Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Engineering Land Systems (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/13800-st-engineering-land-systems.html)

mugenboy 06-07-2021 03:24 AM

ST Engineering Land Systems

Anyone have work in ST Engineering Land Systems? Maybe more specific is to Land Defence System? Is this a good place to work until retirement?:confused:

Unregistered 06-07-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugenboy (Post 176988)
Anyone have work in ST Engineering Land Systems? Maybe more specific is to Land Defence System? Is this a good place to work until retirement?:confused:

Good if you are lazy, able to take toxic politics and know how to carry balls.
Bad if you are hardworking, able to critical think and has strong competence in your work.

Unregistered 08-07-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176998)
Bad if you are hardworking, able to critical think and has strong competence in your work.

Cannot be gender specific. So, carry balls, carry eggs is important for job survival. This, they dont teach in schools.

Unregistered 13-11-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

I am from an MNC. Interviewed someone from ST before. Felt like a fresh grad in spite of more than 2 year exp. Don't even have basic understanding of commonly used knowledge.

Unregistered 13-11-2021 10:35 PM

Very niche and very little transferable skillset. SAF/MINDEF is your real boss

Unregistered 16-11-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189938)
Very niche and very little transferable skillset. SAF/MINDEF is your real boss

Is this skillset competence problem very serious over there? I interviewed a ST employee that was let go like 2 years ago. Even though he has working experience, his level of knowledge was very low and could tell he seems to have spent many years doing nothing. So I'm not sure if this is a wide spread problem or just that person.

Unregistered 16-11-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190152)
Is this skillset competence problem very serious over there? I interviewed a ST employee that was let go like 2 years ago. Even though he has working experience, his level of knowledge was very low and could tell he seems to have spent many years doing nothing. So I'm not sure if this is a wide spread problem or just that person.

ST got 2 grp of ppl,the lazy one that Chao keng and Siam everything waiting for pay day every month and the hardworking one who tank everything and OT everyday. Sad to say, the skill level and learning curve is very low in ST so even the hard working one might be just doing simple and low level data entry work everyday for 5-10 yr. In addition, most of the hardware and software which most of the st client use is very outdated and old (saf and govt), which the skillset they learn is no longer relevant in the outside world.
Most of this people NV work in other place before (frog in a well) think that what they do is very technical.

So, alot of them failed to move out of st or even move back to ST after they tried to look for job

Unregistered 16-11-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190157)
ST got 2 grp of ppl,the lazy one that Chao keng and Siam everything waiting for pay day every month and the hardworking one who tank everything and OT everyday. Sad to say, the skill level and learning curve is very low in ST so even the hard working one might be just doing simple and low level data entry work everyday for 5-10 yr. In addition, most of the hardware and software which most of the st client use is very outdated and old (saf and govt), which the skillset they learn is no longer relevant in the outside world.
Most of this people NV work in other place before (frog in a well) think that what they do is very technical.

So, alot of them failed to move out of st or even move back to ST after they tried to look for job

I agree. I left ST after 5 years because of the lack of knowledge progression. Imagine after 5 years you are doing the same thing, even with promotion you are just overseeing someone doing your old job. Career progression is important, but with career progression, knowledge must increase, no matter hard or soft skills. In ST, there is none because no one truly takes charge unless is the senior management.

Unregistered 16-11-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Very true. People who wants to better themselves will leave ST after 4 to 5 years max. These days fresh grads are leaving ST every 1 to 2 years. I believe COVID might have slowed the number though.

My few years there I see at least 5 people leave every year.

Unregistered 16-11-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190163)
I agree. I left ST after 5 years because of the lack of knowledge progression. Imagine after 5 years you are doing the same thing, even with promotion you are just overseeing someone doing your old job. Career progression is important, but with career progression, knowledge must increase, no matter hard or soft skills. In ST, there is none because no one truly takes charge unless is the senior management.

There was a time when we interview anyone from ST, apart from the hard skills, we have to scrutinize them for...
-Lack of ability to think critically or independently
-Believes jobs are completed because of who they are & not what they do
-Thinks that the paper qualification and not meeting objectives is the destination to creating value
-Lacks a productivity driven objective, heck, do they even have an objective?
-Unable to adapt to changes or up to pace
-Focus on politics more than getting the job done
-No sense of urgency with the use of resources and time frame
-Able to get the job done efficiently
-Laziness

Then those who don't make it, go back to ST like so many other posters mentioned.

Unregistered 19-11-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190245)
There was a time when we interview anyone from ST, apart from the hard skills, we have to scrutinize them for...

Then those who don't make it, go back to ST like so many other posters mentioned.

-Lack of ability to think critically or independently >> yes, because ultimately it's the bosses who decide what to do.

-Believes jobs are completed because of who they are & not what they do >> yes, some PMs love to claim credit for just opening mouths and being mail man.

-Thinks that the paper qualification and not meeting objectives is the destination to creating value >> Yes, only first class honours background or scholars get promoted very quickly.

-Lacks a productivity driven objective, heck, do they even have an objective? Yes, projects can delay for unimaginable duration.

-Unable to adapt to changes or up to pace >> Yes, bosses don't believe the world outside has changed and their way of doing things are dinosaurs already.

-Focus on politics more than getting the job done >> Yes, backstabbing to get promotions.

-No sense of urgency with the use of resources and time frame >> Yes, bosses believe for the salary they pay the staff, the staff should perform superman tasks by doing multiple person's job scope. However, the bosses have no idea about the complexity of the tasks.

-Able to get the job done efficiently >> When one person has tasks for 5, 6 projects concurrently, very hard to be efficient when all the PMs don't even know their own project schedules.

-Laziness >> If the staff is E6 and above, they can just throw whatever tasks they do not want to the E5s.

Unregistered 21-11-2021 07:32 AM

Also don't forget the parachutes of those who can't survive elsewhere.

Unregistered 22-11-2021 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190797)
Also don't forget the parachutes of those who can't survive elsewhere.

they are marios who landed on you goombas

Unregistered 24-11-2021 03:35 PM

Especially these 3. Personal experiences while interviewing ST people.

-Believes jobs are completed because of who they are & not what they do >> yes, some PMs love to claim credit for just opening mouths and being mail man.
"I have n years of experience, I know what to do, you don't have to teach me."

-Lacks a productivity driven objective, heck, do they even have an objective? Yes, projects can delay for unimaginable duration.
Can tell me what he did but doesn't know why he did it. He just did it because he does not want to be the 'smart alec' (sic) to change things.

-Thinks that the paper qualification and not meeting objectives is the destination to creating value >> Yes, only first class honours background or scholars get promoted very quickly.
Kept harping on this funny idea that his promotions in our company if he is hired is tied to his paper qualification only. When I asked about upgrading, he thought must do masters. I was actually referring to professional certificates relevant to the role.

Unregistered 30-11-2021 10:06 PM

Can anyone advise what's the pre covid average annual increment in ST? TIA!

Unregistered 30-11-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192025)

Also the pre covid average bonus?

Unregistered 01-12-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192025)

Contract staff is < 2% on average to my knowledge.

Unregistered 01-12-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192036)
Also the pre covid average bonus?

1 month on average for contract staff.

Unregistered 01-12-2021 08:49 PM

what about perm?

Unregistered 02-12-2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192169)
what about perm?

Perm increment is 40-60

Bonus 1-1.4 month

You might get a bit more base one band

Unregistered 03-12-2021 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 192216)
perm increment is 40-60

bonus 1-1.4 month

you might get a bit more base one band

40-60%???

_______

Unregistered 03-12-2021 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192358)
40-60%???

_______

obviously dollars

Unregistered 24-12-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191299)
Especially these 3. Personal experiences while interviewing ST people.

"I have n years of experience, I know what to do, you don't have to teach me."

Can tell me what he did but doesn't know why he did it. He just did it because he does not want to be the 'smart alec' (sic) to change things.

Kept harping on this funny idea that his promotions in our company if he is hired is tied to his paper qualification only. When I asked about upgrading, he thought must do masters. I was actually referring to professional certificates relevant to the role.

This one must be never work in ST before. Here your paper qualification is what will help you promote. And also your politics skills. Not how much you do or how well you perform.

VinnyF 17-04-2024 08:00 AM

Quote:

This place is for the parachutes to retire lah lol

VinnyF 17-04-2024 08:09 AM

Been there to know

Quote:

This place is for the "parachuters" to retire lah lol
They will make a place for them, l l.
They will say your salary is market rate but we know all data has a range right? Is it in the lower or higher range? Lol.. it's confidential and I've never heard them paying well because they pay passionate engineer's salary but not a professional job salary! Lol...