DSTA (under Mindef) - Page 101 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.




DSTA (under Mindef)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1001 (permalink)  
Old 25-08-2021, 10:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can an above average engineer earn above 12k after spending 10 years in DSTA?
Not as basic salary, annual divide by 12 probably can

Reply With Quote
  #1002 (permalink)  
Old 31-08-2021, 07:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

for dsta, understand that a g50 clearance is required but i see contradicting steps based on the previous posts.

Some get offer before g50 submission.
Some get g50 submission only and have to wait for clearance.

for the latter, did anyone have experience how long did you wait before an offer or maybe a rejection came?

Reply With Quote
  #1003 (permalink)  
Old 31-08-2021, 10:28 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 27
CorgiHamster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yeah engineer turnover is low. But given the pay commanded by dsta engineers, i think also difficult for most to let go of the golden handcuffs, so can tahan a bit

hahaha, procurement on the other hand, can only say they really deserve a lot better for what they have to deal with.
so non procurement roles is not so bad in DSTA?

Reply With Quote
  #1004 (permalink)  
Old 31-08-2021, 10:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiHamster View Post
so non procurement roles is not so bad in DSTA?
it is not so black and white like engineer good, procurement bad. engineering population is huge, got some variance in experience across programme centres (and even within, all depends on superior). and also depends on whether you can handle the red tape and bureaucracy. if you can, might be good for you. if you can't, likely you will find it very miserable. like they say, in the public service, people either quit early on or stay forever, there's no in between.

plus, don't forget DSTA serves SAF. and I doubt I need to say more about what SAF culture is like.

the only thing that you can say for certain is the salary for engineers is very good, at least for the starting salary.
Reply With Quote
  #1005 (permalink)  
Old 31-08-2021, 11:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
it is not so black and white like engineer good, procurement bad. engineering population is huge, got some variance in experience across programme centres (and even within, all depends on superior). and also depends on whether you can handle the red tape and bureaucracy. if you can, might be good for you. if you can't, likely you will find it very miserable. like they say, in the public service, people either quit early on or stay forever, there's no in between.

plus, don't forget DSTA serves SAF. and I doubt I need to say more about what SAF culture is like.

the only thing that you can say for certain is the salary for engineers is very good, at least for the starting salary.
What do you think about joining for the starting salary, pick up some tech experience, leave after 2 years? how much would my salary be by then assuming average performance?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1006 (permalink)  
Old 31-08-2021, 11:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What do you think about joining for the starting salary, pick up some tech experience, leave after 2 years? how much would my salary be by then assuming average performance?
leave for other public agency? might work out.

leave for private sector? no one is going to match your salary

unless you have some exceptional transferable skillset, likely any engineer who leaves will need to take a pay cut.
Reply With Quote

  #1007 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 12:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
leave for other public agency? might work out.

leave for private sector? no one is going to match your salary

unless you have some exceptional transferable skillset, likely any engineer who leaves will need to take a pay cut.
This is how dsta traps young engineers, high starting salary but 3-5 years down the road their peers outside start to overtake them and by then they would have no transferable skills to get out. If get out would need to take paycut and start from zero.
Reply With Quote
  #1008 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 09:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is how dsta traps young engineers, high starting salary but 3-5 years down the road their peers outside start to overtake them and by then they would have no transferable skills to get out. If get out would need to take paycut and start from zero.
Yup, the so called golden handcuffs. It is a big reason why engineer turnover is quite low as opposed to procurement (can't expect people to stay when you pay peanuts but thats of topic) It is still not the worst job with the current state of the job market, but if you are thinking about doing a short stint and leaving that is really not the best idea unless you have a solid plan for the next 5-10 years for your career trajectory.
Reply With Quote
  #1009 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I only got 5% increment for B grade, but including salary review around 10% annual increment
What do you mean by salary review?
Is it Every year have a salary review in addition to annual increment?
Reply With Quote
  #1010 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 01:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
for dsta, understand that a g50 clearance is required but i see contradicting steps based on the previous posts.

Some get offer before g50 submission.
Some get g50 submission only and have to wait for clearance.

for the latter, did anyone have experience how long did you wait before an offer or maybe a rejection came?
Bump. Anyone ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) lyndonmaxewell Income and Jobs 5983 Today 09:19 AM
MINDEF enlistment inspector sickandtired Income and Jobs 2 18-01-2020 10:22 AM
MINDEF DXO - Executive (NS Relations & Engagement) Rebecca Income and Jobs 8 03-12-2013 05:20 PM
Higher starting salaries for MINDEF and SAF entrants Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 06-04-2012 07:31 AM
MINDEF and SAF Sign-On Bonuses Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 16-08-2009 03:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,026 Replies, 5,279,305 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,270 Replies, 10,640,543 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,477 Replies, 3,544,341 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 515,385 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
891 Replies, 422,381 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,477 Replies, 12,751,433 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,829 Replies, 2,470,522 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,862 Replies, 1,548,054 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,885 Replies, 1,497,153 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,489 Replies, 2,480,127 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,983 Replies, 4,813,430 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,314 Replies, 670,218 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,179 Replies, 1,125,008 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
473 Replies, 641,062 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,600 Replies, 1,437,975 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
231 Replies, 261,949 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,419 Replies, 6,996,488 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,372 Replies, 1,193,687 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
773 Replies, 450,653 Views
CIMB Apprentice 2024
4 Replies, 196 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
162 Replies, 163,600 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
183 Replies, 235,659 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
834 Replies, 442,732 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
189 Replies, 322,933 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
939 Replies, 547,491 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,230 Replies, 3,887,732 Views
Dillema: University of Melbourne... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 67,290 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,866 Replies, 1,618,866 Views
Work in SMU ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,054 Views
Anyone from Ministry of Social and... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 19,072 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2