Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - is my civil service pay progression fast/slow/normal?
View Single Post
Old 19-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
yes, in terms of functional role.
on paper i'm a 'manager'
If you stay in your current job, you will always be comfortable. You won't be a millionaire, or at least you might take a while, but you will never starve either. You can probably own a car, pay off your house, buy a second property, etc when you are in your mid-forties. That's the reality. On the other hand, you appear disinclined toward your new job because of the pay differential. I believe you need to look at it more holistically, in terms of career earnings and not just annual pay. If you progress faster in your new job, or if it provides opportunity for you to move to other better paying jobs in the future, your career earnings may well be far better than in your current job. Unfortunately, that's what you will have to predict for yourself.

Frankly speaking, I am certain you know all the above. The choice is between guaranteed comfort and a small risk for potentially better prospects. You know that too. None of us can help you choose, because none of us know what you want in your life.

But if you are asking us to give you our opinion of what we would do in your situation, I would take up the new offer. Your progression in your current job is quite poor; you are aware that scholars are promoted much faster and their pay increases much faster. Some graduates in their late 20s already earn twice what you do. If you remain in your current job, you will always be second fiddle to them. Because I am ambitious, I would never be comfortable with that, so I would go to another place which offers me a chance to rise faster.