Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Unregistered

First, the maths.

Size matters when you are talking about investing for income. The dividends that one can get from the stocks can range from 4% to 8% pa on a more or less consistent basis (ie year on year).

Lets say the yearly average returns is 5%, then to get $100k in passive income, you will need to have $2mil invested. So if you want $200k pa in dividend income, you will need to have $4m in the market.

Now we look at risk management.
We have seen that the stock market can be very volatile. It goes up and it can also come down drastically and fast. If you have only $1m, I wouldn't recommend that you put all of it into the stock market. You could lose half of it (at least on paper) when you need the money most. Even if it is money that you can afford to "lose", and you want to invest in stocks, it is natural that you would spread out your bets over different kinds of shares. Thus using a 5% returns is a realistic figure.

For me, not including my home, my total invested amount stands at $4.7m as of today. To manage the risk, the money is spread over property, shares and bonds/cpf.

This spread of investment has been giving me passive income of over $100k over the last 5 years (not including capital gain). This year, we hope to cross the $150k passive income mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good sharing Sir.

I would like to know what have you invested to generate passive income of $150K. Does this include the CPF interest?

To generate consistent of $150K, I think the total portfolio investment is in the range of $2.5-$3.5M.

If you have invested that amount, do you still have cash saving that can last you for 2-3 years?

Solely myself (the mid-40s) is generating $50K/year based on investment and CPF. My net worth is $1.6M including the HDB flat (the one and only property) but excluding my spouse saving.

My spouse does not invest and has stopped work. Including my spouse, we have a total net worth of $2.5M.

I am aiming for a total net worth of $4.5M at age 65. It should can be achieved if I can continue work till then. However, work is never secure and health is not certain.

Thus I would like to learn tips from an experienced user on how to plan and invest for passive income.

Thank you