Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agreed.

Even with 50-70 of you, i dare say bulk of them are just going through the motion and/or simply fixated at following whats written in the procedures/ policies set by your compliance / management.

If you really like to venture deeper into this field, do learn as much as possible about the work you're doing, the guiding principles behind the policies or specific clauses within the regulations.

Not asking you master everything under the sun for FCC but at least be very good and understand fully what you're doing and the outcome/ results it brings.
I think you have all missed the most important point.

"I have no desire to move into a leaders position managing offshore teams and like I said I hate the 'another-widget-off-the-belt' feeling associated with operations."

To me, if you are not keen to step up, and take on a leader position or take a job that nobody wants, being interested in something means nothing to a supervisor or a senior. In all truth and honesty, nobody wants to do jobs that everyone thinks is shitty, ranging from traveling to India, to dealing with difficult/challenging teams, or raising your hand to take a job that has been vacant for a significant amount of time. However, you have to take a view that this shitty job, is a stepping stone to the next job that you want. It may not be related but it reflects a positive work attitude, and its the work attitude that a lot of seniors are interested in.

Who doesn't want to earn $500,000 pa, have 3 hour lunches, start work at 10am and leave office at 5pm? You have to realize that most functions within AML, do not require a special talent to be outstanding and working endless of hours means nothing to a senior. You do not need to be a genius to understand how transaction monitoring work, how to conduct an investigation, how to dispose name screening alerts, or even to be part of the aml advisory team. However, you need to have a strong work ethnics and get business to support your decision/advice.

From a personal experience, I raised my hand twice, to take on roles that nobody wants. Both situations were the worst time of my career, because of the amount of work, people that I have to deal with, hours that I have to endure for 6 months to a year. The result, I got promoted twice in the past 6 years, and I am currently earning 4 times of what I was earning, when I first joined the bank.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app