Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Being ruthless to be rich
View Single Post
Old 31-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Unregistered_101

You say that but if one were 100% then such things should not bother you at all franky, though such things rarely bother me I cannot for sure say 100%

But back to your question, I can give you my perspective but it will not help. How one values the dollar varies alot, unbringing, self esteem, personal commitments etc etc

I drive a 3 series but its on the higher capacity, people that know question why I would spend so much but when I go into the specifics of why I have the car they understand its a passion, another group who knows nuts would joke that I don't have the cash to buy a 5 series I laugh and agree with them and make a joke of it.

In reality to try and convince another party of your decision on dollar valuation would be the same, either you convince that you're sheer conviction of whatever it is you are doing led you to it and they do recognize where you are coming from or for the latter group you explain your background financing, how much your disposable income is etc. Lastly there is another group who will always think them self superior and will put down any values not consistent.

Of course no one wants to reveal that much, you have to selectively choose who you want to debate with on how much you think its worth to convince them, seriously if some "friend" whom you cannot convince logically keep jabbing you why bother seeing from their perspective. I stay true to how I value a dollar, I spend ridiculous amounts on what I like and I scrimp on items I don't. if I get challenged I will gauge who is asking and treat accordingly. Either I convince them, I laugh at it or I ignore as above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anormalguy View Post
Concerning those two groups of people, I believe I've reached a greater state of peace where I don't even bother with the rich people who show off. I've come 100% with terms that that's just not gonna be me. Not in this life time.

But the question is really what I am and what people expect of me. It's one thing to have your friends show off. It's another thing to have these same friends question your spending decisions - save on rent to get bigger house, take public transport, not going to investments while they don't realize you don't have that sheer size of capital to make it worth while.

You starting to see the point? I make decisions based on how I value a dollar. And because they value a dollar differently than I do, they make comments on my choices, which to me is making comments on me as a person. We both seek the same thing - a condo and a car, but choose to get there in different ways. One saves another waits for the big windfall.

I really don't want to bring particular industries in the mix. In this environment, or Singapore in general, people associate the sales, finance people as the ones getting the big windfall. And since I'm not in that industry, I can't see myself being that type of people to get that windfall of cash.