Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello everybody, I am looking for professional advice for my career orientation.

My background: I'm a foreign Law graduate (LLB and Masters) with a Singapore degree (Masters of Law and finance from SMU). Experience wise, I have done internships in Singapore Law firms but I have no relevant experience in the financial/banking field.

My Goal: work in the AML/compliance as Compliance officer. I wish to make use of my law background to get into the field and work on matters related to the advisory part such as providing advices on the applicable laws and regulations,participate in the preparation of internal policies to ensure that the bank’s obligations are respected….

Compliance officer requires experience in banking sector which i don't have. However, I have been offered the operational position of "KYC analyst".

My issue:is KYC Analyst a good stepping stone toward my goal as compliance officer. In other words, would an working as a KYC Analyst be considered as relevant experience for a job as compliance officer? and how valuable is my legal background and experience in that field?

thank you very much for your time.
Is there a reason why you decided not to pursue a legal career, and choose t o a compliance/AML related role?

Within Compliance / AML, there are always many people who are legally trained, but they are usually performing an advisory role or investigation role. KYC analyst may not be the best stepping stone and your pay is unlikely going to be exciting. You should try for an in-house legal position in a bigger organization, and see if you can switch to a compliance/aml advisory role, within the same business.