Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Public or MNC as fresh grad engineer
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenRice3366 View Post
Hi all, recently joined this forum as I have a huge dilemma on whether if I should join the public sector in particular LTA or a MNC whereby it would be Globalfoundries in this case as an EEE NTU engineer fresh grad with 2nd lower

Advantage of joining LTA would be the attractive higher starting salary as compared to Globalfoundries, however LTA being a public sector rumoured that they will favour their scholars more. Hence I'd perceive that career prospect wise joining MNC would be a wiser choice. Nonetheless I may be wrong as I am not experienced and I am just a fresh graduate with very minimal knowledge. Hence please forgive me for my mistakes and enlighten me .

In addition, I reckon that in LTA as an EEE grad I would be looking into IT/software related jobs while in Globalfoundries I would be looking into wafer fabrication jobs related such as product engineer or process engineering. Thus, in terms of interest both jobs seems rather appealing to me. Hence the dilemma.

Hope you guys can share some of your knowledge especially into career prospects related and pardon me for my poor english and any mistakes I've made. Thank You!
LTA no brainer!
public sector salary will never be competitive to private sector. All cases I know of that went from private to public take a pay-cut for better work/life balance. If the MNC is offering lower than LTA, you've been hugely lowballed.

On the other hand, public sector does have a slower career progression (unless like you mentioned for scholars), and fewer exit option. So if you believe you're truly a high calibre professional, then can consider private sector. But, if you're into engineering (unless it's computer engineering/software engineering), then career prospect in Singapore will most likely suck, so might as well just join LTA.