Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   HDB (under MND) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1790-housing-development-board-under-mnd.html)

pelandok 14-03-2012 08:51 PM

HDB (under MND)

Hi, is there anyone here who is currently working in HDB? I would like to find out what is the working culture and work load like, especially in the HR side.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Cheers

Bean 14-03-2012 09:07 PM

I also interested about HDB.

Can someone provide more info on the starting salary with NS(2nd lower to 1st class)

Assume some join HDB as fresh grad @$3500...then 5 years down the road, how much will be his salary?

How much is the annual package? Got 16 months (inclusive AWS)??

Unregistered 15-03-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 22308)

Can someone provide more info on the starting salary with NS(2nd lower to 1st class)

Assume some join HDB as fresh grad @$3500...then 5 years down the road, how much will be his salary?

I heard HDB HR don't like losers like you

Unregistered 15-03-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 22308)

Maybe $3.6k.

Bean 15-03-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22325)
I heard HDB HR don't like losers like you

why asking a question is loser? It would better to know how much are they going to compensate you beforehand, before you go apply the job right...

it is pointless to go thru assessment test,2-3 round interview, in the end they give you a lousy offer of the job you apply, in the end you rejected the offer...waste my time and the interviewer time......

Bean 15-03-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22329)
Maybe $3.6k.

LOL after 5 years only +100 increment??:confused:

Unregistered 15-03-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelandok (Post 22305)
Hi, is there anyone here who is currently working in HDB? I would like to find out what is the working culture and work load like, especially in the HR side.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Cheers

HDB is one of the most "civil service" organization around, probably only CPF more power than them.

There is no HR department in HDB, their HR is just a renamed Administration & Manpower department. The department is >90% admin ladies who are there to pass time.

Bean 15-03-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22344)
HDB is one of the most "civil service" organization around, probably only CPF more power than them.

There is no HR department in HDB, their HR is just a renamed Administration & Manpower department. The department is >90% admin ladies who are there to pass time.

LOL.......really ah???

Unregistered 15-03-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22344)

Yea, if i am not wrong their HR belongs to the corporate development section. Anyway, it sounds like you have some insights to the department. Any idea how is the work load like/peak period like? Heard that pace is pretty quick there but not sure how true is that.

Unregistered 15-03-2012 05:53 PM

LOL. Pace is pretty quick when compared to CPF?

Dead water department filled with people with no career aspiration at all. Recently someone high up tried to push for modernization and many old birds not happy, but then honestly when the whole department consist of family ladies who are content to take it easy until retirement, what can anyone do?

It’s not like they can fire them… You give them low ratings, increments & bonus they also bochap.

Even if they succeed to transform the department, at most it will still be on par as stat board, definitely in terms of pace, creativity and dynamic is still far cry from private companies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22354)
Yea, if i am not wrong their HR belongs to the corporate development section. Anyway, it sounds like you have some insights to the department. Any idea how is the work load like/peak period like? Heard that pace is pretty quick there but not sure how true is that.

Unregistered 15-03-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22355)
LOL. Pace is pretty quick when compared to CPF?

Dead water department filled with people with no career aspiration at all. Recently someone high up tried to push for modernization and many old birds not happy, but then honestly when the whole department consist of family ladies who are content to take it easy until retirement, what can anyone do?

It’s not like they can fire them… You give them low ratings, increments & bonus they also bochap.

Even if they succeed to transform the department, at most it will still be on par as stat board, definitely in terms of pace, creativity and dynamic is still far cry from private companies.

Haha I sense a bit of sarcasm there but I am still a little confused. So you are saying that the pace is not exactly fast actually? So I presume OT isnt very prevalent there?

Isn't there any new blood in the form of new graduates in the department? How is the turnover rate like?

Unregistered 15-03-2012 09:01 PM

be prepared for Singaporean's complaints. Some of them are really spolit to the core and may scold you.

if u cannot handle this, don't join. My fren at HDB gets alot of unreasonable requests from Singaporeans.

pelandok 15-03-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22361)
be prepared for Singaporean's complaints. Some of them are really spolit to the core and may scold you.

if u cannot handle this, don't join. My fren at HDB gets alot of unreasonable requests from Singaporeans.

Yea I heard about that. I think that would pertain more towards the estate officer job role where they have to handle customer service.

What about the HR side? Heard of any beautiful or horror stories?

Unregistered 16-03-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22356)
Haha I sense a bit of sarcasm there but I am still a little confused. So you are saying that the pace is not exactly fast actually? So I presume OT isnt very prevalent there?

OT very rare as far as I can tell, maybe only peak period I see some of them hanging around. Even then, I’ve never seen anyone really stay beyond 8pm. Turnover definitely much lower than outside.

It’s pretty standard stuff they handle, just think of it as an administrator job, the usual things like looking after employment contracts, tending to queries, organizing welfare events, conduct interview etc. Like I mention earlier, it’s not really HR, more like admin department.

Quote:

Isn't there any new blood in the form of new graduates in the department? How is the turnover rate like?
Of course they still have occasional fresh grads or <30s coming in, but the point is not they are old or young, it’s just that even with fresh grads, do you think a progressive & ambitious fresh grad will come and work as an administrator in a civil service environment? The culture & recruitment process already serve as auto filter to make sure only those who fit the mould will join regardless of age

Bean 16-03-2012 12:27 PM

how about those engineer in HDB, stressful job/alot of OT?? too

pelandok 16-03-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22388)
OT very rare as far as I can tell, maybe only peak period I see some of them hanging around. Even then, I’ve never seen anyone really stay beyond 8pm. Turnover definitely much lower than outside.

It’s pretty standard stuff they handle, just think of it as an administrator job, the usual things like looking after employment contracts, tending to queries, organizing welfare events, conduct interview etc. Like I mention earlier, it’s not really HR, more like admin department.

Of course they still have occasional fresh grads or <30s coming in, but the point is not they are old or young, it’s just that even with fresh grads, do you think a progressive & ambitious fresh grad will come and work as an administrator in a civil service environment? The culture & recruitment process already serve as auto filter to make sure only those who fit the mould will join regardless of age

Great insights. Appreciate the points made. Besides the workload, do u have anything to share about the culture at HDB (ie: friendly environmient, opportunities for internal job rotation, etc)?

Unregistered 17-03-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelandok (Post 22442)
Great insights. Appreciate the points made. Besides the workload, do u have anything to share about the culture at HDB (ie: friendly environmient, opportunities for internal job rotation, etc)?

The few I talk to before seem quite friendly, can't say for the others. Don't think there are opportunities for job rotation, unless you count moving from administering contracts to administering training plan as job rotation.

civil serpent 17-03-2012 12:35 PM

eh getsby. chiu want to be civil serpent meh

Bean 17-03-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civil serpent (Post 22480)
eh getsby. chiu want to be civil serpent meh

have been applying, not even an inteeview?
2nd lower NTU mechanical eng..
4-5 years eng exp in GLC.

why join civil service:
-support NS activity, ICT/IPPT/RT
-no FT
-work life balance
-pro- family
-will always have wage adjustment every 3-5 years
-annual salary about 16 mths on average
-annual increment/promotion is double of what my company is giving now..
-very stable

civil serpent 17-03-2012 02:04 PM

that's because ST engineering sucks isn't it. Why stay in that **** hole?

You can try out privately owned MNCs in your sector

pelandok 17-03-2012 10:42 PM

On a different note, any idea if HDB is/have implemented any wage adjustment this year?

Unregistered 15-07-2012 07:14 PM

Accountant in HDB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22388)

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Hi,

Thanks for the insight =)

May I know if you might have any idea on the prospect of an accountant in HDB or the working culture in the Accounting / Finance dept?

Kind regards

Unregistered 11-07-2013 11:19 PM

HR department works very long hours, usually till 9pm is the norm. Peak period can mean just two hours of sleep and working 7/24. No time off, no OT pay because the boss said this is part of work. Expect phone calls from office between 7.30pm to 9pm on a daily basis and boss like to ask "can you amend now", "you not in office then is your notebook with you?" Too busy for your family, too bad. You end up wondering why you are there and if possible will end up leaving. Phone calls and text messages from boss on weekends and PH is very common.

Unregistered 11-07-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39802)
HR department works very long hours, usually till 9pm is the norm. Peak period can mean just two hours of sleep and working 7/24. No time off, no OT pay because the boss said this is part of work. Expect phone calls from office between 7.30pm to 9pm on a daily basis and boss like to ask "can you amend now", "you not in office then is your notebook with you?" Too busy for your family, too bad. You end up wondering why you are there and if possible will end up leaving. Phone calls and text messages from boss on weekends and PH is very common.

Your HR department is definitely not the norm. I suspect it's a star board. Am I right?

icy water 22-07-2013 10:30 PM

work in HR also work until so xiong might as well work elsewhere

Unregistered 19-10-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39802)

the website says so much about work-life balance and family-oriented environment so very surprised by your story.

how about IT department.. is it equally bad?

Unregistered 28-01-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44038)
the website says so much about work-life balance and family-oriented environment so very surprised by your story.

how about IT department.. is it equally bad?

Their IT department also pretty bad. On call at times and some work on shifts and they have a large pool of contract programmers from other Asian countries.

Ecstasy 13-06-2014 11:28 AM

How often does the customer service side (estate manager) get pay increments?

Is there no opportunity in that department for promotions or job rotations?

Unregistered 24-06-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecstasy (Post 52322)
How often does the customer service side (estate manager) get pay increments?

Is there no opportunity in that department for promotions or job rotations?

Bump! 10char

Unregistered 31-07-2014 09:26 PM

Went for HDB interview, how long does it take to reply the result?

Unregistered 31-07-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54011)
Went for HDB interview, how long does it take to reply the result?

Interview for which position?

Unregistered 02-08-2014 09:39 AM

what is the culture like in properties and land group? thinking of applying there.

Unregistered 04-08-2014 10:06 AM

HDB to private sector

If one can move from HDB to the private sector, what would be suitable companies to look at?

Unregistered 25-08-2014 09:19 PM

hope that someone (hopefully from HDB) can answer my queries.

would like to know the working culture of estate manager (customer relations). is it fast paced/slow paced? friendly colls and bosses? stuff like that.

and also, the starting salary and the progression.

thanks in advance for any help!

:D

Unregistered 28-08-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55423)
hope that someone (hopefully from HDB) can answer my queries.

would like to know the working culture of estate manager (customer relations). is it fast paced/slow paced? friendly colls and bosses? stuff like that.

and also, the starting salary and the progression.

thanks in advance for any help!

:D

I was from HDB before but in a different department from yours. Are you a fresh graduate? If so, 2nd upper would probably fetch around 3.5 3.6k? Not sure how much are they offering right now.

Progression is good, standard promotion when the time is ripe and good work performance.

Colleagues and bosses for mine are good, yours probably too.

Unregistered 28-08-2014 11:37 PM

i'm 2nd upper, non fresh grad. asked for 3.2k cos i have no idea how much they usually offer. what is a typical day of an estate manager then?

Unregistered 26-12-2014 09:56 AM

possible to get $3.5k as an estate manager?

Unregistered 26-12-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60516)
possible to get $3.5k as an estate manager?

Definitely, fresh grads are already getting that amount easily in govt jobs

Unregistered 14-01-2015 04:21 PM

anybody working as estate manager in HDB? How is the work like?

Unregistered 31-01-2015 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61359)
anybody working as estate manager in HDB? How is the work like?

probably you will be facing stress from your very fellow singaporean more than the stress given by your boss.