Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It really depends on the school. There are over 200 pri and sec schs as well as JCs, and each sch has its discretion in setting the official time for teachers to leave the workplace. In my previous school, teachers can only leave after 2.45pm on Mon, Tues & Thurs; 3.45pm on Wed; and 12.30pm on Friday. Some schools are quite liberal - 2pm or even 1pm. In schools where the Principal or management breathes down the necks of teachers, it's probably 4pm or 5pm for everybody. I'm glad that in my current school, the management trusts us, so our official departure time is quite good.

Yup it's possible to moonlight. I'm currently giving tuition to 4 students. In August alone I brought back $2000 in cash, so I save up my salary in full. (I live with my parents and I'm planning to get married soon). Tuition is indeed lucrative, and I rather use spare time helping other students as well as earning extra cash, than to plan sch activities or other time-consuming stuff. As long as you fulfill your minimum duties e.g. taking care of form class, planning lessons, marking etc, no one can fault you in sch.
How is it possible that you can moonlight and teach 4 students? There are teachers who say that they have to bring work home to mark till 12midnight. Is it an issue with time management?

Also, are those projects and event planning done on a voluntary basis or an assignmed basis - by the higher ups.

lastly, as a normal teacher (fulfilling the minimum duties), will progression up to GEO 5 and bonuses be much slower.