Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Hi fellow teachers, just want to do a rough benchmark with the market.

I have been teaching for a total of 6+ years and generally B performer with the occasional A. I was told this is roughly top 10-20% performance compared to the rest.

To be honest I feel my progression especially in terms of pay so far is rather disappointing. Currently SEO1 level drawing only ~6.8k even graduating with FCH from NTU and having served NS.

Is this suppose to be normal for a top performer? I understand teaching is not just about the dollars, but frankly seeing so many of my colleagues taking a lepak one corner approach and go through motion with average ratings, I don't seem to be progressing much faster.

If this carries on I might consider venturing outside to the private education sector as some of my ex-colleagues who have gone out are drawing significantly higher.
Life is all about choices, you cannot have the best of both worlds. Base on what you mention I assume you are around 31 years old drawing at least 18 months package as a top performer, that works out to be $122,400 give or take.

This sort of money at your age isn't shabby even by private sector standards. Of course you want to compare against cream of the crop in global MNC or foreign bank then yes it is just a fraction of what they can get.

But have you considered other things like working hours, less complicated work environment, job security etc.? You want to compare salary should at least compare with the non-scholars in other ministries and stat boards, compare with the elite in private sector is just apple vs orange.