Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Taking significant pay cut for work-life balance
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see often people these days are outwardly very capable and resourceful but inwardly, they do not know what they want. I believe in asking yourself one serious question: how much happier would I be with more money (and while considering the sacrifices you have to make in order to earn them)? I tend to think that if more people take the time to ask themselves honestly and develop a balanced perspective, there will be alot less unhappy individuals among us.
How much work-life balance is required? It's really up to you. But the worst thing to do is simply to have a herd mentality and compare yourself to peers. Simply put, they are not the ones living your life, you are. The fact that people are talking more and more about the subject of work-life balance simply means that there is a lack of it. Conformity and discontentment eludes hapiness and the desire to seek it. Don't you wonder why at 40s or even 50s, people are still stuck talking about upgrading houses, car etc. when these are supposed to be at the lowest hierarchy of our needs? Why can't people move on to self-actualization projects at such an age when they already started their prime years? I suspect the answer is discontented and it is so sad because when they reach 60s, they would have already missed out.
What are examples of "self actualization projects". Is starting a business considered one?