Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   IMDA (under MCI) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/11815-imda-under-mci.html)

Azureblue 19-07-2019 06:00 AM

IMDA (under MCI)

Hi all,

Anybody who have worked at either Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI) and/or the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) care to share their opinions and experiences of the work and organisation culture at these places?

Thanks in advance and greatly appreciated!

Unregistered 19-07-2019 09:26 AM

Have been with IMDA for a year and a half now. Organization culture is pretty friendly, not too many politics and drama given that it’s a statboard. However, should you choose to join the public service, please be prepared for the multi layers of approval and red lines that severely impacts the efficiency on a lot of matters.

Aside from the typical cons of the public service, i’d say IMDA is a pretty nice place to work at. We’ve got a killer pantry/office which is a plus too.

Unregistered 19-07-2019 07:52 PM

Imda

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121790)
Have been with IMDA for a year and a half now. Organization culture is pretty friendly, not too many politics and drama given that it’s a statboard. However, should you choose to join the public service, please be prepared for the multi layers of approval and red lines that severely impacts the efficiency on a lot of matters.

Aside from the typical cons of the public service, i’d say IMDA is a pretty nice place to work at. We’ve got a killer pantry/office which is a plus too.

Sorry to interrupt;
How's the work-life balance? Or any comments about the workload and organization/management direction? Thanks

Unregistered 21-07-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121807)
Sorry to interrupt;
How's the work-life balance? Or any comments about the workload and organization/management direction? Thanks

wrong place to come if you are looking for work life balance. this org is looking for high performing ppl. if u want to come and slack, wrong place.

if you cannot perform, you will be ask to go. workload is high and you are expected to do things well yet fast.

management is pretty good, but whole org overworked.

Unregistered 22-07-2019 11:49 AM

Which MX grade is IMDA grade 7 pegged to? Anyone here knows?

Unregistered 22-07-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121904)
Which MX grade is IMDA grade 7 pegged to? Anyone here knows?

Grade 7 is very low bro. Grades 6 and 7 are for fresh graduates or 0-1 years of experience.

Unregistered 22-07-2019 02:09 PM

I was with IMDA for less than a year. These are pros and cons: -

Pro
(1) Remuneration is supposedly pegged to fast-growing tech sector.
(2) Lots of interesting projects that have direct impact on Singapore society and Singapore economy.
(3) A lot of projects are in national spotlight. You can see Singapore 2019 budget and more than 20% of the projects therein (relating to economy) are spearheaded by IMDA.

Con
(1) Government service is bureaucratic and the directors (and those below) are fearful and only want to protect their position. I joined mid-career and i have never seen people so fearful of giving less than favourable news to their line managers.
(2) Hierarchical and divorced from private sector.
(3) High turnover. When I was there, between 15-20% leaves the organisation within a 12 month period.
(4) Level of competence of your colleagues (even those who are assistant or deputy director level) are very very low.

Unregistered 22-07-2019 08:42 PM

Annual Bonus at IMDA

Anybody can share about the annual bonus package at IMDA? Around how many months for an average performer? Also, what does the package consists of and do they follow the ministries' publicly announced mid-year and year-end AVC bonuses? Thx alot!! (:

Unregistered 23-07-2019 12:03 PM

mid year and year end should be announced

Unregistered 24-07-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121928)
Anybody can share about the annual bonus package at IMDA? Around how many months for an average performer? Also, what does the package consists of and do they follow the ministries' publicly announced mid-year and year-end AVC bonuses? Thx alot!! (:

IMDA pays salary, 13th month, performance bonus and corporate bonus. Performance bonus for a new joiner is 2.75 months (and this is quite fixed unless you are an exceptional performer or got a promotion). Corporate bonus is between 1 to 1.5 months.

They don't follow the ministry.

Unregistered 24-07-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122030)
IMDA pays salary, 13th month, performance bonus and corporate bonus. Performance bonus for a new joiner is 2.75 months (and this is quite fixed unless you are an exceptional performer or got a promotion). Corporate bonus is between 1 to 1.5 months.

On top on these, do they have civil service mid year bonus, year end bonus and Special variable payment (when economy do well) ?

Unregistered 26-07-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122032)
On top on these, do they have civil service mid year bonus, year end bonus and Special variable payment (when economy do well) ?

Previous post already say dun follow ministry what!!!

Unregistered 26-07-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122030)

2.75 mths PB for new joiner is really solid

Unregistered 27-07-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122126)

fake news. not all get this.

Unregistered 13-08-2019 06:56 PM

Ministry of Comms and Info

Anybody have any experience or opinions to share about culture and working in MCI?

Unregistered 13-08-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122607)
Anybody have any experience or opinions to share about culture and working in MCI?

long hours as govt communications are tough

Unregistered 14-10-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121911)
Grade 7 is very low bro. Grades 6 and 7 are for fresh graduates or 0-1 years of experience.

pls dun talk rubbish. G7 can be people with even 8 years experience

Unregistered 17-10-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124118)
pls dun talk rubbish. G7 can be people with even 8 years experience

Isn't grade 7 still in the assistant manager level?

Unregistered 20-10-2019 11:32 AM

8 years to hit asst manager seems a bit off.

Unregistered 22-10-2019 10:22 AM

The guy probably on cruise control. haha

Unregistered 14-11-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124280)
8 years to hit asst manager seems a bit off.

then what is 8years exp supposed to be and pay range?

2.75 pb is conservative btw

Unregistered 09-05-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122126)

Dont think it's 2.75 mth PB for 1st year. It's 1. something mth for a C grader?

Unregistered 09-05-2020 01:51 PM

Hi, 2nd upper NTU biz graduate in biz analytics (previously interned at MCCY & IMDA). Offered a role as AM in innovation and tech ecosystem.I work as an Assistant Manager.

Base Pay - $3050.
PB & AWS uncertain - confirmed with HR, no firm answer due to Covid, advised that I’m already fortunate enough to be offered a position with them as IMDA is freezing hire.

Comparing with other in the past, it seems to be way lower than expected - was expecting a 3.5k at least. Not sure to take up this offer or not but it’s my only offer. Any advice or insights?

Unregistered 09-05-2020 05:58 PM

Add on to Base Pay based on Class of Honors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133607)
Hi, 2nd upper NTU biz graduate in biz analytics (previously interned at MCCY & IMDA). Offered a role as AM in innovation and tech ecosystem.I work as an Assistant Manager.

Base Pay - $3050.
PB & AWS uncertain - confirmed with HR, no firm answer due to Covid, advised that I’m already fortunate enough to be offered a position with them as IMDA is freezing hire.

Comparing with other in the past, it seems to be way lower than expected - was expecting a 3.5k at least. Not sure to take up this offer or not but it’s my only offer. Any advice or insights?

I heard that the Base pay will be revised based on your class of honours. Might want to ask HR about this to check how much the actual pay will be for a 2nd upper. I heard that after adding on your honours, the pay may be closer to 4k. Is that true?

Unregistered 09-05-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133636)
I heard that the Base pay will be revised based on your class of honours. Might want to ask HR about this to check how much the actual pay will be for a 2nd upper. I heard that after adding on your honours, the pay may be closer to 4k. Is that true?

no la, 2nd upper not so high.

somewhere around 3.5k-3.8k sounds reasonable.

go ask the HR, tell them its unfair. if they do not want to discuss just quit.

Unregistered 09-05-2020 08:53 PM

FCH econs NTU, NS completed.

AM role - 3.1k offered on tues. Accepted on wed.

HR gave a timeline of 2 days not necessarily helpful. Feels like they are forcing us to make a decision asap. But given current circumstances better than being jobless.

Stay hopeful peeps. Hopefully things get better.

Side note, how much is the yoy increment?

Unregistered 09-05-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133648)
FCH econs NTU, NS completed.

AM role - 3.1k offered on tues. Accepted on wed.

HR gave a timeline of 2 days not necessarily helpful. Feels like they are forcing us to make a decision asap. But given current circumstances better than being jobless.

Stay hopeful peeps. Hopefully things get better.

Side note, how much is the yoy increment?

Did you ask HR what is the range of salary for an AM, i.e. the floor and ceiling of the payscale for your current grade? It might be in your contract and you can take a look and do a comparison. But 3.1 is really low. We might not know but it could be public service wide move in view of the tough outlook

Unregistered 09-05-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133607)

Base Pay - $3050.

Did you serve NS? 2nd upper for 3K seems a bit low. For info, ICA already offers min 3.9K for 2nd upper (I presume without NS) from what I see from careergov.

Unregistered 10-05-2020 02:04 AM

I think maybe it's because of COVID-19. I'm an NUS FCH female fresh graduate working at MCI, my salary is $3300. Had big hopes to earn $3.7k but I panicked and took whatever job I could, since private was also offering a salary at this level.

Unregistered 10-05-2020 01:38 PM

From the recent posts here, it sounds like the starting pay for CS has already been adjusted downwards due to the bad economy. Hopefully they wont announce a pay cut in June as some are speculating.

Unregistered 10-05-2020 03:11 PM

This is really bad, a lot worse than i'd anticipated as i'd expected the public service to be more immune to wage adjustments...

I accepted offer back in early march before all the CB and economic spiral, NTU 2nd upper female 3.4k. Following the timeline, yeah i'd say it's really an adjustment triggered by the covid situation.

I'm worried though, cause im not sure if accepting a covid offer of 3.1 now will be subject to readjustments in the future when the economy picks up? Or will you always be at a disadvantageous start... But yeah silver lining is at least you secured a job.

Anyway in my contract it states that the salary range for substantive grade Grade 12B is $3,110 to $5,880.

What are your indicative grades, and have the figures been adjusted in your contracts?

Unregistered 10-05-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133702)
From the recent posts here, it sounds like the starting pay for CS has already been adjusted downwards due to the bad economy. Hopefully they wont announce a pay cut in June as some are speculating.

That's strange, I started my CS job in Jan this year and recently got pay adjustment upwards (not much tho)

Unregistered 11-05-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133737)
That's strange, I started my CS job in Jan this year and recently got pay adjustment upwards (not much tho)

same. $100 increase from last year's batch of graduates. looks like govt pay did not decrease

Unregistered 11-05-2020 12:51 AM

substantive grade grade

Can someone advise what's the substantive grade in IMDA? How are this grade tag to salary?

Unregistered 11-05-2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133737)

you work at mci/imda? methinks it's a case specific to the ministry, i.e. imda and mci lowballing everyone. got a friend who was lowballed also, 3.2k second upper, she's wondering to take it or not. can cs from these two share their salaries?

Unregistered 11-05-2020 02:07 AM

Sigh. I'm really bummed out. I'm grateful to have a job in this climate but to be lowballed at this stage and knowing that my next salary will be based on this current amount really sucks, especially since I worked my xxx off for that FCH, only to be screwed over by the economy.

Unregistered 11-05-2020 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133755)
you work at mci/imda? methinks it's a case specific to the ministry, i.e. imda and mci lowballing everyone. got a friend who was lowballed also, 3.2k second upper, she's wondering to take it or not. can cs from these two share their salaries?

Based on current forecast, likely to face the worst ever recession starting Q3.
To prevent paycut pandemic, cost cutting measures will be imposed on non essential jobs/position everywhere on private or public sector.
Comparing fresh grad vs experienced, which is considered more essential/important?
Would you choose to cut fresh grad starting pay or cut employee pay?

You friend should compared all the offers available on her table in deciding whether to accept the job.
If this is the one and only available now. What is she waiting for?

Unregistered 11-05-2020 10:18 AM

They lowballed you because they know they can.

On the bright side nus is offering 4000 traineeships at $2.5k each

So it is either to take this 3.1k or a 2.5k traineeship of 1 year contract.

Unregistered 11-05-2020 12:51 PM

Honestly, if i am the one, i will take the traineeship anytime. at least, come next yr, when the economy is better, i can smoke through and said that this is the traineeship program blah blah, and not subject to being seen as an experienced hire, which most likely will be based on the previous salary page.

The next hirer will always take this based on the previous salary and top at most another 10-20%, which is in this case, no different from grad hired prior to the covid-19.

Unregistered 11-05-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133755)

No, not mci/imda, a totally unrelated stat board