Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Unregistered

I was like you in the past... I weighed my options and consulted my scholarship officer. You should too. Her advice to me was not to jump into a Masters so soon after my Bachelors, because my interests might change. In addition, MOE is the most generous govt ministry in offering Masters sponsorships for in-service teachers. We can also get professional leave e.g lower teaching load while we pursue Masters. Of course the Masters must be related to your subject or teaching, not MBA etc.

Finally, MOE looks at your first degree for starting pay. My friend who had Masters had slightly lower pay than me because he was 2nd upper class while I was 1st class. And having Masters doesn't mean you are promoted faster. Your contributions to sch and teaching still matter the most. My colleagues who pursued Masters while teaching did so mainly because of genuine interest to learn more, and also because MOE sponsors a large part of the tuition fees, like 80 percent. They were not promoted faster. And I know overseas scholars who had Masters, they were posted to ordinary schools in their first posting, not much preferential treatment.

In short: very little benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

I am a local teaching scholar. I am in my final year at NUS, and there is an option for master sponsorship (both local and overseas), subjected of course to successful interview and good results. May I know the tangible and intangible benefits of having a masters as a teacher. I have heard stories where pay increment is negligible with a masters as a masters is not a pre-requisite for the job. Will job prospect be better with a masters? Lastly, is there a difference between local and overseas Masters in terms of salary and job prospects.

Thanks for all the response!