Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 20-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Is the prospects for law graduates still great?

From what I can see, there has been a glut of lawyers since 2015. And in the long run, AI is poised to supplant lawyers in some areas of practice. Therefore, is it still worth it to spend 4 years in uni + 6 months on a tc (provided that I can even secure a tc in the first place) earning around 1/5 of my peers, to enter a career where I have a 75% possibility of quitting within 10 years?

Yes, the government has cut down on the number of UK schools that are recognised here, as well as increased the size of the pie by promoting Singapore as an international arbitration center. The legal industry is also probably protected, where local supply is monitored and regulated. However, no one knows the effectiveness of these measures and even if they do work as intended, how long will it take?

I have accepted an offer to study law locally, but there is still an opportunity for me to switch to other courses (Business and Computing may be?). As someone with no particular interest / preference, should I make the switch?