking here. BTW, I am not a scholar.

Very valuable info. Thanks gentleman. May I check do you considered yourself as one of the higher performer or an average one? It seems like you are doing very well there.

PS: how many promotion you gotten so far? And your merit increment? Close to 60% increment in 4 years is very promising. Do you mind give a breakdown?

Unregistered 05-07-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

are you consistent "C" grader or "B" grader or even "A" grader??

60% more to 3580 is approx 5.7k, in just 4 years!!!!

Wow!!

Do you frequent OT?? Are you now grade 7 or grade 8?

Thank for this insightful info

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:11 PM

Quite a number of reviews in Glassdoor for DSTA. Most of the comments are rather consistent. so I think it should be quite reliable. Common pros include good starting pay, interesting projects, work-life balance, good training ground etc. Common grouses include too many red tapes, slow career progression, too many unnecessary showy projects/policies etc. The most recent poster is >7 yrs senior engineer who earned <$90K pa.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38894)
salary for fresh graduate engineer that came in this month:

with ns
1st class = 4270
2nd upper = 3970
2nd lower = 3770

someone here posted he join in 2009 with 2nd upper with NS at 3580. now getting about 5700(assume 60% more) as he claim in just 4 years.

Let me do a break down for him

2009 - $3580
2010 - $38XX (~8.5% annual increment)
2011 - $42XX (~8.5% annual increment)
2011 - $46XX (+390 wage/salary adjustment)>>>since in now 2nd upper getting 3970 as compare to him 3580.
2012 - $52XX (~13.5% annual & promotion increment)
2013 - $56XX

(56XX - 3580)/3580 = 58%, very close to the 60% he mention!!!!

Unregistered 07-07-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Yep, this sounds about right.
I did not make it to 4 years but that would be the approximate if I extrapolate.

Unregistered 07-07-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39601)
Yep, this sounds about right.
I did not make it to 4 years but that would be the approximate if I extrapolate.

sound right, but can you tell is he an average performer, C or B or A?? 60% is too much man

Unregistered 07-07-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39548)
are you consistent "C" grader or "B" grader or even "A" grader??

60% more to 3580 is approx 5.7k, in just 4 years!!!!

Wow!!

Do you frequent OT?? Are you now grade 7 or grade 8?

Thank for this insightful info

I have completed a couple of high value projects and have 3-4 projects on hand to manage. I consider myself a competent worker and finish my work conscientiously, despite having to overcome red tape. I guess my bosses see the value in me and thus reward me with the pay I have today. There are multiple stressful occurance while handling projects and i am required to resolve them. OT are necessary when project requires them, and I have on some occasion stayed on site till 2am to ensure work is properly performed by contractors. However, flexi-arrangements allow me to return the work a little later than usual on next working day. On the whole, the career I got in DSTA is what I am looking for upon my graduation 4 years ago.

Unregistered 07-07-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38956)
apparently the diff between 1st class and 2nd is 100. one of my friends (first class hons student) is offered 4070 recently.

I think this is more accurate. I've a contractor friend working closely inside defense telling me DSTA has highest start at about $4K. Even more than DSO, CSIT, DXO etc.