GIC (Government of Singapore Investment Corporation) - Page 32 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.




GIC (Government of Singapore Investment Corporation)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #311 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2021, 12:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Honestly, I’ll tell you that a lot of the quoted salaries here are very very inflated. Unless they include the bonus component into their monthly calculations; which is unlikely.

My advice is to get in, and seek a decent 15-20% increment on last drawn.
Honestly, no company entertains a 199999% increment unless you are an investment superstar.

Reply With Quote
  #312 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2021, 12:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Honestly, I’ll tell you that a lot of the quoted salaries here are very very inflated. Unless they include the bonus component into their monthly calculations; which is unlikely.

My advice is to get in, and seek a decent 15-20% increment on last drawn.
Honestly, no company entertains a 199999% increment unless you are an investment superstar.
Agree. And one who works in the company would know. Bonuses are good but performance-based even for scholars.

Only truth mentioned in other posts is that there is a difference between Investment and Non-Investment payscales.

Reply With Quote
  #313 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2021, 01:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think GIC has a pretty good life balance for back office roles. This is my own perception haha maybe someone inside can give a better view.
It is true that life balance is decent if you want to coast.
But the company is pretty transparent and sharp at recognising effort and output. You may just have to give up better bonuses in-lieu.

But coast does not mean shirk work/become sloppy.

Having said that, you might find that those who want to coast are few and far between because of the reasons mentioned above.

Reply With Quote
  #314 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2021, 11:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is true that life balance is decent if you want to coast.
But the company is pretty transparent and sharp at recognising effort and output. You may just have to give up better bonuses in-lieu.

But coast does not mean shirk work/become sloppy.

Having said that, you might find that those who want to coast are few and far between because of the reasons mentioned above.
I see! Have you been with them before? Not saying I want a chill life haha but I guess having a family requires me to think of that work life balance. Wanted to know if the hours are bad and is it very stressful or competitive inside there?
Reply With Quote
  #315 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see! Have you been with them before? Not saying I want a chill life haha but I guess having a family requires me to think of that work life balance. Wanted to know if the hours are bad and is it very stressful or competitive inside there?
Perhaps you want to be more specific about the department or division or more importantly the function. Even public and private differ.
Reply With Quote
  #316 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2021, 11:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Perhaps you want to be more specific about the department or division or more importantly the function. Even public and private differ.
I was being offered investment support for private markets! Based on your experience was it tough to maintain family and work!


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #317 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2021, 04:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was being offered investment support for private markets! Based on your experience was it tough to maintain family and work!
Was not so tough for me because the work was extremely interesting and novel - but then I was in public markets as an investment professional. Usually a maximum 15h work day due to market times. But never had to work weekends.

Private might be more hectic, especially if you support PE because that is the nature of PE Deals. Infrastructure and Real Estate probably less so.
Reply With Quote
  #318 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2021, 12:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Was not so tough for me because the work was extremely interesting and novel - but then I was in public markets as an investment professional. Usually a maximum 15h work day due to market times. But never had to work weekends.

Private might be more hectic, especially if you support PE because that is the nature of PE Deals. Infrastructure and Real Estate probably less so.
Thanks so much! Appreciate it! I see, normally what are your hours on a normal day, is it constantly more than 12?! Can I ask why private is more busy as well? Seems like their portfolio heavier on public so wanted to know why. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #319 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2021, 03:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks so much! Appreciate it! I see, normally what are your hours on a normal day, is it constantly more than 12?! Can I ask why private is more busy as well? Seems like their portfolio heavier on public so wanted to know why. Thanks a lot!
Nobody makes you stay more than the usual number of hours - and people do go off on time. But there are many who want to stay because of the interesting work.

Interesting that you would ask that. Private deals need to be structured, and data is often limited - which means you have to work that extra hard for valuation/risk/leverage/strategy decisions.

Public is definitely higher in volume, but public-side products are either exchange/OTC, and data is freely and readily available for all insti market participants. Public ops teams are busy, but there will hardly be any structuring like in private.

Let me put it this way: you'll think and research more about PC parts when buying and assembling your own PC; as compared to just buying a ready-made from Dell
Reply With Quote
  #320 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2021, 02:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

just curious, once someone gets into the GPP is there any chance of not completing the prog? like is there an assesment etc? or is it sort of guaranteed to get through after the 9mth training? Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SUTL Corporation Fearoftheunknown Companies 3 27-03-2019 09:00 PM
Sentosa Development Corporation Zmallwood Income and Jobs 2 20-12-2018 03:36 PM
Petrochemical Corporation Singapore Unknown123 Income and Jobs 0 21-03-2018 07:59 AM
Grand 99 Hotel by Sunland Development Corporation newlaunchsingapore General Discussions 0 21-04-2015 01:30 PM
Year 2013 PACT/ AEIS Preparatory Course to enter Government Schools- Singapore gratifytuitionagency Education and Personal Growth 0 17-11-2012 03:04 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,180 Replies, 2,579,828 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,864 Replies, 1,448,872 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,277 Replies, 4,789,815 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
136 Replies, 40,293 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,133 Replies, 1,712,769 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
405 Replies, 394,353 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,938 Replies, 1,797,062 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,121 Replies, 1,365,002 Views
Jobless for a long long time ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 4,204 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,384 Replies, 600,616 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,030 Replies, 260,744 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 104,908 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
517 Replies, 293,135 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,100 Replies, 546,202 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,874 Replies, 624,817 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,712 Replies, 7,459,122 Views
architecture graduate - go hdb or...
3 Replies, 1,369 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 19,799 Views
Grab Finance Graduate Programme... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,621 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
799 Replies, 216,452 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,772 Replies, 4,404,478 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 11,900 Views
Need advice - local bank or bulge... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 823 Views
Career Switch To Be A Teacher ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 2,463 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
569 Replies, 455,304 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,031 Replies, 752,275 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
156 Replies, 65,675 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,471 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2