Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 AM
Unregistered

This is ********.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I may add my inputs, let's talk about what most singaporeans have done and then rank the schools accordingly.
With the exception of a very select few that have gone into academia, with a NUS LLB and go on to Yale to further their studies with a JSM and JSD, etc, most Singaporeans would traditionally have come from NUS/SMU for their undergrad LL.B.
My gut feel is that we view it this way among recruitment partners:
(1) the best are people with a LL.B (first class) from any law school (but sg qualified) and they go on to do a LL.M (or BCL) from either Cambridge, Harvard and Oxford. Those are the best. Of course if they have a PhD to supplement, even better. But chances are people with PhD go on to become academics.
(2) next, are people with BA law from Oxbridge. A BA law from oxbridge at high 2:1 is roughly equivalent to a NUS weak first class (more than 5% but below 10% of cohort) or a very strong SMU magna. A first from Oxbridge is in a league of its own and potentially equal in status to a strong first class or very high summa from SMU (more comparable are those with the double degrees rather than single degree).
(3) next are the people with strong NUS 2:1 or SMU magna. These are equivalent to a UCL/LSE/Durham first class. A mid 2:1 from NUS / SMU cum laude would be equivalent to all other first class on the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia).
(4) NUS weak 2:1 or 2:2 LL.B or SMU (lower than cum laude) would be equivalent to all 2:1 LL.B from the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia). A first class from the list of omitted universities would belong here.
(5) any 2:2 LL.B or lower from the list of scheduled universities / 2:1 LL.B from the list of omitted universities.